Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hanging Leg Raise Tutorial

Hey Groks and Grokettes -

I just posted a new hanging leg raise tutorial as per the request of a few forum members (thanks for the idea, guys!).

As always, your comments are appreciated - feel free to post them right on my blog.

We're Working Out!
    Al
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

sigpic

great post al. can't wait to find a tree branch or something to hang from to try those strait legged raises.

by some stroke of miracle, i was able to do two dragon flags this past weekend. it almost hurts to breathe i'm so sore. too much too soon i guess.
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

Ah, one of my favorites! Great work Al, the rotating variation reminds me of windshield wipers a lot (similar move, only you don't let your feet go below your waist you just keep them side to side... hi obliques!!)
      I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

Originally posted by primalrob View Post
        great post al. can't wait to find a tree branch or something to hang from to try those strait legged raises.

by some stroke of miracle, i was able to do two dragon flags this past weekend. it almost hurts to breathe i'm so sore. too much too soon i guess.
        I need to do dragonflags more often, I haven't gotten good at them at all. I was working towards a full front lever when I realized how silly that is if I can't do a couple of solid dragonflags and dragonflag holds.. and is there a cooler name for an exercise? I think not...

Comment

yeah, i force my husband to stnd there while i do them. he gets a work out too, as i use his legs as my support so that i'm not moving --kwim? anyway, it's fun for me.

i'm working on human flag thingy. and i was doing straight legg raises.

my one arm chins are SAD though. SAD. like, my left arm is NOT working, and my right arm is working ok. my left shoulder has a bit of an issue. it's got all kinds of funny-ness in the rotator cuff (if my awesome massage therapist is right, and since i have several healers here and they are all zero-ing in on the scar tissue in my shoulder and it's connection to my rotator cuff. . .well, anyway. we have a new physio joining us soon, and he does a lot of postural work -- he's also identified some elements to it too. it's cool working here.

but my one arms are SAD. so very, very sad. uber sad. i am feeling discouraged about it.

so, working on flags instead.

btw, now my kid goes "oh snap!" and "hot damn!" all the time. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by primalrob View Post

Thanks and congrats on the dragon flags! They'll come easier next time - keep it up!

Originally posted by iniQuity View Post
            Ah, one of my favorites! Great work Al, the rotating variation reminds me of windshield wipers a lot (similar move, only you don't let your feet go below your waist you just keep them side to side... hi obliques!!)
            Thank you and yeah, it's more or less the same thing as a windshield wiper. There are a million variations on the same themes.

I need to do dragonflags more often, I haven't gotten good at them at all. I was working towards a full front lever when I realized how silly that is if I can't do a couple of solid dragonflags and dragonflag holds.. and is there a cooler name for an exercise? I think not...
            Definitely a cool name. And you're right to work the dragon flag before the front lever. I'd think the continuum looks like this: dragon flag --> back lever --> human flag --> front lever --> planche.

Originally posted by zoebird View Post
            yeah, i force my husband to stnd there while i do them. he gets a work out too, as i use his legs as my support so that i'm not moving --kwim? anyway, it's fun for me.

i'm working on human flag thingy. and i was doing straight legg raises.

my one arm chins are SAD though. SAD. like, my left arm is NOT working, and my right arm is working ok. my left shoulder has a bit of an issue. it's got all kinds of funny-ness in the rotator cuff (if my awesome massage therapist is right, and since i have several healers here and they are all zero-ing in on the scar tissue in my shoulder and it's connection to my rotator cuff. . .well, anyway. we have a new physio joining us soon, and he does a lot of postural work -- he's also identified some elements to it too. it's cool working here.

but my one arms are SAD. so very, very sad. uber sad. i am feeling discouraged about it.

so, working on flags instead.
            Don't feel bad about not being able to do a one arm chin. Practice two arm chins for a while until they get easy, then try again. It's good to have other stuff like hanging leg raises to play with in the meantime too.

btw, now my kid goes "oh snap!" and "hot damn!" all the time. LOL
            That's hilarious!
            "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

sigpic

Comment

I never thought to do the circular version (or the wipers version ini suggested).. nice variations, I'll try them tomorrow!

