Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much weight in relation to my one rep max?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much weight in relation to my one rep max?

I'm training for strength, not size, but im not sure how much I should be lifting. If I'm doing sets of 5x5, what % of my one rep max should I be lifting?

I heard 90% for three reps, so it'd be like 80% right?

Also lower reps + higher weight = more strength right? should I drop those sets down to 3x3's?

Here's a handy 1RM calculator: Predicting One-rep Max
    I guess this calculator is kinda the opposite of what you're asking for, sorry. But the table at the bottom should still be useful (~85% for 5 reps... but if you're doing 5 sets, then 80% seems reasonable)

And strength standards: Weightlifting Performance Standards
    Exrx.net also has lots of good info on lifting in general.

I would recommend doing some heavy sets with low reps and some lighter sets with higher reps. I don't think one should train only in one rep range. I've been doing reverse pyramids (a few warm up sets, a few sets at max weight, step weight down and increase reps for a few sets) and it's been working great for me. But yes, in general, working with heavier weights will make you stronger than with lighter weights.
    Last edited by yodiewan; 03-05-2011, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Thats a good tool, but now what % should I choose for 5 reps?

Comment

If you are doing SS or SL 5x5s you should be starting with just the bar and build from there, if you are more advanced you should be looking at a different program.
        My whole life, I've felt like an animal......but I've ignored my instincts. I ignored what I really am. That will never happen again.

My blog

Comment

no...i can definatly do more than the bar. I've been lifting for a while but haven't been doing it "properly". Now im really keeping track of my strength.

Could you reccomend a good two-day routine for strength?

Comment

Originally posted by milkycereal View Post
            no...i can definatly do more than the bar. I've been lifting for a while but haven't been doing it "properly". Now im really keeping track of my strength.

Could you reccomend a good two-day routine for strength?
            Day 1: Deadlift.

Day 2: Squat.
            Sandbag Training For MMA & Combat Sports
            Sandbag Training Guide on Kindle
            The Complete Guide To Sandbag Training
            Brute Force Sandbags
            www.facebook.com/sandbagfitness
            http://fitedia.com/ - Health and Fitness eBooks, video, audio and workshops

Comment

Originally posted by Coach Palfrey View Post
              Day 1: Deadlift.

Day 2: Squat.
              I lold
              But seriously, you don't think the 2 day program would be better with a row/chin/power clean on day 2 and a benchpress/overhead press on day 1?

Comment

Originally posted by Pandadude View Post
                I lold
                Hehe - I did too, and I must admit it has a valid point.
                Sometimes you need to be told the truth in order to be able to see it.

My journal

I see grain people...

Exist in shadow, drifting away.

Comment

Mehdi's StrongLifts 5x5 is good - it is generally 3 days / week, but you can do it in two. As for the starting weight - dont worry too much about it. Take your 1RM, take 30-40% off and this is where you start. You will be adding 2.5kg every session anyway, so will you be back up sooner than you would like :-) - don't get too greedy. Contrary to what some websites want to tell (sell) you, you are in there for the long run, not for 3 months.
                  And if you really can't deal with being seen with such a low weight, just to do sets across starting at 1RM - 40%, adding 2.5kg every SET. You will know very quickly where your 5x5RM is

UPDATE: a word of warning - athlethes are at a higher risk of injury just after they return after a break: their nervous system knows how to make the muscles work, but the muscles are no longer there. Best case: monster DOMS. Worst case: Rhabdomyolysis
                  Last edited by Thor Falk; 03-06-2011, 06:36 AM.
                  http://thorfalk.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by Pandadude View Post
                    I lold
                    But seriously, you don't think the 2 day program would be better with a row/chin/power clean on day 2 and a benchpress/overhead press on day 1?
                    Yeah, I was just being facetious. You get the idea though
                    Sandbag Training For MMA & Combat Sports
                    Sandbag Training Guide on Kindle
                    The Complete Guide To Sandbag Training
                    Brute Force Sandbags
                    www.facebook.com/sandbagfitness
                    http://fitedia.com/ - Health and Fitness eBooks, video, audio and workshops

Comment

Working...
                    X