For those interested in Sandbag Training

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For those interested in Sandbag Training

I recently got my hands on a new sandbag from the guys at Brute Force Sandbags and I've been training with it for the past few weeks. As most of you probably know, I train almost exclusively with homemade sandbags. I've had a lot of fun with the Brute Force bag though and it has stood up to some tough workouts!

What makes it so good?

The addition of 8 different handles on the bag really opens up lots of options for different exercises. While it is possible to replicate some of these without handles, others (like the snatch) just aren't possible. And, if you want a tougher 'grip' workout then you can just grab hold of the cordura.

The sand is contained in fillable inserts (3 in my bag). These haven't leaked, despite dumping the bag multiple times from overhead. It also allows for the sand to move around within the bag and makes many lifts more challenging. And the inserts can be added or removed during workouts to add or reduce intensity.

The bag seems indestructible. I've heard from lots of people who have had problems with sandbags splitting during workouts so this would be a great choice.

For sandbag workout ideas head over to The Sandbag Fitness Blog

Check out Brute Force Sandbags
    Sandbag Training For MMA & Combat Sports
    Sandbag Training Guide on Kindle
    The Complete Guide To Sandbag Training
    Brute Force Sandbags
    www.facebook.com/sandbagfitness
    http://fitedia.com/ - Health and Fitness eBooks, video, audio and workshops

hey coach.
    i like the idea of sandbag training, but i'm not wild about dropping over $100 dollars on one just yet. do you have any good instructions for making a homemade sandbag?
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

Ditto. Some of us live on just over $100 for our grocery budget. Buying an expensive sandbag just isn't an option.

Comment

I've been thinking of buying a Brute Force bag. The two homemade ones I had started leaking way too fast. This summer I imagine my workout equipment will consist of a sandbag, a 16 lb sledgehammer, and gymnast rings that I can sling over a bar somewhere.
        You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

Buy a duffel bag, buy a bag of sand. (Or go to the beach and get free sand.) There, sandbag.

Comment

LOL Darth, true. You'd be surprised how hard it is to find a decent duffel bag around here.

I'd toyed with the idea of buying a nice sandbag shell, and filling it with my own bags of sand. Should work...

Comment

The bags that sand comes in still leak.
              You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

I'm going to be buying salt bags now that they're going to be cheaper, re-bagging them (not taking them out of their original bag) and taping the F out of them. I'm not sure how well they'll hold, but since I can buy 25lb bags I think they will come in handy. I wonder where I can buy sacks or like tough linen or something to make them more sturdy, but since the snow season is pretty much over in NJ I'm hoping to get some cheap salt bags if they're even still available. If I can find 40lb or 50lb bags I'll buy one of those as well.

Enter, Ross Enamait: http://www.rosstraining.com/sandbagconstructionkit.pdf

if you guys are unfamiliar with this site, check out: RossTraining.com • View topic - Homemade Equipment Links

tons of DIY (do it yourself) training equipment how-to's.

FORGET SAND, USE SOMETHING ELSE. Sand will leak too easily, use different material, gravel maybe, check out the link I posted you goons.
                I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
                  The bags that sand comes in still leak.
                  That's why the devil invented duct tape.

Diana, I'd just go for an old school Army Navy store duffel. Wrap the sand bag in plastic or some such, duct tape the sucker up, insert into duffel. Done. Nothing is was or ever will be perfect including $100 sandbags.

Comment

Originally posted by iniQuity View Post
                    I think they will come in handy. I wonder where I can buy sacks or like tough linen or something to make them more sturdy,

Try canvas. We used to wrap sacks of rice in canvas and duct tape and then toss them around trying to catch them as they fell to increase grip strength for joint locks.

Sand might leak, but it's advantage is that it has less volume for it's weight. We also used to use lead shot for this reason.

Comment

Mountain Athlete

Often used is sand, kitty litter, wood pellets, rubber pellets from shredded tires, etc. These seem pretty durable.

Comment

I am going to build a sandbag out of some contractor trash bags, a canvas duffel, and some water softener salt that I have. I figure total cost about $20. Ain't no way I am blowing over $100 on a sand filled duffel bag. That is for people with money they don't know what to do with. I figure with no easy access handles all I will do is build my grip strength that much faster.
                        Check out my primal blog: http://primalroar.posterous.com/

Comment

Originally posted by MightyAl View Post
                          I am going to build a sandbag out of some contractor trash bags, a canvas duffel, and some water softener salt that I have. I figure total cost about $20. Ain't no way I am blowing over $100 on a sand filled duffel bag. That is for people with money they don't know what to do with. I figure with no easy access handles all I will do is build my grip strength that much faster.
                          That's my belief as well. I admit I'm a novice to handbag training but I figure handles are for different types of sandbag work, sort of like a kettlebell. I'm hoping Coach Palfrey will shed light on the subject.
                          I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

Hi everybody- My name is Keith and I run Brute Force Sandbags. I just wanted to make a few quick comments regarding sandbags and sandbag training. When I set out to make a sandbag, I did what many of you have done or will do- I went to the Army Navy store and bought a canvas duffle- I filled it with bags of sand and pea gravel. There is a night and day difference between my first homemade sandbag, and where we have arrived in terms of commercial sandbags. Just to clarify, I contacted Matt Palfrey after I found his sandbag training blog. I was impressed that he had dedicated an entire blog to sandbag training, and that the only tools he used were homemade sandbags. There was even a comment by him mentioning that you didn't have to fork out tons of cash to get a good workout. I figured if I could make a believer out of him with our sandbags, it could be done with anyone. So I sent him a free sandbag. No catches, no gimmicks- I just requested he give me his honest opinion after he used it. And he liked it!

I am not going to argue and say that you can't get a great workout using homemade sandbags- that is simply not true. I would rather have a homemade sandbag than no sandbag at all. (If anyone wants a free exercises .pdf to use with your sandbag shoot me an email.) But if you want to enhance your training experiences, then a quality commercial sandbag made from Cordura may be the way to go. They simply will not break, the dust leakage is minimal, and your hands won't be eaten up by buckles or straps. The handles are a huge plus, giving you dozens of options you would have otherwise not had. You can even find handless sandbags if you want to really challenge your grip, or feel the handles are an insult to the sandbag. There are some sandbag companies out there that have given commercial sandbags a bad name and I cannot blame anyone who feels they are just getting "an over priced duffle bag." That's about how I feel about most of the sandbags on the market as well. We have an exchange program where we take in our competitors sandbag and replace them with ours at a discount. I get to see first hand what people are suckered into buying and I sympathize with them.
                            Last edited by Brute Force; 03-05-2011, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Shoot me an email Diana and I'll get you hooked up.

Comment

Working...
                              X