Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you guys vary your workouts or do you keep the same for a couple of weeks?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you guys vary your workouts or do you keep the same for a couple of weeks?

Do you guys vary your workouts or do you keep the same for a couple of weeks?
    Grok from Germany

Primal since End/Beginning of 2010/2011

most of what i do still revolves around the same basic movements, I'll just kind of mix and match things. I just built myself a sandbag, so I'm starting to play with new things, but I'm planning on only using it to supplement the things I already do. Staples include pushups(several variations), pullups, squats and planks.
    -Nilaiha
    my primal journal

Comment

I need to fix my damn sandbag. Until I do, it's the same: SimpleFit.
      August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

Comment

i'm on week 8 of starting strength, same 2 workouts over and over - and i have no problem with it
        I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

Comment

I try mix things up -- I keep Mark's principles in mind but try do fun stuff I am in the mood for

Comment

I mix it up alot without overtraining a specific muscle group. I try to stick to compound movements and variations of them. I have really been training instinctively lately meaning I will not plan a workout but instead do what my body feels like doing, unless that means overtraining a specific muscle group. Sometimes a will deadlift heavy, but low reps. Other times light weight, high reps. Sometimes Tabatas, sometimes a crossfit workout. I love being outside and I absolutely love doing stair workouts where I will climb say 10 flights of stairs and then at the top bust out as many burpees or pushups that I can and then recover descending the stairs and then repeat. I am a firefighter and that is an awesome job specific workout. Anyway, sorry for rambling on. You guys get me fired up here, lol, love this website,love being Primal. Grok on!!

Comment

i stick with PBF a lot of the time. that's about all i do this time of year. but, once it gets warmer, my workouts will vary a lot as i go outside
              http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

I still do CrossFit twice a week...usually from the HQ main page. Which is constantly varied. I also do a typical CrossFit dynamic warm up before, which includes lots of air squats, pull ups, and push ups (plus handstand walks, jumping rope, bear crawls, and cartwheels).

But I make sure that at least twice a week I hit either heavy dead lifts, back squats, overhead squats, cleans, and snatches (5 x 5) (if they are not already a part of the WoD).
                Striving to live a life extraordinary.

Comment

Yea Im out there with Rob i keep to the basic PBF till it's warm out then ill be outside climbing trees chasing deer and other outdoor activities again
                  my photo stream
                  The Enlightened Warrior

Comment

I did a 12 week cycle of strength training. I do strength training once a week. Every week progressed. I either increased in time or weight. When I failed to increase... I changed my routine by decreasing the number of exercises per week.

For me... my best routine is to do resistance training once a week. I do one upper body routine a week and a leg press every week for weight loss.

Any exercise I do besides that is for what I have coming up as a personal event. For example... this weekend my wife and I plan on skating the Rideau Canal... weather permitting. For the past six weeks we have been skating at least once a week in preparation.

Does that make sense?

Comment

I go through phases. During climbing season (August-December) I just climb and train for climbing. Winter is snowboarding. Spring I get into running usually (my hometown puts on weekly 10K races, plus the largest 15K in the country). Summer is a free for all (usually a mix of seasonal sports/activities).

All year long I weave basic fitness workouts into whatever I'm doing.

The extremely important thing to me is that I'm always very interested in what I'm doing. I always enjoy my workouts.

Comment

I do all the main lifts during the week..1 Main lift a day really..followed by some oly lifting..I still use the SS warm up for my lifts cause I like it..Then I do 3X5...oly lifts sometimes 5X3..

I also like on the min every min stuff for cleans and snatches

If im feeling up to it..i'll do no lifts and hit a metcon in the crossfit thats in the city...Or sometimes I do a Short heavy 10 min metcon after my strength...

Sprints and bodyweight have became my play too...so I guess I have a set template with strength but everything else goes on how I feel that day.

Comment

I think it kind of depends on how complex your routine is to begin with. If you're seeing progress then there is no reason to fix what isn't broken. When you stall it might be a good idea to substitute the movement for something similar (until that stalls and then you can go back to the first one, at which point you will probably be stronger at it), or switch up the volume/intensity/frequency.

So personally I'm doing an upper/lower body split strength routine where I do 2 upper and 2 lower workouts in a 7-10 day period. The 2 upper body workouts are similar, but I alternate barbell rows and chins for my back exercise, and then I alternate frequency with the other exercises (3 sets or 5 sets). Similar deal for the lower body. Doing an unstructured routine with random exercises will probably be bad because you won't be pursuing actual progress in numbers, and tracking will be difficult.

Comment

You need to pick a program and stick to it for a certain time... I think 3 months is a good time frame.

Comment

Originally posted by Vick View Post
                              For example... this weekend my wife and I plan on skating the Rideau Canal... weather permitting.
                              Vick, if you're in Ottawa, fire me a message on here. I'm trying to find and get some Ottawans together for a Primal night out. Got two others so far.
                              August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

Comment

Working...
                              X