Total newb question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Total newb question

ok, so I'm a total newb to the whole "exercise" thing, I've always just lost weight by not eating. I'm trying to do bodyweight stuff (because I hate the gym) but I am REALLY weak (also, I weigh a LOT so, ya know that is part of it). I can only do maybe 10 (knee) pushups at a time and I was wondering, is it ok to randomly do a few pushups throughout the day instead of doing a "routine". I always feel like such a loser when I do a routine. I can only do a couple pushups, no situps, no pullups, a couple squats. It takes me like, 5 minutes, max, and I'm worn out. I always feel like I should at least do like, 30 minutes of exercise, or it isn't even worth it. But I just CAN'T do that much LHT. So I was wondering, would it lead to "doing to much, too fast" (a curse of mine) if I just randomly did a few pushups, etc whenever I felt like it, instead of doing a "routine" three times a week (or whatever).

I know I'm a total newbie, but exercise has never been my "thing", and I know that I need to do it, I'm just so far out of shape, I don't even know where to BEGIN.

thanks!

Crap! I'm An Adult!

My Primal Journal

http://badquaker.com <--- podcast I'm a part of. Check it out if you like anarchy, geekiness and random ramblings.

Grease the Groove baby!

Yeah do a few throughout the day will definetly help you out. Just keep at it you will get stronger and stronger the more you do it.
    ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Comment

Definitely do that! As a friend of mine says, "do what you can, when you can." I was like that when I lost 50 lbs 5 years ago. I would also do the same for moving slowly more frequently.
      Georgette

Comment

I've done it. I am a gamer (WoW) and used to do pushups any time my toon was flying from place to place. I just did as many pushups as I could. I am not sure if this is effective or as effective as a planned workout though. I'd be interested to hear from those who actually know about this whole exercise thing.

Comment

Another thing you can consider is doing wall pushups if you`re bored and need to change it up. Just stand facing a wall and lower yourself towards it and push back up. The farther your feet are away from the wall the tougher it is. You can get into a semi squat position while brushing your teeth, contract your abs for a few seconds and release and repeat as many times as you want while sitting down or standing. I have a friend who started working out and eating better a little over a year ago. When he started he was probably around 300 lbs. and he could do 2 push ups. Now he does over 100 consecutively and weighs around 170. The important thing is to start. Do whatever you can with what you`ve got. Over time you`ll gain strength and momentum and when you feel yourself getting stronger it might motivate you to keep going.
          "Anxiety is a sign of spiritual insecurity"
          www.beachbodycoach.com/fatbusters

Comment

Originally posted by canio6 View Post
            I've done it. I am a gamer (WoW) and used to do pushups any time my toon was flying from place to place. I just did as many pushups as I could. I am not sure if this is effective or as effective as a planned workout though. I'd be interested to hear from those who actually know about this whole exercise thing.
            What I said above about "do what you can, when you can" came from a friend who used to be a personal trainer who does follow a primal lifestyle.
            Georgette

Comment

Thanks everyone! I'm so afraid of "overdoing it", because I do kind of have an obsessive mentality. But I figured a few pushups/squats/jumping jacks/etc every few hours is better than trying to do way too much three times a week, and pushing to try to do as much as possible in my "workout time".

I did some wall pushups yesterday, with the focus on keeping my abs tight during them, and boy do my abs feel it today! I can't do "planks" yet, so I've been doing kind of wall planks, pushing my feet back away from the wall and holding myself up by leaning forward on the wall. Hard to explain, but it's been making my abs hurt too. Not in a super painful way, but in a "oh, I guess there were muscles there" kind of way.

I have a feeling this is going to be a long road, but it feels good to be moving towards my goals in a realistic way.

Crap! I'm An Adult!

My Primal Journal

http://badquaker.com <--- podcast I'm a part of. Check it out if you like anarchy, geekiness and random ramblings.

Comment

You can do it!

Have you downloaded Markís free E-book, Primal Blueprint Fitness? If not, get it, read it, follow it. I started at about the same place you are. I have now lost over 80 pounds and have been exercising faithfully for about 5 months. I did my first real pull up last week. My last previous pull up was sometime in high school more than 35 years ago. I didnít really believe that I would ever do one again. However, starting at the very basic levels of the 5 primal movements I have shown really great progress. I started by doing as much of a workout as I could, and then completed it as I could through the day. I now do all of the exercises at one sitting. So, donít get discouraged by how little you can do. You will be surprised by how rapidly will improve if you just get started and stick with the plan.

Comment

I read it, but it was kind of confusing. I mean, he says what exercises to do, but I don't know what most of those exercises ARE. like, for instance, how does one do a leg assisted pull up? I get the whole "stand on a chair" thing, but wouldn't that be working your legs, not your arms? I don't know, I'm not very good at following any "routine" like that, because I get so discouraged when I can't DO anything he's saying to. I think I need a person actually there with me going "now pull in your stomach, focus on your arms being such and such angle, etc". It's not like I can afford a personal trainer though :/ I guess I just get so frustrated at where I WANT to be, instead of focusing on where I AM.

