X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aboriginal Gatherer-Hunters (1939)

Hi All,

I found this pic of hunter-gatherers' from 1939: http://imgur.com/Pv494

I only hope I can be in as great shape when I'm as old as the man in the middle, it's remarkable.

I've seen that picture before, its pretty amazing. The six pack on these guys...wow.

eta: ok, 4pack, but still.
    Calm the f**k down.

Comment

I am reading The Old Way: A Story of the First People by Elizabeth Marshall Thomas. It's about the Kalahari Bushmen before "civilization" destroyed their way of life. Maybe direct descendants of Lucy. Would call it "required reading" for anyone on paleo/primal.
      Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Comment

Saw it and thought, "What kind of weird muscle striations..... oh, ritual scarring. Gotcha."
        You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

Yeah I figure the guy in the middle is likely about 45.

Comment

i would say 45/55 yeah

Comment

Originally posted by zoebird View Post
              i would say 45/55 yeah
              I was thinking mid to late 50s.

Comment

lol As shown by the comments above, disagreements about age are another benefit of being Primal! "You're how old?! Unpossible!"
                August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

Comment

wow!

Comment

That pic was taken in the late 1930's at Bathurst Island.

I've been there fishing.

Sadly, you don't see to many who look like that anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by twa2w View Post
                      Yeah I figure the guy in the middle is likely about 45.
                      I seriously doubt it. I've seen many examples, personally, of people on native diets aging beautifully, and of course, we know what happens on modern diets. For photographic evidence, there's this Nutrition and Physical Degeneration

- A man who IS most likely in his 40s or 50s (figure 30), king of Fiji. If he's older, all the better.
                      - A Eskimo woman with 26 children, so we can guess she's over 40 (figure 9).
                      - A Pygmy woman with two grown sons (figure 43).
                      - Aboriginal men described as "very old", and he notes the lack of baldness in them (figure 52). These look very much like the man in the OP's photo. Figure 53 shows men much more likely to be in their 30s, 40s, or 50s.
                      - A grandmother from the Torres Straight (figure 63). She has at least one adult daughter.
                      - Men of varying ages from the Great Barrier Reef (figure 64). They show reasonable variation in aging.
                      - A 90 year old Peruvian man (figure 80).
                      - Peruvian men of varying ages (figure 81), showing reasonable variation in aging.
                      - A "very old" man who still climbs the Andes up into the snows to herd llamas (figure 87). (Again, the age must be inferred, but we know there was a 90 year old man in figure 80, so these people are probably not making stuff up when they call him "very old." He should be compared to a 62 year old woman who daily carries huge bundles in the Alps without strain, whose photograph is in the book, but not this online copy.)

And I finally found the woman I was looking for: http://treattoothdecay.com/wp-conten...81NILSL500.jpg The woman second from the left is 90 years old. The citation is somewhere in the book.

And DARN I can't find any online copies of one of my favorites from the book, the 80 year old, 6'6" Masai chief standing with a line of some of his children from his eight wives. He looks amazing and nowhere near 80.

In my experience, hunter-gatherers tend to show similar signs of aging to us until they are in their 40s, and then they look MUCH younger than us from that point forward.
                      5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
                      Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
                      Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
                      Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
                      ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

I'd bet the man in the middle is closer to 70 than 60

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick View Post
                          lol As shown by the comments above, disagreements about age are another benefit of being Primal! "You're how old?! Unpossible!"
                          i agree!

Comment

Originally posted by slowcooker View Post
                            I'd bet the man in the middle is closer to 70 than 60
                            That was my guess too. 45? These must be 20 somethings taking guesses at what is "old." I'm 40 and most people mistake me for late 20's or early 30's, but that might be because I act like a jackass more so than me being a typical out of shape 40 year old.
                            People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_o View Post
                              That pic was taken in the late 1930's at Bathurst Island.

I've been there fishing.

Sadly, you don't see to many who look like that anymore.
                              Just drunk white guys fighting over who has the better of the two most boring cars ever made. Fords or General Motors Holdens? Hmmm let me see ....neither. Its like asking who would i rather do - Susan boyle or Sarah Ferguson?

Comment

Working...
                              X