Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gym Classes: Zumba, Pilates, Yoga, Kickboxing, Tai Chi?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gym Classes: Zumba, Pilates, Yoga, Kickboxing, Tai Chi?

My gym offers several group classes. I am considering picking one or two classes up.
    They offer:

Zumba
    Pilates
    Yoga
    Kickboxing
    Tai Chi.

At this point I'm looking for the class that best fits the Primal lifestyle, non necessarily the "most fun". Which of these classes would you say fits best into Primal Fitness? What about the least?

Not sure whether our ideas of Primal Lifestyle are the same or not but I'd probably vote for Kickboxing - it has the least structure, is high intensity, develops power and agility and will teach you to fight (defend your cave?).
    Sandbag Training For MMA & Combat Sports
    Sandbag Training Guide on Kindle
    The Complete Guide To Sandbag Training
    Brute Force Sandbags
    www.facebook.com/sandbagfitness
    http://fitedia.com/ - Health and Fitness eBooks, video, audio and workshops

Comment

I'd vote Zumba. Dance is primal, right?

Why not pick something fun? What's the point of being dogmatic about a "primal lifestyle" if it's a chore and you can't stick with it?

Comment

Tai chi is great for moving slowly, improving balance and can really strengthen your legs because of its stances. I do tai chi in the mornings. I also take a TRX suspension class and a BodyPump class for part of my lifting heavy things. Not exactly primal but I enjoy the classes and they give me the structure I need. I'd put Zumba in the play category which is fine.
        Last edited by Lynna; 03-28-2011, 04:43 AM.

Comment

I vote yoga. For my experience with gym kickbox classes, it's an hour-long cardio fest and you'll be craving carbs like there's no tomorrow the rest of the day.

Comment

Kickboxing! Or better yet Mixed MA, Korean Kuk Sool Won. Martial Arts, if trained properly, will have portions of yoga (stretching, toning) as well as kicking, punching, joint manipulation and judo as well as ground work (that was the Kuk Sool Won I trained in back in the 80s in Korea, great stuff). The key for any exercise plan (IMHO) is focus! Don't let your body get out of control... focus! and you can still have fun! Gotta have fun everyday!
            Living the dream, inside a myth

Comment

Having fun IS being Primal.

I've tried almost all of those. Yoga and Pilates practically put me to sleep. Kick-boxing was repetitive and boring. Zumba was lots of fun and a major challenge to not hip-bounce the other dancers into the wall. Never tried Tai Chi.

I'm sure they all vary depending on the instructor. As a challenge, I would pick something that varies greatly from the rest of your fitness routine.

Comment

Everyone has an opinion on this and no one can tell you what YOU should do. Moving around at a slow pace and sprinting are both primal, so each of those can fit in to PB.

I absolutely adore Yoga and Pilates because I have arthritis, severe scoliosis, and some other physical issues. I am often in pain. Yoga and Pilates have helped me a lot. It really depends on YOU, what you like, what shape you are in, and what you are comfortable with.

Some folks may ridicule Yoga and Pilates, but I think that both of them fall under the PB category of moving around at a slow pace, so I'm good with that. And unless you do them for a while, you really don't know what they are all about.

Comment

I did an intermediate power yoga class in a heated room yesterday and it was NOT slow or easy and my legs and upper back are destroyed.

I'd say try them all and see which you like. They will vary greatly depending on the instructor.

I would also recommend doing at least 1 day of dedicated strength training and 1 day of sprints. Fill the rest with those classes as you see fit.

Comment

Originally posted by arthurb999 View Post
                    I'd say try them all and see which you like. They will vary greatly depending on the instructor.
                    ^^ THIS - try them all and figure out what YOU like. Actually all of the ones you listed are fun and a good workout to me.
                    Christine
                    Wag more, bark less

Comment

ZUMBA ZUMBA ZUMBA. it is a ton of fun. I do it 2 times a week. Just get thru your first class and you will be hooked. (and helps to improve getting your sexy on)

Next is pilates. this will strenghten your core and help you get toned.

ENJOY!!!
                      Julia
                      Starting Weight 235 - Dec 1, 2010
                      Started Primal Mid January 2011
                      Current Weight 183
                      Goal 160

Get Outside Already!

http://moderndayfitandfood.wordpress.com/
                      http://moderndaydesigns.wordpress.com/

Comment

I'd say Yoga - its a great counter balance to the higher intensity stuff. I always try to get one day of Yoga in a week, just to get loose, realign the body, and hit all those little spots that get missed in other workouts.
                        "Suffer no guilt yee who wield this in the name of Crom"
                        Quote on the Father's Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Lynna View Post
                          Tai chi is great for moving slowly, improving balance and can really strengthen your legs because of its stances. I do tai chi in the mornings.
                          I'm not a practitioner of Tai Chi, but I'm pretty sure the slow movements isn't the central theme. It's only the easily observable portion of it.

Similarly for yoga. Yoga is not stretching.

Comment

Originally posted by barefootmama View Post
                            I'd vote Zumba. Dance is primal, right?

Why not pick something fun? What's the point of being dogmatic about a "primal lifestyle" if it's a chore and you can't stick with it?
                            Agreed! Shoot, if it's a fun class it could almost be counted as play!

Yoga is fantastic too. Zumba and Yoga are the ones I'd choose.

Comment

see what you like I would pick kick boxing and yoga but I already do it never mind what cave men did they never had gyms fitness clubs etc anyways
                              Biotivia
                              Transmax
                              BioForge
                              BioForge Pro Max Phase II
                              BioQuench

Comment

Working...
                              X