Comment

I have never tried a human flag... not even like a knee tucked in version which is probably the only thing I'd be able to get right now.

Comment

true, true. still doing two arms, and doing a row (hanging?) and various others.

Comment

love it! I do this at the park with my kids so now can try some more variations.

Comment

Can't see the video. I've never had a problem seeing one of your vids before...

Robin's Roost
                      My Primal Journal

Comment

yeah, yeah, so my "workouts" are two arm chins, row thingies (hanging), the knee lifts (trying to work with straight legs), and dragon flags (when i can pin DH down to do them), planks and what nots (which are really just part of my yoga practice), and. . .whatever else i feel like.

oh, i want to do pull ups and stuff, and the dips on a bar and muscle ups, but i'm having a hard go of it. i can do the pull up -- barely -- and i can do the dips ok (with my bar in the low position). but i haven't found a place where i can do muscle ups.

oh, and kipping is bizarre. i've been trying to get the rhythm while not destroying either the kitchen counter top OR hitting my legs into the stairs. Yes, it's an odd doorway that we chose. Still. so, kipping isn't working out too well. LOL

acroyoga got postponed due to the floods in Australia, but now i'm the new organizer, so i get to go for free! *sweet as*

Comment

Originally posted by ciep View Post
                          I never thought to do the circular version (or the wipers version ini suggested).. nice variations, I'll try them tomorrow!
                          Glad to give you a new variation!

I have never tried a human flag... not even like a knee tucked in version which is probably the only thing I'd be able to get right now.
                          You could get a tucked knee flag for a couple seconds with a little practice.

true, true. still doing two arms, and doing a row (hanging?) and various others.
                          The basic two arm pull-up is still my favorite exercise!

Originally posted by moo View Post
                          love it! I do this at the park with my kids so now can try some more variations.
                          The park is a great place to do them! Have fun!

Originally posted by Herbwifemama View Post
                          Can't see the video. I've never had a problem seeing one of your vids before...
                          Bummer. Give it another shot later. Is anyone else having trouble?

yeah, yeah, so my "workouts" are two arm chins, row thingies (hanging), the knee lifts (trying to work with straight legs), and dragon flags (when i can pin DH down to do them), planks and what nots (which are really just part of my yoga practice), and. . .whatever else i feel like.

oh, i want to do pull ups and stuff, and the dips on a bar and muscle ups, but i'm having a hard go of it. i can do the pull up -- barely -- and i can do the dips ok (with my bar in the low position). but i haven't found a place where i can do muscle ups.

oh, and kipping is bizarre. i've been trying to get the rhythm while not destroying either the kitchen counter top OR hitting my legs into the stairs. Yes, it's an odd doorway that we chose. Still. so, kipping isn't working out too well. LOL

acroyoga got postponed due to the floods in Australia, but now i'm the new organizer, so i get to go for free! *sweet as*
                          Sounds like a good routine you got there.

Not to be a downer, but pull-ups and such are generally harder for women. You can definitely build up to doing all the stuff you listed, it's just gonna take a little more work and a bit more patience.

Also, look for an outdoor spot to practice kipping.

sigpic

Comment

yeah, i'm keeping my eyes peeled for an outdoor spot. i got chased off the scaffolding. LOL

i figure it will take a fair bit of time to get there -- like one arm chins. part of it being just finding a place.

a lot of the playgrounds don't hve bars, but these massive rope things that wiggle a lot. it's very cool to climb (hawk loves it, and he's made it to the second level on his own, and the grannies yell at me about it because they think it's dangerous but i'm right there with him, so. . .), but it's hard to do any kind of chins/etc on because you get tangled in the ropes. anyway, yeah. still looking.

Comment

Working...
                            X