X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Article: Everything You Know About Fitness is a Lie

It's here:
    Everything You Know About Fitness is a Lie*|*Men’s Journal

It's a long article so I suggest skipping the history of all the CW he was following before and why gyms work that way... To skip it, go to page 3 here:

There's also an interesting chart here:

So, what do you all think? Sounds relatively on-target to me compared to what people usually think they have to do. This article just seems to focus on lifting as opposed to bodyweight exercises (but more advanced people seem to automatically progress to lifting anyway.)
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Good article!!

Comment

(but more advanced people seem to automatically progress to lifting anyway.)
      Actually, many of us (including Mark) have "advanced" to bodyweight work after years of lifting. It all depends on your goals.
      Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
      Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
      Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonfly View Post
        Actually, many of us (including Mark) have "advanced" to bodyweight work after years of lifting. It all depends on your goals.
        and also your likes/dislikes. I prefer body weight but include weights for certain things.
        I'll read the article when I'm home.
        I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

great article.
          it's been almost a year since i was in the gym doing the big lifts, as i've been using bodyweight programs for power and endurance...but this makes me want to get back in there for a little bit just to give it a go again.
          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

Weights can be very rewarding, but there's more than one way to train. Some will tell you gymnastic rings are THE strength builder, others swear by sandbags, some by kettlebells, some by extreme calisthenics (serious bodyweight training)…

They all have one thing in common: intensity.

I’m going to post this on facebook though, women stand to benefit from reading this too even though it’s written for men.
            I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

I read that a couple months ago and shared it with my 19 year old son. He couldn't understand why he couldn't gain muscle even though he went to the gym everyday (and spent 90% of the time on the elliptical).
              Everything in that article I told him, but when you are a 19 year old male, Father = person that knows less than said 19 year old.
              He is still a cardio bunny, but at least now he does something besides bench and curls.
              People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Comment

100% awesome.

Comment

Good Article - best part were the graphs.
                  "Suffer no guilt yee who wield this in the name of Crom"
                  Quote on the Father's Sword

Comment

I love this comparison:
                    Most gyms do include a few token free weights, but think about where you’ll find them: around the edges of the room, like fresh fruits and vegetables in a supermarket that gives all the prime middle-of-the-store shelf space to Frosted Flakes and frozen cheesecake.
                    "Sometimes, you need to make sure the angel on your shoulder has a wingman." -Me

My primal log

Comment

A client of mine brought me the actual magazine a little while back to show me this article. Ah...good ol' paper.

It is nice to see an article like this in such a mainstream publication. I could do without the sensationalistic title though.
                      "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

sigpic

Comment

I worked in senior management for a large multinational gym chain for a few years and I can tell you one thing - the commercial gym chain does not like people who train with free weights so they are always marginalised.
                        Sandbag Training For MMA & Combat Sports
                        Sandbag Training Guide on Kindle
                        The Complete Guide To Sandbag Training
                        Brute Force Sandbags
                        www.facebook.com/sandbagfitness
                        http://fitedia.com/ - Health and Fitness eBooks, video, audio and workshops

Comment

Free Weights! Free Weights! Free Weights! .....Always loved them, Always will.

Nothing against body weight exercising, to each their own I firmly believe, but there is a component to moving weights that you wont EVER get from moving your body weight. And ....there isnt anything more grok-like in the world than lifting up/moving/carrying/pushing some heavy weights!!!!

RrRrrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaggh!!!!!!!
                          If you can just get your....mind together....then come on across to me.....
                          James Marshall (Jimi)Hendrix

Comment

What a great article. I do a few more exercises then the big three but they are barbell exercises. He is absolutly right though. Sometimes you have to lift just to prove to yourself that your worth something, that you can do something, and to blow off some steam. Best article I've read in a long time. Thanks for posting it up.
                            "Live Free or Die"

Comment

I think the guy is right, but he is overselling his point. Had he written this article in the 80's or 90's he might have been onto something, but with CrossFit, Rippetoe, Mehdi etc this is yesteryear's news, even with personal trainers. Look around the forum discussions here - I dont think that many of the regular contributors would be surprised by what he has to say.

Having said this - he does say it eloquently, and it is certainly worth the read (if you can ignore the title....)
                              http://thorfalk.wordpress.com

Comment

Working...
                              X