Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Exercises for Abs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Best Exercises for Abs

    I just put up a new blog (article and video!) about my favorite exercises for abs.
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

    "You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

    My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

    sigpic

  • #2
    Thanks Al, I've been looking for ways to go beyond level 4 of PBF planks since ups & downs are too difficult for my arms to handle.

    Comment


    • #3
      i'm loving L-sits lately. i try to do a good 10-20 second hold hanging from my pull up bar whenever i walk by...and now i can feel the effect on my abs pretty much all day

      Originally posted by Grok View Post
      Thanks Al, I've been looking for ways to go beyond level 4 of PBF planks since ups & downs are too difficult for my arms to handle.
      i have a similar situation...the ups and downs are easy on my abs, but my arms are pretty fatigued in my second cycle. i'm just getting to the point where i can do the ups and downs for the whole 90 seconds, so i think i might just throw myself ahead to the next level and see if it's a little more friendly on the arms.
      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

      Comment


      • #4
        Nice article!! Coincidentally I'm trying to work my way up to hanging leg raises. My training buddy told me to do the progression the way that you recommend, with knees kind of tucked, and I wasn't sure about it (since it feels like it engages my hip flexors a LOT which feels like cheating for abs) but I feel better knowing that you recommend it too

        I also love any kind of asymmetric exercises for training ab stability, like suitcase deadlifts and 1-arm KB snatches. I tend to do stuff like that instead of planks these days because even the more difficult plank variations (i.e. feet elevated on a bosu ball) are pretty easy for me. Also I like weighted chin-ups (light DB between my feet) for upper abs (like where the rectus abdominis inserts into the xiphoid process), it's the ONLY exercise I've found that hits that part of the muscle.

        I'm so inspired by your site, it makes me want to do more bodyweight exercises!! Inspired to keep working on hanging leg raises for sure
        My food blog ~ http://stuffimakemyhusband.blogspot.com
        My primal success story

        "Boxing seems to contain so complete and so powerful an image of life -- life's beauty, vulnerability, despair, incalculable and often self-destructive courage -- that boxing IS life, and hardly a mere game." --Joyce Carol Oates

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Grok View Post
          Thanks Al, I've been looking for ways to go beyond level 4 of PBF planks since ups & downs are too difficult for my arms to handle.
          PBF is great but it's not the only effective program out there. It's good to mix it up!

          Originally posted by primalrob View Post
          i'm loving L-sits lately. i try to do a good 10-20 second hold hanging from my pull up bar whenever i walk by...and now i can feel the effect on my abs pretty much all day
          Nice! 20 seconds is a pretty serious hold - you should try the L-sit on the ground. Start with parellettes before you do it on your hands (the way I do it in the video is harder than it looks!).

          Originally posted by erica057 View Post
          Nice article!! Coincidentally I'm trying to work my way up to hanging leg raises. My training buddy told me to do the progression the way that you recommend, with knees kind of tucked, and I wasn't sure about it (since it feels like it engages my hip flexors a LOT which feels like cheating for abs) but I feel better knowing that you recommend it too

          I also love any kind of asymmetric exercises for training ab stability, like suitcase deadlifts and 1-arm KB snatches. I tend to do stuff like that instead of planks these days because even the more difficult plank variations (i.e. feet elevated on a bosu ball) are pretty easy for me. Also I like weighted chin-ups (light DB between my feet) for upper abs (like where the rectus abdominis inserts into the xiphoid process), it's the ONLY exercise I've found that hits that part of the muscle.

          I'm so inspired by your site, it makes me want to do more bodyweight exercises!! Inspired to keep working on hanging leg raises for sure
          Thank you! Btw, I saw your Primal Blueprint success story the other day - congrats! You are quite the inspiration yourself!
          "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

          "You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

          My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

          sigpic

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Al_Kavadlo View Post
            PBF is great but it's not the only effective program out there. It's good to mix it up!
            I plan to mix it up more, but I first want to reach level 4 fitness levels for all PBF exercises and to be able to do both cycles in under 30 minutes. I've come a long way in three months, I think I might be able to get to that level by mid-year as long as I don't injure myself.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Al_Kavadlo View Post
              Thank you! Btw, I saw your Primal Blueprint success story the other day - congrats! You are quite the inspiration yourself!
              Thanks! Glad that my getting punched in the face repeatedly has inspired someone, haha!
              My food blog ~ http://stuffimakemyhusband.blogspot.com
              My primal success story

              "Boxing seems to contain so complete and so powerful an image of life -- life's beauty, vulnerability, despair, incalculable and often self-destructive courage -- that boxing IS life, and hardly a mere game." --Joyce Carol Oates

              Comment


              • #8
                Was expecting to see some rollouts :P any thoughts on why you didn't include em?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Grok View Post
                  I plan to mix it up more, but I first want to reach level 4 fitness levels for all PBF exercises and to be able to do both cycles in under 30 minutes. I've come a long way in three months, I think I might be able to get to that level by mid-year as long as I don't injure myself.
                  Keep up the good work!

                  Originally posted by erica057 View Post
                  Thanks! Glad that my getting punched in the face repeatedly has inspired someone, haha!
                  Inspired many I'm sure.

                  But you do it for the love of the sport, am I right?

                  Originally posted by Pandadude View Post
                  Was expecting to see some rollouts :P any thoughts on why you didn't include em?
                  Rollouts are a good exercise, but I don't do them much. I tend to blog about things that I have gotten results from personally. I also tend to prefer pure bodyweight stuff (although I do use a stability ball for one of the plank variations in the video).

                  But I can totally grant the argument to include rollouts. They certainly fit with the general theme of my post.
                  "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

                  "You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

                  My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

                  sigpic

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    great post al as always.
                    what about the obliques?
                    side planks, any other good ones for us?
                    my photo stream
                    The Enlightened Warrior

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Thanks, Jon. Side plank is a good one for obliques. Circle leg raises (windshield wipers) and wood chops also come to mind. And of course, the human flag!
                      "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

                      "You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

                      My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

                      sigpic

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Al_Kavadlo View Post
                        But you do it for the love of the sport, am I right?
                        Hell yeah!! It probably means I'm a little crazy, but I can deal with that

                        To bring it back on topic: I love rollouts for boxing, because it's one of the few ab exercises where I get abdominal extension (rather than flexion) which is useful for throwing a punch
                        My food blog ~ http://stuffimakemyhusband.blogspot.com
                        My primal success story

                        "Boxing seems to contain so complete and so powerful an image of life -- life's beauty, vulnerability, despair, incalculable and often self-destructive courage -- that boxing IS life, and hardly a mere game." --Joyce Carol Oates

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          How much harder are hanging leg raises than knee raises? Right now I can pop off 3 sets of 8 easily at the very end of my workout (after weighted planks).
                          Stats: 5'6" female, 21 years young
                          Starting Weight: 187 lbs (March 2010)
                          Current Weight: 143 lbs (Oct 2011)
                          Goal BF: 20%

                          Super D Omega 3 daily & BCAAs preworkout

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              This is great exercise,I also do before




                              Motorola EX500 Battery Charger

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X