Variety of Strength training at HOME

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Variety of Strength training at HOME

I don't have access to a gym, so I was wondering if you guys could share a VARIETY of different exercises so that my muscles don't get habituated with the same type over and over again. And also how to do them (reps, sets?)

Right now I'm just doing pushups and pullups, along with some ab exercises.

thanks!
    feel free to take a look at my journal!

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...primal-journal!

There are a huge variety of exercises you can do with pushups and pullups just by varying grips and body position. Some might say that your strength gains are going to be relatively modest with bodyweight exercises. However, you can very easily tailor your routine for strength IMO. If you can do...

- 5 one-armed pullups with each arm
    - 10 unassisted handstand pushups
    - 5 one-armed decline pushups with your feet up on the bed
    - 10 pistol squats with each leg

...then I think you have a lot of strength. Not enough for you? Then add a 50lb weight vest and try again.

Comment

Download Marks Primal Blueprint Fitness e-book. Its free. All you have to do is sign up for his newsletter. Do the 5 essential primal movements and/or the WOW 2-3 times per week.

Do this and your golden.
      Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Comment

Eh, I got off on a tangent and didn't really answer your question very clearly or directly. Sorry about that. What was I talking about again? Oh yeah...mixing up grips and whatnot. It would help to know what you're currently doing for pullups/pushups/abs. What different grips you use, whether you use a weighted vest, what your rep/set schemes are like, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Primal Toad View Post
          Download Marks Primal Blueprint Fitness e-book. Its free. All you have to do is sign up for his newsletter. Do the 5 essential primal movements and/or the WOW 2-3 times per week.

Do this and your golden.
          +1
          Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
          Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
          Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

I got a power rack on craigslist. I do squats, presses, deadlifts, everything you do in a gym I do at home. No fees, no commute, no crowds. And I can always get my money back out of it whenever I want.

Gordo

Comment

Originally posted by gordo View Post
              I got a power rack on craigslist. I do squats, presses, deadlifts, everything you do in a gym I do at home. No fees, no commute, no crowds. And I can always get my money back out of it whenever I want.

Gordo
              +1 to this. i just found the deal of a lifetime. a 300lb olympic weight set with a curling bar and a heavy duty bench for......75 dollars! seriously, i thought it was a trick. you probably won't be as lucky as me, but i see them regularly for 150 or so, and you can ALWAYS resell weights

Comment

I found this guy before I found primal. He is as hard core primal as it gets

RossTraining.com - Never Gymless

Comment

I've got lots of free content on my blog about bodyweight training, like this post about no-equipment workouts or this one about mastering your bodyweight. If you like those, take a look around the rest of the site. I've got tons of info to keep your at home workouts fresh and challenging.
                  "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

sigpic

Comment

Really informational site you have.
                    Anyway,I have a question.

After years of obsessive compulsive chronic cardioing 5 days a week and still felt like I wasn't doing enough,bc I couldn't lose my belly,now I know why.It was bc of sugar&gluten...and because I have Lyme disease.
                    For once in my life I'd like to be able to workout for the right reasons,which is to get strong so I can beat the Lyme,and not have it be about the amount of food eaten anymore or anxiety of getting fat.
                    So,I was wondering if the workouts on your site would be suitable for me?how to go about this?(have you ever trained someone similar?)
                    I can't do running/sprinting due to inflammation/pain in my kneejoints. Also I need to keep Cortisol down,bc of my own chronic cardioing&mental stress together with Lyme,I think I really fatigued my glands and all the fat immediately packs on my stomach! Though I need a little fat to pack on my upper body,grow my boobs back!

I'd love to be able to hire a personal trainer such as yourself,but that's financially impossible,I can't even financially afford going to the gym.(That might be an upside in a weird sense,maybe my brain will finally learn that you don't have to go to the gym daily for several hours in order to get good results....and it will finally shut up and stop sabotaging my thoughts/moods!)

Comment

Thanks - glad you're finding the info on my site helpful! As far as specific advice for you on how to begin, I think you should try the beginner workout in the first post I linked to before. If you can't do everything on the list, just give it the best you can. With practice, you will make improvements.

And of course I recommend you pick up a copy of my book.
                      "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

sigpic

Comment

Ross Enamait is awesome!

I have 20 inch Oly DB's, a bunch of weights, made a T bar (courtesy of Ross), several sandbags, a pullup bar, rings and a few weight vests. No need to go to a gym!

I run outside, rain or shine, hot or cold. Saving up for a water rower.

Comment

I have an exercise ball, a pullup bar for a doorway ($40) and a suspension trainer (mine is homemade, but usually start at about $50).

I have a pretty long list of exercises that I can do with that equipment and sometimes a chair. Let me know if you want the full list- I've been compiling it from lots of sources based on what I like and what I need.

Lately I've put a 25-lb dumbbell in a backpack and started wearing that around as well. Soon I'll start working out with it as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Al_Kavadlo View Post
                            Thanks - glad you're finding the info on my site helpful! As far as specific advice for you on how to begin, I think you should try the beginner workout in the first post I linked to before. If you can't do everything on the list, just give it the best you can. With practice, you will make improvements.

And of course I recommend you pick up a copy of my book.
                            I understand you're trying to sell your book....but I unfortunately don't have the cash for it,I can't even buy the Primal Blueprint...though I'd like to really read it. besides that,I don't own a creditcard. So,I guess I'll just have to try and assemble my own workout routine from your clips and other sources. Too bad,there's no CF or Movnat here,although that probably will be too heavy/fast paced for me.

Btw,you've mentioned on your site to eat much veggies....but that also seems quite controversial in the Paleo scene. I still find it hard to know if and how much fat I need to add to a meal. is it also true that you need the glucose of the veggies to support muscle growth,together with quality proteine?

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchie View Post
                              I understand you're trying to sell your book....but I unfortunately don't have the cash for it,I can't even buy the Primal Blueprint...though I'd like to really read it. besides that,I don't own a creditcard. So,I guess I'll just have to try and assemble my own workout routine from your clips and other sources. Too bad,there's no CF or Movnat here,although that probably will be too heavy/fast paced for me.

Btw,you've mentioned on your site to eat much veggies....but that also seems quite controversial in the Paleo scene. I still find it hard to know if and how much fat I need to add to a meal. is it also true that you need the glucose of the veggies to support muscle growth,together with quality proteine?
                              I know what works for me and that's mostly what I write about on my blog. No one here can answer these questions for you in a definitive fashion. You're going to have to try a few things and see what gets you results. Be patient and stay the course.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X