Post Workout Ammonia Smell??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post Workout Ammonia Smell??

Anyone else experience an ammonia smell after a workout? What is up with that?? Thanks.

come on people, you are starting to make me worry, lol! After a fasted 20 minute HIGH INTENSITY circuit workout this morning I noticed a strong ammonia type smell while i was taking a shower. NOBODY here has experienced this before or even heard of it? I guess I will have to Google, =((

Comment

Initial response would be to look at your dietary intake and hydration levels - what are these like?
      Sandbag Training For MMA & Combat Sports
      Sandbag Training Guide on Kindle
      The Complete Guide To Sandbag Training
      Brute Force Sandbags
      www.facebook.com/sandbagfitness
      http://fitedia.com/ - Health and Fitness eBooks, video, audio and workshops

Comment

Originally posted by Coach Palfrey View Post
        Initial response would be to look at your dietary intake and hydration levels - what are these like?
        I dont count calories but i have been strictly primal, lots of chicken, fish, meat, avocados, butter, asparagus, brussel sprouts, brocolli, coconut milk, eggs. I sweat ALOT, so I am constantly hydrating and drinking alot of water. This has happened to me a handful of times in the past couple of weeks and always after a very intense but short (20 minutes) circuit workout. I feel fine when this happens it is just weird. My body is sweating ammonia????

Comment

Also, I have been primal for about 3 months but have always been in decent shape. Since going primal i have lost 12 lbs of fat and love the way i look and feel. I am 6ft and 183lbs. ??

Comment

I remember reading a few years back about this - something to do with breaking down amino acids for energy. Apparently it can be quite common on low carb diets. You mention that you hydrate - how much are you talking? As an example, i'm 85 kg and I drink 4-5 litres most days. You might find that increasing your carb (unprocessed) intake slightly a couple of hours before exercise helps.
            Sandbag Training For MMA & Combat Sports
            Sandbag Training Guide on Kindle
            The Complete Guide To Sandbag Training
            Brute Force Sandbags
            www.facebook.com/sandbagfitness
            http://fitedia.com/ - Health and Fitness eBooks, video, audio and workshops

Comment

I get it too sometimes. It basically means that your body is burning protein for energy in a process called gluconeogenesis. It could be either dietary protein or muscle tissue. Ammonia is just a chemical byproduct. You can avoid it by having some extra carbs before working out - sweet potatoes are awesome for that.
              The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

Comment

yep - i get this!!! Like cat pee!!! VILE. Even my loving husband used to keep his distance after I came back from a long run!!

I had no idea it was me breaking down protein - that sounds BAD???? I do eat a lot of protein and fat and not much carbs at the moment - but on CW (in fact even more on CW now i think about it, not noticed it SO much recently) this would happen!! Maybe its my preferred fuel or something??

Comment

yes, it can be part of being in ketosis.

Comment

if you are eating enough protien to build muscle and you need more calories for energy, the body will break down protein -- either in your muscle or from your food.

Comment

Sure you didn't just pee your pants?
                      Primal Personal Trainer
                      NSCA-CSCS
                      http://www.powercurvefitness.com

Comment

Originally posted by Kyle C. View Post
                        Sure you didn't just pee your pants?
                        well, I'm sure of that yes!!

Comment

Thanks for the great feedback everyone. I thought that I needed FAT to replace the complex carbs for enrgy/fuel?? I really feel like I am eating plenty as I follow the instinctual eating philosophy, i.e.- only eating when I feel hungry. Yesterday for instance I had 3 egg veggie scramble with a side of bacon with coffee and water around 9am. A couple of hours later a ate an avocado, and hour after that i had appx. 7 oz. of grass fed beef ribs. An hour after that i drank/ate about 12 oz. of coconut milk. For dinner around 6pm I had steak and chicken fajitas with romaine lettuce as a wrap. Drank easily over a gallon of water through out the day. Woke up this morning, had 2 cups of coffee, more water and then worked out. Enter AMMONIA STANK!! Okay people you can wake up now!!!!! =(

Comment

i eat about 1000 times more food that that. so, yeah.

like, yesterday i had two pieces of shoulder bacon plus 2-3 scrambled eggs plus steamed veggies with olive oil on it. then for lunch, i had venison burger browned in bacon fat plus salsa plus broccoli with olive oil. then i had a ginger beer while out and about. then for dinner, i had thai green curry with chicken and vegetables. i drank the remaining curry. i think i also might have eaten two kiwi fruit in there too.

yes, technically, fat is supposed to replace carbs for fuel, and the protein that we eat used for muscle building and such. but if you're not eating enough, you'll go into cat-pee smell.

Comment

You know you're eating a zero carb diet, don't you? Is there a reason? VLC diets can lead to some pretty serious health problems.

Intense exercise requires glucose. So does your brain. If you eat no carbs, all of it must be made in the liver. Ammonia becomes an issue when you're converting a LOT of protein. It's toxic. You need to eat more carbs unless you're epileptic or have cancer or have another health issue. In which case, you might want to replace the intense exercise with less intense exercise.

Another clue that you need more carbs is dryness. Dry eyes, nose, mouth, dry stools, all due to a lack of mucus.

Anyone who follows a VLC diet owes it to themselves to figure out the trade offs. It's not primal. It's not healthy. You have to really watch what's going on in order to stay out of trouble. Yes, you can lose weight fast doing it. But there is no such thing as a free lunch ...

Gordo

Comment

Working...
                              X