No announcement yet.

Starting Strength and Paleo diet.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been doing paleo and starting strength for the last 3 months, it works like a charm. I've gained 5lbs while dropping ~5% body fat (been doing leangains) and having all my lifts go up nicely.
    I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

Comment

Judging from all the comments, it seems that it's quite possible. Gaining weight will be nice for me, but in fact I don't care about my BW as long as I keep progressing to at least 1.5xBW Squat and 2xBW Deadlift. I am 72-73 kgs now/~160 lbs. I hope my weight and strength gain goal curves will meet at some point.

It's the part with "eat whatever you want, precisely a fuckton of milk and junk food/starchy foods" that was troubling me until now, having in mind I want to be healthy as well. Digestion issues are also a valid point. It's just not worth it to feel so miserable and uncomfortable (especially in work/social environment).

That's great! Thank you for the nice feedback, guys. I will definitely try it out.

Comment

I do essentially an advanced version of SS, i.e. same lifts, different progression, and find it very easy to get enough calories. If milk isn't your thing, it can be replicated with plenty of other food, though I'd include dairy if possible. Mark Rippetoe doesn't claim to be a nutrition guru.
        Lifting Journal

Comment

Bit of a thread necromancy... how did the paleo guys go with the lifts? Progress was fine? Sounds like you guys were hitting 5k calories even on paleo? or was 3.5k + sufficient protein enough to make progress. I have noticed strength loss since switching to paleo but I haven't been anal about protein intake. I will be from this week.

Comment

Rippetoe advises on his board that heavy guys can make good progress on his program for a long time while losing body fat through a paleo or ketosis diet. The overall body weight will stay the same or go down slowly as fat disappears, the lifts get heavier and the muscles get bigger.

I eat paleo and follow Rippetoe's program loosely now -- I'm an intermediate at this point and linear programing from workout-to-workout does not provide enough work / rest to drive gains. I am also heavy and am eating a caloric deficit (down 50 pounds in 5 months). For me, maintaining my strength while getting leaner is an ideal goal.

When I'm at a healthier body weight, I will turn my attention to building strength and power again. I'll eat Paleo and have to work hard to get my protein up to 250 grams a day -- that's a lot of beef jerky -- and eat with a small caloric surplus.

Bottom line is if you can get a small caloric surplus and get macro nutrients up high enough to provide for recovery and muscle building on a paleo diet (and we know you can) there is no reason why it wouldn't work the same as any other nutrition program or even better for strength training.
            April 2012, SW 330 / CW 266 / GW Able to do 10 pull ups
            Personal best lifts: Squat - 315, Deadlift - 435, Bench - 275, Press - 165 Strong enough? Not yet!

Father of 3 young boys who has gone Paleo to kick a 40-year addiction to carbs. An aspiring powerlifter who wants to be the strongest (and now fittest) dad on the playground.

Comment

Thanks Dan. Worth a try. When I first started SS I ate everything I got both strong and fat and I couldnt say I felt the best. Since switching to paleo I am thinner and healthier but progress is very hard to make. Will focus on my diet more in the coming weeks.

Originally posted by deadliftdan View Post
              Father of 3 young boys who has gone Paleo to kick a 40-year addiction to carbs. An aspiring powerlifter who wants to be the strongest (and now fittest) dad on the playground.
              Sound like me. I have 4 kids and I am 40 as well My interest is strength above all other lifting objectives.

Comment

I'm doing SS on a heavy Paleo diet. Rip himself says that GOMAD is just for the skinny young guys. If you are 20+% body fat, you've got enough available energy stores w/o GOMAD. Eat a LOT of meat and veggies and you will do fine on SS.

Comment

Originally posted by Gene View Post
                  I'm doing SS on a heavy Paleo diet. Rip himself says that GOMAD is just for the skinny young guys. If you are 20+% body fat, you've got enough available energy stores w/o GOMAD. Eat a LOT of meat and veggies and you will do fine on SS.
                  Great, thanks for the feedback. Started amping up this week but sticking to paleo instead of "all you can eat".

Comment

no net yet....

Comment

Working...
                    X