Working out while Sick?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working out while Sick?

I'm trying to decide whether to work out today or not. I have had a cold since Wednesday and had to work at a Paddling Convention all weekend and travel all day Thursday and Yesterday so besides standing most of the weekend, no exercise. I just don't know if pushing myself while sick is the right thing to do. I am considering push-ups, pull-ups, and Kettle Bell work for a total of about 30 minutes. I get really winded during the kettle bell work. Maybe I should just go for a long walk instead...
    My Journal
    sigpic

I vote for the long walk. For me, at least, when I'm sick the important thing is to keep up the routine, not to do my best and most intense workout. Sometimes "sweating it out" feels good, but it partly depends on how much my body is, instead, begging me for rest.
    "Sometimes, you need to make sure the angel on your shoulder has a wingman." -Me

My primal log

Comment

i always work out while i have a cold...i just don't care about numbers so much. but, i will usually go through some lifting heavy things and moving slowly--a walk or exercise bike--and i usually feel better afterward
      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

I'm leaning toward the walk and if I feel better afterward, some heavy things.
        My Journal
        sigpic

Comment

I'd back off altogether. Last time I worked out when I had a cold, I stressed my immune system so much that I was sick for two weeks afterward.
          "Suffer no guilt yee who wield this in the name of Crom"
          Quote on the Father's Sword

Comment

I may have doddled on the forum too long. It's almost time for me to babysit the grandkids and then it'll be dark when that is over. Procrastination at it's best!
            My Journal
            sigpic

Comment

I might be a bit messed up, but being sick pisses me off and that can fuel a workout. I've been known to push myself a little harder when I don't feel good. I draw the line though if I'm exhausted or if I'm just too sick. I don't want to hurt myself.
              http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

Comment

I agree with Nick. Better to hunker down, pamper yourself, and get the cold out in a few days than to push your body and possibly drag it out for way longer.When you get sick, you feel bad for a reason. Your body is saying, "Chill!! I need to recover!" And my mom has always, always told me that if you are sick from anything concerning bacteria (like strep throat), never do lots of cardio, because you risk moving the bacteria into your heart, which is bad news.

Comment

Hey if you're sick and not sure whether to work out or not, don't.
                  You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

A friend of mine that is a personal trainer says as long as the sickness does not move below your neck, you're safe to workout. Once it moves to your chest or is in your stomach, fagetaboutit
                    Georgette

Comment

I'll take any excuse to have a *time out* LOL Rest up but get your fresh air, so a walk sounds perfect ..
                      "If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place." Nora Roberts

Start December 20th 2010: 177 lbs
                      Currant: 136 lbs
                      Goal: 125 lbs
                      11 more lbs to go

Follow My Journey :-)

Comment

The only thing you'll be training is your willpower. You'll just want to drop to take a nap, but you must keep going.
                        In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Comment

So, I procrastinated and ended up not working out that day. When I did feel up to some exercise (Tuesday), I did some mild sprints while walking the dog, and then exercised with my daughter. Pushups, Pull-ups, Myotatic Crunches, and Kettlebell squats and swings. Now it's time to rest again. I wanted to walk so bad today, but it was too cold for me just getting over feeling bad.
                          My Journal
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X