Crap! I'm An Adult!

My Primal Journal

Comment

Originally posted by CoyoteVick View Post
                    I guess I just get so frustrated at where I WANT to be, instead of focusing on where I AM.
                    But you WILL be where you WANT to be if you stick with it. If you don`t you never will be. You`ll look back soon and you`ll be so satisfied with yourself and your progress! As for the leg on the chair it`s there as sort of a spot; you use it to help you get up and over time you lessen the amount of weight you`re placing on it and eventually you`ll do them unassisted. Another option are resistance bands...you can work your lats and back with those as well as with dumbells Awesome job on the squats and the wall pushups and planks.
                    "Anxiety is a sign of spiritual insecurity"
                    www.beachbodycoach.com/fatbusters

Comment

coyotevick...do you watch television by any chance?

if so, i want you to give this a try...an old exercise routine mark recently featured in his WOWs. put on your favorite show(s) and grab a deck of cards. assign each suit in the deck an exercise (e.g. hearts = pushups, clubs = reverse crunch, spades = squats, diamonds = mountain climbers...but you can do whatever you choose)and keep the deck close by but face down. watch your show (standing up) and whenever there is a commercial, flip over the top card and do that exercise for a specific number of reps. if you can do 10 knee push ups, then make every heart 3-5 push ups rather than doing the number on the card. once you finish those reps, move onto the next card, and so on for the entire commercial break.

this is essentially going to give you more overall strength, more specific strength in those exercises, and more endurance. for an hour long show you won't be doing more than 15 minutes of total exercise, broken up into sessions only a couple minutes in length each time. you could even do a second show, and do this sort of thing every day, and you still would not be exercising too much (though you would probably get bored with it). you'll have short bursts of exercise with nice long breaks (but stay standing or dance or something to keep your muscles warm).

as the exercises get easier, increase the intensity...change the exercises to something harder, or start increasing the reps by doing the number on the card.
                      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

That sounds pretty cool, I may just have to try that. I don't watch much tv, but I could always turn the tv on while I work on the comp, and just use it as a timer...

Crap! I'm An Adult!

My Primal Journal

Comment

The grooving stuff is fine to start with, but you do want to keep track - notches in the table or whatever (well, a book, really). The reason why a more regular program might make sense though is that it gives you a sense of progress and achievement
                          http://thorfalk.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by CoyoteVick View Post
                            How does one do a leg assisted pull up? I get the whole "stand on a chair" thing, but wouldn't that be working your legs, not your arms?

You are right, the leg assisted pull-ups will at first be primarily done with your legs. However, you should pull yourself up as much as you can with your arms. It is a no fail exercise. You will find that you have trouble doing the recommended number of leg assisted pull-ups initially. I started with 2 sets of 10 leg assists. But eventually you will be able to complete two sets of 20. Then you progress to one leg assists. Using one leg puts a little more weight on the opposite side arm. When you can complete two sets of one leg assists, you progress to catch and holds. You start on a step stool with your chin above the bar, then pull your legs up and slowly lower yourself until your arms are fully extended. I can now do 2 sets of 8 catch and holds. I can also do 1 pull up. I try to do one pull-up every time I walk past the pull-up bar.

Comment

Originally posted by justjoem View Post
                              You are right, the leg assisted pull-ups will at first be primarily done with your legs. However, you should pull yourself up as much as you can with your arms. It is a no fail exercise. You will find that you have trouble doing the recommended number of leg assisted pull-ups initially. I started with 2 sets of 10 leg assists. But eventually you will be able to complete two sets of 20. Then you progress to one leg assists. Using one leg puts a little more weight on the opposite side arm. When you can complete two sets of one leg assists, you progress to catch and holds. You start on a step stool with your chin above the bar, then pull your legs up and slowly lower yourself until your arms are fully extended. I can now do 2 sets of 8 catch and holds. I can also do 1 pull up. I try to do one pull-up every time I walk past the pull-up bar.
                              i think it's a good idea to actually use your legs as little as possible. just by putting your legs on a chair, but not engaging them, you are reducing the amount of weight you need to lift which makes a pull up easier. the more weight you can lift with your upper body, the better you will get at pull ups.

Originally posted by Thorfalk
                              The grooving stuff is fine to start with, but you do want to keep track - notches in the table or whatever (well, a book, really). The reason why a more regular program might make sense though is that it gives you a sense of progress and achievement
                              definitely agree. once you get some comfort doing the exercises, check out mark's PBF or another progression program and start really dedicating some specific time to resistance work...you can always keep doing extra exercises for fun.
                              http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

Working...
                              X