Is exercise the key to health?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is exercise the key to health?

I was reading this http://rawfoodsos.com/2011/01/06/veg...heart-disease/ and it seams every time I read something about grain eaters being healthy it comes down to not be sedentary. My guess is they would be doing a lot of walking and some heavy lifting, maybe running once in a while (sounds familiar!). So do you think exercise is really the key to health?

It's one of the many factors contributing to health, absolutely. Is it the key? I think it can be because it usually leads to analyzing other aspects of your life as they relate to exercise. Obviously the method differs but typically people that partake in exercise are conscious of their health and may try to make better choices in other areas such as not smoking, drinking more moderately, eating better (and this is where it all goes wrong for most, thanks to misinformation) getting more sleep, more sun, playing more, etc. Exercise can be the beginning for many.
    I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

Originally posted by DanC View Post
      So do you think exercise is really the key to health?
      Absolutely! Sleep, diet and other lifestyle factors are important as well, but I believe intense exercise is the #1 most important part of the puzzle.
      "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

sigpic

Comment

I don't know if it's "the" key, but I think it's "a" key.
        Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Comment

Exercise regularly and with intensity while eating a ton of cakes and bread. See what happens.
          The Primal Journey of Mr and Mrs Fist
          Blog
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Primal Fist View Post
            Exercise regularly and with intensity while eating a ton of cakes and bread. See what happens.
            I've known lots of guys who had lousy diets but worked out seriously and many of them were in above-average health. Would those same people be better off if they ate better? Of course they would, but in the words of Jack Lalanne, "Exercise is king, nutrition is queen."
            "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

sigpic

Comment

Going by my personal experience, I worked 12 hour days in a warehouse lifting heavy stuff all day, ran and did crossfit-type workouts at the weekends, but had a lousy diet - and I was always ill, had a hard time getting any stronger, and couldn't shift the fat. Now I do less but eat infinitely better, and all those things have changed.
              The Primal Journey of Mr and Mrs Fist
              Blog
              sigpic

Comment

So, Al, you disagree with Mark's assertion that it's 80% diet and 20% exercise? (It's my experience that it's definitely NOT 80% diet for me. I can't make any strides without exercise, it seems. This has bothered me since the beginning I feel defective LOL.)

Comment

I have to disagree, Al. Lots of evidence out there that a good diet trumps exercise vs good exercise trumping diet. Of course, we all know that a balance is important. Personally, I'd be horribly unhappy without exercise! I love doing it, but I love doing it because of the fact my diet has given me the energy, fat loss, etc. to enjoy it. It could never have been the opposite for me. Exercise sans good diet is like swimming upstream instead of getting out of the water and just walking the path right next to the river. Do both and it's like someone's practically carrying you to wellness.

A lot of it depends on the person, but I thought it interesting to hear Gary Taubes talk about exercise as being antithetical to good health. He didn't really mean it (at least not how we Primal folks approach exercise and fitness) but it was a fun way to introduce his talking points.
                  August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

Comment

I don’t think Al is doing this, but a lot of people wrongly equate looking good/fit with being healthy. You can look the part and internally be dealing with nasty shit.

That’s why you see Vegan bodybuilders or what-have-you presented as “proof” that such diets are good for you and all that.
                    I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

Originally posted by kennelmom View Post
                      I don't know if it's "the" key, but I think it's "a" key.
                      +1. I used to use exercise as my "get out of jail free" card that could negate the crappy way I was eating. The exercise kept the weight off even though I was not eating very well. That worked for me in my 20's & early 30's when my metabolism was much better. After having a baby in my mid-30's and now I'm in my early 40's, my metabolism has slowed way down. Exercise definitely helps, but it doesn't forgive the sins of a crappy diet.

Exercise is a piece of the puzzle, but it's not the only piece. I love to exercise, it makes me feel good and strong, and it helps me keep stress in check. But I love the Primal approach to fitness that I've adoped which is that I don't have to go out and kill myself 6 days a week for several hours at a pop to reap the benefits. I've scaled my exercise back since going Primal, but yet I'm far more intentional about it. The result? I'm happier with my workouts, less stressed about getting them into my busy schedule, and guess what?! I'm more toned than I've been in a very long time! I'm getting far more bang for my buck with the primal approach to fitness.

Comment

A diet can be great, good, bad, worse, terrible and anywhere in between. For that matter so can exercise. Eating a ton of bread and cakes or lifting heavy things 12 hrs a day every day I would think would be terrible for health in different ways. So I was thinking more about good to great exercise and bad but not terrible dieting.

Comment

You can also look at the example of someone like Olympic rower Steve Redgrave, one of England's greatest athletes, who won gold medals at five consecutive Olympics (1984-2000), and who at age 35 developed type-2 diabetes, all because of his diet.

Comment

The problem with intense exercise for me was that I could get away with eating badly. It's been fascinating going at it from the other side....get the eating right so that I'm where I want to be weight-wise, and then add exercise back in. I feel a lot healthier.
                            Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
                            Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Comment

I think exercise is an important part of health, but for me I've found that diet is a way bigger deal. Both are key, but diet is the more important key. I feel good so long as I'm eating well and sleeping well. Exercise would make me feel even better, but I think I'm doing better for myself by eating well and not getting so much exercise than I would be if I was still running every day but eating candy and pasta regularly.

Comment

Working...
                              X