Side planks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Side planks

I'm really enjoying working on planks to firm up my abs. Hard effort but I can see results!

I recently started doing side planks and was wondering if they would make my waist ''thick''? Until I gained weight, I always had a small waist (think hourglass figure) and now that I'm whittling the fat away I want to work on getting that tiny waist again. I want firm, but not too much muscle built up on my sides.

Do side planks make your waist thick?

If so, is there any other exercises I could focus on to sculpt down my waist?

Don't worry about "sculpting" your waist until you lose all the fat you want first. Do your planks or don't do them. If, when you get down to the fat level you want, you think your obliques make your waist too thick, stop doing planks and they will fade over time.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

I say do em! Like said above, if you don't like the way it affects your waist, don't do em. Till then, get addicted to having killer support for your entire upper body.

Comment

Side planks hurt my elbows
        Stats: 5'6" female, 21 years young
        Starting Weight: 187 lbs (March 2010)
        Current Weight: 143 lbs (Oct 2011)
        Goal BF: 20%

Super D Omega 3 daily & BCAAs preworkout

Comment

Originally posted by Meg-a-Tron View Post
          Put a pillow under your elbow. I do my ab wheel with a pillow under my knees. I'm almost able to do it standing, which by the way is rediculasly hard.
          "Live Free or Die"

Comment

I need to start doing these. Try them later today.

Planks have done wonders for my lower back.

Comment

Originally posted by goodangels View Post

Do side planks make your waist thick?
              No.

If so, is there any other exercises I could focus on to sculpt down my waist?
              The best way to sculpt your waist is to "exercise" some restraint at the dinner table.

Originally posted by Meg-a-Tron View Post
              So do 'em on your hands, like I'm doing in the photo which accompanies this nice tutorial on planks and side planks.
              "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Al_Kavadlo View Post
                The best way to sculpt your waist is to "exercise" some restraint at the dinner table.

So do 'em on your hands, like I'm doing in the photo which accompanies this nice tutorial on planks and side planks.
                Hey Al!

I checked out your videos and blog - awesome stuff! You're very motivating. It's obvious you walk the talk. Keep up the good work getting us whipped into shape.

Yes, restraint at the dinner table. Always sage advice

I do my front planks on my elbows and my side planks on my hands. Works for me.

I've been working up from a pushup to a pushup, then transition to side plank, then back to pushup. Whew! Killer.
                Last edited by goodangels; 04-09-2011, 07:32 AM.

Comment

I would assume that because you are tightening/strengthening the muscle it will become firm & smaller and not bulky. I don't know what you define as bulky though and we may have different definitions =) But from my experience, my waist/abs has always been determined by my diet.
                  Cheers to LIFE!--Bree

www.sassyprimal.com

Comment

You abs won't get bulky. Planks are awesome for building strength and stability, but waist size is primarily affected by diet and genetics. Exercises don't "sculpt" your waist thinner--spot reduction of fat is a myth.
                    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Owly View Post
                      You abs won't get bulky. Planks are awesome for building strength and stability, but waist size is primarily affected by diet and genetics. Exercises don't "sculpt" your waist thinner--spot reduction of fat is a myth.
                      +1
                      Sandbag Training For MMA & Combat Sports
                      Sandbag Training Guide on Kindle
                      The Complete Guide To Sandbag Training
                      Brute Force Sandbags
                      www.facebook.com/sandbagfitness
                      http://fitedia.com/ - Health and Fitness eBooks, video, audio and workshops

Comment

I want to get into these. I watched Al`s video and I understand how to do them. Now my question is what is a good routine for a beginner? I mean I know I should focus on increasing my time spent in the plank but do I do say 30 sec. of a hand plank and then try to do 30 sec`s of each of the others or what? And can I do them daily or should I skip around a do a rest day in between?
                        "Anxiety is a sign of spiritual insecurity"
                        www.beachbodycoach.com/fatbusters

Comment

I had a rude awakening at a tango festival last weekend when I realized that my ab strength was insufficient to protect my back during some of the leaning steps I learned, so I've started doing three sets of 30s plank and 15s side plank on each side three times a week in the morning. Personally, I think that ab strength is so important for everyday life that I don't care if my waist looks a little bulky. That, and it's a lot more important to watch diet for waist size than it is to avoid certain exercises.

I'll probably work up to 45s-1min planks and 30s side planks in the future if what I do now feels too easy. And maybe add L-sits. But right now I'm a little weakling.

Comment

Hey Al!

I checked out your videos and blog - awesome stuff! You're very motivating. It's obvious you walk the talk. Keep up the good work getting us whipped into shape.

Yes, restraint at the dinner table. Always sage advice

I do my front planks on my elbows and my side planks on my hands. Works for me.

I've been working up from a pushup to a pushup, then transition to side plank, then back to pushup. Whew! Killer.
                            Glad you found it helpful - keep up the good work!

Originally posted by pattyd View Post
                            I want to get into these. I watched Al`s video and I understand how to do them. Now my question is what is a good routine for a beginner? I mean I know I should focus on increasing my time spent in the plank but do I do say 30 sec. of a hand plank and then try to do 30 sec`s of each of the others or what? And can I do them daily or should I skip around a do a rest day in between?
                            If you can do a 30 second hand plank, I'd recommend progressing to elbow planks. Build up to a minute on your elbows and then you can try harder variations like I showed in the video.

Oh and I think it's fine to practice them every day if you want to. Just give yourself rest if you're sore or tired.
                            "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Al_Kavadlo View Post

If you can do a 30 second hand plank, I'd recommend progressing to elbow planks. Build up to a minute on your elbows and then you can try harder variations like I showed in the video.

Oh and I think it's fine to practice them every day if you want to. Just give yourself rest if you're sore or tired.
                              But how do you classify a set? And how many sets should I aim for?
                              "Anxiety is a sign of spiritual insecurity"
                              www.beachbodycoach.com/fatbusters

Comment

Working...
                              X