Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planks....

simple exercise.

I'd been experiencing some lower back pain. Nagging pains from being over weight for many years. It's gotten much, much better over the last 2 or 3 years after loosing about 70lbs. first LCing, weights, and lastly, Paleo.

But lately I've had to do a lot of sitting. From my 'work' and some extra projects I have to take care of. I'm working out a bit less, which is probably a move for the best.

But I started upping my water intake, after a few things I'd read(probably on this sight). And Ironically that helped my back out a bunch. I was actually supprised at how much my back loosened up-seemed silly but........it worked. fast.

Then a few days ago I added a new exercise. Planks.
    Don't know why I never did these before.
    Has done wonders for my back. The best it's felt in at least the last 3 months.
    great core exercise.

Ditto! Sitting at computer = constant niggling lower back pain. Adding in a microscopically tiny amount of core exercises - literally, 20 minutes a day of bodyweight exercise that includes 1 minute front plank and however long I can manage on each side - probably 20 seconds - = virtual disappearance of lower back pain. If this were a pill, someone could make a fortune.

Comment

Originally posted by Hilary View Post
      If this were a pill, someone could make a fortune.
      It's amazing how many things we do are like that.

Comment

Okay, okay! I will get back to doing my planks again. haha For some reason I have not been able to do these consistently. And I am very consistent with the rest of my fitness. I do weight training three times per week, and walk 3-5 miles daily. But for my core, I just don't hit it. I am not sure why, and I should because it's my weakest area. I am going to set a goal of doing these a few times per week, including side planks.

Comment

I've found a great exercise for relieving back pain is the crescent moon (yoga posture). Google it, it strengthens the obliques. Strong obliques = less work for the lower back muscles to do.

Comment

You might try prone cobra for your back. Lie face down, arms at your sides, palms up. Lift your upper body off the floor. Hold for as long as you can. I'm up to 2 minutes.

Comment

Plank is the ultimate mindf'in static position... "Another 10 seconds, another 10 seconds..." It's much to do with willpower!

My PR (set a few weeks ago, haven't attempted it since) is 10:10 (that's 10 minutes and 10 seconds).

Comment

Holy crap, seriously?
                “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Bissen View Post
                  Plank is the ultimate mindf'in static position... "Another 10 seconds, another 10 seconds..." It's much to do with willpower!

My PR (set a few weeks ago, haven't attempted it since) is 10:10 (that's 10 minutes and 10 seconds).
                  10:10! that's flippin' amazing!
                  I got work to do.
                  I'm gonna try these others that were mentioned, aswell.

Comment

OP, have you tried sitting on a big exercise ball (those "swiss balls" or whatever they're called) while you work? That has helped me enormously (I tend to overarch my lower back and sitting on the ball helps keep everything aligned).

Comment

Originally posted by Owly View Post
                      Holy crap, seriously?
                      If that's for me, then yes *proud smile*

I'm having a little "race" with a few other people on another board, and I feel like I need to go past 10:10 in order to be the Plank Queen of that forum

Comment

Working...
                      X