Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Improving balance

Any tips or ways for improving balance?

I'm not interested in any workouts (do enough already) but I'm just looking for something to do when I'm bored.
    A steak a day keeps the doctor away

Balance for what exactly?
    Sandbag Training For MMA & Combat Sports
    Sandbag Training Guide on Kindle
    The Complete Guide To Sandbag Training
    Brute Force Sandbags
    www.facebook.com/sandbagfitness
    http://fitedia.com/ - Health and Fitness eBooks, video, audio and workshops

Comment

Originally posted by Coach Palfrey View Post
      Balance for what exactly?
      For the hell of it.
      A steak a day keeps the doctor away

Comment

This is a major issue as one ages; most falls in the over-60s are related to balance. I stand on one foot then the other while doing all sorts of mundane activities, like brushing my teeth, etc. Also, I have a balance board, and I use a swiss ball which has lots of core strengthening/balance exercises. Google balance or swissball exercises and you can find lots.
        This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
        Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Comment

Tai chi is great for balance. However, if you don't want to learn tai chi, just stand on one foot, when you get tired, change to the other foot. Great when you have to wait in a long line.

Comment

Walk barefoot.

Comment

Get a slackline.
              Brad

late onset type1 diabetic 4-27-10 @ age 30

Comment

Stand on one foot and juggle. Do it on an unstable surface. Stand on one foot with your eyes closed. Move your upper body around while you do it, lots of yoga poses for inspiration.

Gordo

Comment

First post here. I recommend you look into wobble boards, stability discs, and bosu ball exercises if you want to improve balance and stability.

Comment

Love yoga - definitely has improved my balance.

Comment

Personally I'm not a fan of bosu's, stability balls, wobble boards or any of the other 'balance' gadgets that proliferate these days - spend some time perfecting some gymnastic movements....handstands and cartwheels would be a great place to start.
                      Sandbag Training For MMA & Combat Sports
                      Sandbag Training Guide on Kindle
                      The Complete Guide To Sandbag Training
                      Brute Force Sandbags
                      www.facebook.com/sandbagfitness
                      http://fitedia.com/ - Health and Fitness eBooks, video, audio and workshops

Comment

Run along the backs of a stampedeing hurd of elephants
                        my photo stream
                        The Enlightened Warrior

Comment

Yoga has done amazing things for my balance and focus.

Comment

Originally posted by Coach Palfrey View Post
                            Personally I'm not a fan of bosu's, stability balls, wobble boards or any of the other 'balance' gadgets that proliferate these days - spend some time perfecting some gymnastic movements....handstands and cartwheels would be a great place to start.
                            Would you mind talking a little about why you don't like bosu's, stability balls, wobble boards or any of the other 'balance' gadgets that proliferate these days? I've not heard negatives about them before, so I'd like to learn more from you. Thanks.

Comment

Yoga. Tree pose can be done anywhere and is a good place to start. Then move to headstands (or handstands if you've got strong arms/wrists).
                              5'6" 27 y/o female, Primal 6 months and counting.

CW: 160 -- in single-digit dress sizes for the first time in 12 years!

GW: 150 -- for swimsuit season

Comment

Working...
                              X