Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

too much??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • too much??

    Is running 1 to 1.5 miles with max resistance on elliptical at max effort six days a week chronic cardio?

    I usually take about a five-minute break every .25 miles. I have to sit and work at a desk for long periods of time so it helps to get up every once in a while and Sprint on the elliptical machine, I just don't want to increase my cortisol levels...
    Age: 18
    Height: 6' 1.5"
    Weight: 135 lb
    My Journal

  • #2
    unless you are rather fit, and unless you are going really slowly, max resistance is likely to get your heart rate up to at least 80%. so it is not chronic cardio, but it is probably not sprint either.
    why do you use the elliptical? it is the classic chronic cardio device: the only reason for using it is that you can do it forever without too much risk on your joints etc (I believe). you'd probably better off migrating to at least a treadmill at one point, or do some more functional cardio - the elliptical trainer constrains your movement too much
    http://thorfalk.wordpress.com

    Comment


    • #3
      Elliptical=fail. Seriously, if your taking the primal approach on things there is so many better things you can be doing for your body than that. If you just want to burn calories, and not get the other health benefits doing more effective workouts, then maybe the elliptical is for you. Sorry, i have to be honest with this post, but i won't let a fellow primal waste away on that machine.

      Comment


      • #4
        I would ask myself, in all exercise/training, what is the purpose.

        In general, the purpose of doing high output exercise like sprints or what you are doing (for a very low impact HR boost) is to increase the bodies natural responses to it. That is the adaption. So if I sprint hard my body will require adaption time. Hormones are elevated, muscles and connective tissue is strengthened etc.

        If you had an injury than the elliptical might be an alternative. Otherwise you miss out on some of the big benefit and you have done to much stress tom add sprints or the like.

        You would be much better served to do light exercises during that time. If you take 5 minutes to do deep squats, pushups, or whatever you will get the blood flowing. I would skip the cardio and do real sprints 1-2 per week.

        Comment


        • #5
          Your post inspired me - actually I wanted to write about it for a while, but your post made me do it: Do you need a heart rate monitor (and if yes, which one?) | Thor Falk. Get yourself a cheap but good heart rate monitor, then you can do whatever exercise you like, and the monitor will tell you (...if you know how to ask...) whether you are in sprint zone, or in primal-every-day-exercise-zone, or in chronic cardio zone.
          http://thorfalk.wordpress.com

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Thor Falk View Post
            Your post inspired me - actually I wanted to write about it for a while, but your post made me do it: Do you need a heart rate monitor (and if yes, which one?) | Thor Falk. Get yourself a cheap but good heart rate monitor, then you can do whatever exercise you like, and the monitor will tell you (...if you know how to ask...) whether you are in sprint zone, or in primal-every-day-exercise-zone, or in chronic cardio zone.
            I've looked for heart rate monitors, but I just can't justify spending the money on something I can learn to monitor myself...

            Originally posted by stephenmarklay View Post
            I would ask myself, in all exercise/training, what is the purpose.

            In general, the purpose of doing high output exercise like sprints or what you are doing (for a very low impact HR boost) is to increase the bodies natural responses to it. That is the adaption. So if I sprint hard my body will require adaption time. Hormones are elevated, muscles and connective tissue is strengthened etc.

            If you had an injury than the elliptical might be an alternative. Otherwise you miss out on some of the big benefit and you have done to much stress tom add sprints or the like.

            You would be much better served to do light exercises during that time. If you take 5 minutes to do deep squats, pushups, or whatever you will get the blood flowing. I would skip the cardio and do real sprints 1-2 per week.
            Originally posted by NeoBerserker View Post
            Elliptical=fail. Seriously, if your taking the primal approach on things there is so many better things you can be doing for your body than that. If you just want to burn calories, and not get the other health benefits doing more effective workouts, then maybe the elliptical is for you. Sorry, i have to be honest with this post, but i won't let a fellow primal waste away on that machine.
            You guys are right...I must learn to overcome my elliptical addiction , but how do I supplement my usual elliptical workouts for primal cardio workouts; should I pick a day out of the week to perform sprints on the treadmill? and for how long on max incline (if I'm trying to gain calf muscles), and bike,hike or walk for at lease 30 minutes every day ( excluding the sprint day)?
            Age: 18
            Height: 6' 1.5"
            Weight: 135 lb
            My Journal

            Comment


            • #7
              nope.

              chronic cardio is long amounts of high heart rate several days per week. what you're doing is sprinting...kind of. it sounds like it's high intensity, but not hard enough to be sprinting (if it were really like sprinting, you wouldn't be able to do it six times per week).
              http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

              Comment


              • #8
                I always like to imagine all that training people do in the gym is to help them Elliptical away from some threat in the wild!

                slide, slide, slide..

                Little Saiyan

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by ikaika View Post
                  I always like to imagine all that training people do in the gym is to help them Elliptical away from some threat in the wild!

                  slide, slide, slide..
                  Lol, never thought about it that way.
                  Age: 18
                  Height: 6' 1.5"
                  Weight: 135 lb
                  My Journal

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I like your icon!
                    Little Saiyan

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I take it you are working from home right? I have an elliptical too but it is just collecting dust unless its really wet outside.

                      I work from home. I normally stretch and do resistance workouts throughout the day. To break up most work days I will take a long 60 minute walk to break things up. Then I come back to the home office focused and ready to go.

                      Once a week I will run sprints at the track. I will also throw in an HIIT run about 3 miles which incorporates a lot of hill sprints. I also play full court basketball once a week. The other 4 days I just do some walking.
                      "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

                      People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by ikaika View Post
                        I like your icon!
                        Thanks, I think it ratifies my unique persona.
                        Age: 18
                        Height: 6' 1.5"
                        Weight: 135 lb
                        My Journal

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Jesus. 1.5 miles is nothing. Definitely not Chronic cardio no matter what your heart rate is. If you like it, do it. I wouldn't do it lieu of other workouts, but if you want to make it a part of your fitness program, go for it.

                          I'm always shocked by what some people think is "chronic".

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Go-Pre View Post
                            Jesus. 1.5 miles is nothing. Definitely not Chronic cardio no matter what your heart rate is. If you like it, do it. I wouldn't do it lieu of other workouts, but if you want to make it a part of your fitness program, go for it.

                            I'm always shocked by what some people think is "chronic".
                            I used to do about 4 or 5 miles a day and only eat around 1000 calories a day, and I was wondering if one to 1.5 would be enough to get my daily exercise.
                            Age: 18
                            Height: 6' 1.5"
                            Weight: 135 lb
                            My Journal

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X