what is the best way to get "ripped"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is the best way to get "ripped"

i hate to sound like this, but what is the best way to get stronger, more musclular, yet be lean and light? Think Bruce Lee.

Is it cutting and bulking? If so what is the best way to do that? Eat _ amount of calories over maintanence for _ amount of time, followed by the opposite?

Can I gain muscle and burn fat in a calorie deficit? I've heard most say no but some say yes.

I looked into leangains, but he's very vauge and leaves most of the crucial info for his book which will never come out.

Going by that though it seems that you fast everyday (which I plan to do regardless, i like my big meals) and basicly "bulk" on training days and "cut" on rest days, with carb refeeds on training days as well.

I'm going crazy trying to figure all this out, its not that I'm having trouble following a plan, i just don't have a plan to follow!

And please don't tell me to keep my carbs low and not count calories. I'm already at a healthy weight I just want to get a little bigger and alot stronger without being wider than I am tall.

Find out how Bruce Lee ate and trained.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

Guy ate pretty much primal except for rice and some whole wheat grains. He mostly avoided calories that "did nothing for him" (empty calories) He trained like a beast, his life was dedicated to it.

But obviously his methods are outdated now and theres easier ways do get lean and strong with my average life...

The reason I look up to Bruce's physique so much is because I'm so short, and I HATE the buff mighty mouse look. It's easy for me to gain muscle but hard for me to avoid that look. Also being really strong but light and lean is pretty awsome.

Comment

Whats vague about leangains?
        IF 18 / 6
        Biggest meal post workout.
        Training days = high carb.
        Non training = lowcarb.
        Get a shit load of lean protein and enough healthy fats.
        Train hard.

This shit isn't rocket science, but people seem intent on over complicating it.

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
          Find out how Bruce Lee ate and trained.
          Yes.......be like water my friend......

Comment

should I go lower cals on rest days and higher cals on training days?

Comment

Originally posted by milkycereal View Post
              The reason I look up to Bruce's physique so much is because I'm so short, and I HATE the buff mighty mouse look. It's easy for me to gain muscle but hard for me to avoid that look. Also being really strong but light and lean is pretty awsome.
              Try to find out how gymnasts eat and train? They're usually quote lean and light. Also, those crazy acrobats doing all those fancy stunts in circuses, etc. (Not sure if they're classified as gymnasts or not, but they're also very lean and strong.)
              Norak's Primal Journal:
              2010-07-23: ~255lbs, ~40.0"
              2011-11-03: ~230lbs, ~35.5"
              2011-12-07: ~220lbs, ~34.0"

Comment

Hmm, I have the same bulky muscle "problem" (as you call it). You could always try enjoying what you've got.
                In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Comment

Looking at LeanGains, and checking out theleanlook.com, they both recommend heavy weights, low volume. I have been doing this for the past 4-6 weeks, and I believe it's a good method. However, getting ripped in my opinion is more about diet. The workout gives you the foundation you need, but you have to strip away the fat based on your eating. I have been on a slight caloric deficit, which allows me to build strength and muscle, but continue to lose fat. It's a slow process however. Hopefully by May or June, I will reach my goal of a six pack.

Comment

eat primal (keep your carbs on the lower end), lift heavy, and sprint.
                    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

abs are built in the kitchen

Comment

Building big muscles is hard. It doesn't happen by accident. Most people who look "bulky" look that way because of excess fat on top of the muscle.

You can attempt to do both (building muscle and losing fat) at once but it is painfully slow and thus I find it very discouraging because I don't get dramatic results in terms of muscle gain OR fat loss. It's frustrating and unmotivating. I do old-school cutting and bulking phases. If I eat primal in my surplus I don't gain an excess amount of fat with the muscle, I think it's more people who bulk with doughnuts and french fries who get fat.
                        My food blog ~ http://stuffimakemyhusband.blogspot.com
                        My primal success story

"Boxing seems to contain so complete and so powerful an image of life -- life's beauty, vulnerability, despair, incalculable and often self-destructive courage -- that boxing IS life, and hardly a mere game." --Joyce Carol Oates

Comment

so how long would each phase last? a month? And during the cutting phase i'd continue my strength training correct?

Comment

It totally depends on your current fitness level, fat level, strength, age, and genes. Nobody knows how it will work for you, you just pick a plan, start out on it, pay attention to what's going on, and adjust as needed. For instance, I dieted down to my college-age waist size (lost 40 lb) then started doing some heavy lifting using SS template - I've gained back 20 lb, mostly muscle but also one inch of gut - so once I deadlift 285 or so for 1x5 I'll start working on fat loss again until I get back to that waist size - don't know how long precisely either of those goals will take. After that I'll work another program, probably PTP, we'll see.

But I'd say some version of Mark's basic idea - don't eat too much, eat primally, LHT 2xwk, sprint 1xwk, do lots of easy slow moving cardio, is probably about perfect. I keep coming back to Mark's PB stuff - his basic plan is a very good one.
                            If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

I know everyone hates calorie counting, but I believe it works when trying to strip fat, and it keeps you from overeating. Find an online calculator and gauge your BMR. Eat maintenance level on strength training days. Other days eat below your BMR (activity level adjusted). I eat a few more carbs on workout days but I don't go crazy. Eat within an 8 hour window each day, with the majority of carbs post workout. Keep protein high. Eat a lot of fat on nonworkout days to stave off hunger.

Walk every day. Do reverse pyramid training (heavy first set 3-5 reps, lower weight 10% and increase reps for 3 sets). This applies to the big movements (squat, deadlift, bench, weighted pullups). Sprint once a week or so.

Comment

Working...
                              X