No announcement yet.

beginner workout suggestions?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't listen to Vic. I'm sorry but, seriously. He thinks that the ideal workout is to use a machine till failure once every six weeks per body part - and that it takes two years (????) to gain strength from muscle mass. He thinks that running in place = full bore sprints. Vic, at least you should say when you give advice that you are coming from a fringe perspective and that almost no professionals in the field of getting strong agree with you.
    You need to gain mass - I was 6'1" 150 lb in high school and to be skinnier than that - well-- dude you need mass, and if i'ts 1/2 muscle 1/2 fat that will be very healthy for you and frankly make you look a ton better on the side. You can get strong while adding mass, just lift barbell weights (lots of great programs) and eat a ton of food. Milk is great because you can eat three huge meals per day and still down a quart or more of milk on top of it if you really try. Eat. Eat. Eat. Then lift weights and sprint.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

Adult Males - Normal T | 70's Big
      order this shirt and drink milk til you can wear it in public!

Comment

Originally posted by Vick View Post
        The formula is simple. Stress your muscles to failure. Rest. Allow your body to adapt then stress again.
        +1 You don't have to be lifting heavy weights to build strength (at least starting out), you can achieve similar results by doing more reps on body-weight exercises. The point is to work your muscles almost to failure, however you can. The PB Fitness ebook has done wonders for me, and I was also starting from what felt like square one. Don't let lack of equipment stand in the way of working out. All you need to do pullups are a tree branch, or railing, or a 2x4 screwed to some floor joists in your basement, ect. In the spirit of "MacGyver" look around your home and see what you can use that you already have. It doesn't have to be pretty or elegant, it just has to work.

A word of warning though, it is harder (for me anyway) to maintain proper form during squats with improvised weights than it is with a bar. Make sure you have a rock solid form by doing body-weight squats (in front of a mirror if possible) before you start putting any weight on your shoulders. The last thing you want to do is injure yourself by lifting wrong/too heavy and fall off the wagon entirely.

Good Luck!
        Last edited by salmonofdoubt; 03-12-2011, 09:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tfarny View Post
          Don't listen to Vic. I'm sorry but, seriously. He thinks that the ideal workout is to use a machine till failure once every six weeks per body part - and that it takes two years (????) to gain strength from muscle mass. He thinks that running in place = full bore sprints. Vic, at least you should say when you give advice that you are coming from a fringe perspective and that almost no professionals in the field of getting strong agree with you.
          You need to gain mass - I was 6'1" 150 lb in high school and to be skinnier than that - well-- dude you need mass, and if i'ts 1/2 muscle 1/2 fat that will be very healthy for you and frankly make you look a ton better on the side. You can get strong while adding mass, just lift barbell weights (lots of great programs) and eat a ton of food. Milk is great because you can eat three huge meals per day and still down a quart or more of milk on top of it if you really try. Eat. Eat. Eat. Then lift weights and sprint.
          tfarny my friend... I wondered how long it take for you to appear.

I may be the fringe. However Mark with his fitness pyramid recommends lifting 1 to 3 times... 7 to 60 minutes a week.

I fall in that category. Do you?

Watch...

YouTube - Doug McGuff MD T21C 2010 [Full]

and a couple of these

The 21 Convention*|*

tfarny, I know you are getting stronger. So am I.
          We were both weak, we chose to change our lives and are doing so. The difference is I know I can keep my pace up for another 30 years. I doubt you can.

I didn't say he doesn't have to build mass... I'm a big promoter of that. I'm saying go to the the grocery store and look at a pound of ground beef. You are asking your body to produce that out of nothing but exercise and good food. If you think that will happen over night than you are full of shit.

"He thinks that running in place = full bore sprints" no... I said these would do until the weather breaks. It still gets the heart rate up and that causes a metabolic change.

I feel sorry for you. Living the lie is so much easier than facing science.

Comment

Thank you for all of the posts, it looks like I have a lot of information to evaluate as well as different sides/directions to considered...
            Height: 6' 1.5"
            Weight: 135 lb
            My Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Night-Raven View Post
              That's an awesome idea, thanks... Do you have any other "MacGyver" workout equipment ideas or know of a website where I can find them.

Who is coach palfrey? and why milk?

Thanks but I'm not looking to gain mass, I'm looking to gain full body strength, and lots of it, doing it the primal way...besides I already know I need to "lift heavy things" that's why I asked for workout ideas centered around dumbbells, body weight and the pull-up bar.

I Need Ideas...
              Coach palfrey posts a lot here - read and you' ll find him :-)
              Milk - to get bigger. You can get strong without muscles, but it is easier with them. Read the Rippetoe quotes, or Mehdi
              http://thorfalk.wordpress.com

Comment

I can't recommend Mark Lauren's book You Are Your Own Gym too strongly. It is all bodyweight, or easy stuff around the house, like a door or a table. I got my wife to start, a heavyset 65 year old woman and she has made some amazing strides in only 12 weeks. She now has arm muscles, especially triceps that are bigger and firmer and stronger than at any other time in her life.

Comment

Working...
                X