Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to start?

Hello Everyone,
    I'm sure this has been posted somewhere before, but I didn't want to go through all the gazillion posts/threads, so bear with me...
    I think I have the eating portion down-pat, something that was easy for me to do as I've been changing my diet to Real Food for the past 7 years; the only changes I've made recently (since January) have been eliminating grains and legumes from my diet, but I'm still a dairy-lover (Raw Milk only!), which I don't want to give up (I like my homemade raw milk kefir and yogurt, not to mention all the lovely full-fat cheeses...)
    But in regards to the Primal Blueprint way of exercising, how do I start? Maybe it's my perception, but it seems everyone here is an athlete in one way or another. Something I'm not. I have the PB book, have read it through, but I'm really at a loss on where and how to start with the fitness. Maybe I'm thinking too much about it? I already "move at a slow pace", trying to walk to work as much as possible, or to the market, or anywhere else....But the Lift Heavy Things, and Sprinting portion?
    If someone can give me a few ideas on how they started out, that would be great. Also, suggestions should entail home or park workouts -- not gyms, I won't go there. I'm very methodical and like to plan, so this is proving to be a challenge for me, not to mention the exercising is so foreign. I really need to be fit -- my muscles are wimpy and my shoulder girdle has very little strength (I cannot do a pull-up, and girl push-ups can be challenging).
    Last edited by criscarile; 03-29-2011, 05:27 AM.

it sounds like you need to take a look at Mark's Primal Fitness. it's a bodyweight program for lifting heavy things, but the ebook (available for free on this site) goes through the moving slowly and sprint routines as well. there is a self assessment test to get you going, and the exercises start off at a very beginner level for those "wimpy" muscles, which you'll soon find out are not so wimpy.

grab the ebook here
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

Thank you very much, primalrob. I just downloaded the ebook, and will read it today!

Comment

hahahaha... athlete ... hahaha... ok, just hang on a sec while I catch my breath

All kidding aside, I am not an athlete and probably never will be. I'm definitely not a gym person and I couldn't run around the block, let alone do a 5k. What I can do, and do, is take a 20 minute walk every day on my lunch hour doing a variety of lifts with a set of 2 lb arm weights while I walk and I do 20-30 minutes at night on a recumbent bike while I'm watching tv.

My Lift Heavy Things involves lifting an 18 kg box of cat litter 5 times (that's about 200 lbs total and nearly kills me) and doing other kettle bell-type lifts with a couple of full bottles of laundry detergent (about 8 lbs each).

I can do 5 girlie pushups on the floor or 20 wall push ups. I do squats and lunges for flexibility and can now touch my toes. I couldn't do this a month ago!

Start by doing what you can and don't sweat it too much (literally!). Whatever you can add to your day is worth it!
        Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
        http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
        Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
        CW: 146.8 lbs
        GW 140 lbs
        A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Comment

Thanks, Belinda -- I couldn't stop laughing at your introduction... too funny...

I like your ideas of using household things -- but I wonder, while lifting the box of cat litter AND changing the cat litter box when needed, doesn't it start to get pretty light after a while? haha

Thank you very much for your input!

Comment

*pokes big belly* nope, no athlete here. Although I have been following the Primal Bluebrint Fintess Ebook ( as closely as I can... I haven't tried sprinting yet because I'm a big fat scared-ey cat) and I have gone from wall pushups to knee pushups, and I can hold a plank now for almost ten seconds! This is from not being able to do a plank at all!

Just keep at it, use the modified exercises until you can progress to higher levels. It takes time and dedication, but it's not "hard"

Crap! I'm An Adult!

My Primal Journal

http://badquaker.com <--- podcast I'm a part of. Check it out if you like anarchy, geekiness and random ramblings.

Comment

Monday - strength training from the ebook
              Wednesday - hill sprints.... find a nice hill and sprint for 30 seconds up it. Walk back down. repeat 6-10 times.
              Friday - strength training from the ebook
              Sat or Sun - yoga... find a local studio and go to a beginner class.
              Rest of the days just walk.

When you reach the top levels in the ebook, can run a 200 meter sprint in 30 seconds and can do a handstand in yoga class... come back for a new workout

Comment

Seconding the PBF eBook, though if you're a total newb, I wouldn't do sprints right away. I'd do something like couch-to-5K instead.
                My food blog ~ http://stuffimakemyhusband.blogspot.com
                My primal success story

"Boxing seems to contain so complete and so powerful an image of life -- life's beauty, vulnerability, despair, incalculable and often self-destructive courage -- that boxing IS life, and hardly a mere game." --Joyce Carol Oates

Comment

Thank you, arthurb999 -- I now have something to start with. While writing my post, my mind was completely blank on HOW to start -- especially since PB recommends not making a schedule or routine. ('Be spontaneous, and if you don't feel like doing anything, don't'...OK, that's my paraphrase..) But since I'm such a newbie, I think I need to start out with a schedule just to get going. Perhaps I'll add everything in "layers" -- with strength training first for a few weeks, etc., and so forth. I downloaded the ebook yesterday, but was unable to read it - darn, life gets busy - I will read it soon, though.

And thank you CoyoteVic and erica057 for you input! It's much appreciated!
                  Last edited by criscarile; 03-29-2011, 06:12 AM. Reason: forgot to add thanks to others...

Comment

Working...
                  X