Plantar Fasciitis lingering

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plantar Fasciitis lingering

I thought I had my PF in check, doing the daily stretches, ice bottle, etc, but last night, after my walk yesterday afternoon, I felt that familar grip up the back of my heel. I long since abandoned my Brooks/ Adidas big shoes. Anyone got something better to try?
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

I've had PF forever, it seems.

The only thing that reliably helps me is taping with Leukotape P.

Check out youtube videos for taping.

A friend of mine---a marathon runner with PF---says to tape for one year after symtpoms resolve.

Good luck. It stinks.
    Pea

Comment

Plantar fasciitis occurs when the foot muscles that hold the arch up get too weak and allow the arch to sag. Strengthening those muscles is the only lasting cure.

Plantar Fasciitis Treatment Runner's Corner | Runner's Corner

Plantar Fasciitis Exercise - It's simply an inflammation of the fascia on the bottom of the foot. | Sports Injury Bulletin

Gordo

Comment

How long are you holding your stretches? 60-90sec minimum per leg per excercise once or twice a day. Most don't hold the stretch long enough, 20-30sec won't do.

Are you stretching the gastoc and the solius/plantar fascia? Straight leg works the gastroc, bend knee the solius/plantar fascia. You should stretch to the point of pain and back of slightly to elongate the muscle fibers

Taping/strapping works great but needs to be consistently. Should be applied before your feet hit the floor. Can take weeks for it to come down.

A night splint to keep your feet at 90deg help as well. When you sleep your feet are pointed and the fascia tightens over night. when your step out of bed the pain and burning you feel is micro tears. The splints help avoid this.
        http://kitoikitchen.blogspot.com/

Comment

How was it when you woke up the next morning. SLIGHT burning for 1-2 hours after exercise can be ok. Sometimes the process of strengthening causes fatigue and a tiny bit of inflammation. If it was fine by morning it probably is nothing to worry about but may mean take it easy for a few days.
          MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

Comment

How long are you holding your stretches? 60-90sec minimum per leg per excercise once or twice a day. Most don't hold the stretch long enough, 20-30sec won't do.

My podiatrist said 20-30 so I've done that several times a day, but will try doing that longer.

I've not done taping, so will give that a try, thanks for the link.
            I"m not having but a twinge at this time, but don't want to get it again. I've walked an avg of 25 miles a week for almost thirty years. I got the PF in my left foot about twenty years ago, but it cleared up quickly, then got this back in the summer when I started a new route that has a couple very steep hills, but thought I had it under control.

I have this big splint from the podiatrist, but there's no way I could sleep in it; he had me wearing it for 30-60min per day.

I always stretch before i get out of bed, which has been a major help.

Thanks for all your comments. Does anyone do the old fashioned soaking feet in hot water?
            This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Strassburg sock.

And patience.
              Because if you didn't know, of that is life made: only of moments; Don't lose the now.
              ~Borges

Comment

I had a small bout of PF a couple yrs ago. My then Pilates instructor showed me some simple exercises that I did for a few weeks. PF disappeared and never came back. I don't know how to describe them. Perhaps you can go to a local Pilates studio and find out if instructors there know of such exercises and get a private lesson.
                Positively Radical Pigeonholes are for Pigeons!

Comment

Hillsidegina: Thanks! I found some great exercises at the Pilates site below that are really helping:

Australian Pilates AcademyArticles | Plantar Fasciitis

Comment

I had killer PF for years. One massage cured it. No joke!

Comment

Strassburg sock +100000000000000

longer stretches +100000000000000

strengthening exercises: towel crunches, single leg standing on an uneven surface, picking up marbles with your toes

cross friction massage (ouch!)- but worth it. Massage done right helps a lot too!
                      Last edited by NutMeg; 03-06-2011, 06:01 PM.
                      Meghan

My MDA journal

Primal Ponderings- my blog- finally added some food pron :P

And best of all my Body Fat Makeover!!

Comment

Great!
                        Positively Radical Pigeonholes are for Pigeons!

Comment

Originally posted by ErinC View Post
                          Can you write more about it?

I`ve got this condition for almost a year now and I`ve tried everything but it just wouldn`t go away.

All tips and hits are great help to me.

Comment

ErinC: Regular massage, or something else?

I remembered, thanks to all the good ideas posted, that the last time I had this (20+ years ago) I wore a thin arch-ankle compression brace when I did my four mile walks daily that really helped. I 've just ordered one from Amazon.
                            Last edited by Digby; 03-07-2011, 03:50 AM.

Comment

Hard to believe that it was really PF, and not something else. I tried massage, night splints, stretching, ice, insoles, cushy shoes, orthotics, super stiff hiking boots, ibuprofen out the ying-yang, you name it. For twenty five years. Once I started strengthening my feet, it went away in a few months.

Gordo

Comment

Working...
                              X