Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

sprinting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • sprinting

    in my chronic cardio days, I ran a 10k every day for several years (then went to the gym/did spinning/lifted weights - you get the picture).

    I have cut right back on my workouts, I train 5 or 6 times a week, always have a complete rest day. I lift weight 3 times a week, do some spin classes (often keeping my HR to under 75% as they then act as a wonderful active recovery session). I love my yoga - when I can fit it in. I walk a lot more.

    I could never get my head around sprints. I always said I would "much prefer to run for an hour at a steady, not-quite-comfy-but-maintainable pace (probably 85/85% max) than sprint".

    Something has changed! Over the past few weeks, I have WANTED to do my sprint sessions. I space them out of course, but I actually ENJOY them. I have noticed myself beginning to get noticeably faster too.

    Hopefully, I am also laying some speed work for when I DO want to go for a long run - occasionally (and especially when I'm on holiday, when I LOVE to run most days). Am I making myself fitter overall with this?? Hope so.

    Anyhoo - just sharing. My little chubby legs were a positive blur this morning and I felt so happy afterwards
    Last edited by denise; 02-15-2011, 09:02 AM. Reason: spelling

  • #2
    high fives!

    I know what you mean about chronic cardio - so done with that. I used to think more was better, spin then weights. Long runs then weights. I have been doing my weights at the gym and then I hop on the treadmill and do 30s sprint (13km/h or so) and rest 30 seconds and maybe do it 5 times. I think I am getting faster too. Its intense but over in flash. I actually think its kind of fun.

    When I look around the gym I see all these women slogging it out on the cardio machines, I just feel relieved I don't have to be one of them anymore. Some of them are very slim but they look so fragile. What a battle they must have to maintain that. I might do a few 10k this year but I won't really train for them. Just a few longer runs before hand. I like the shiny medals. lol

    What sprinting are you doing?

    Comment


    • #3
      Sprints are so much more fun (kind of) and less boring than running slower for two hours. I just run a 10k a year now (the City of Manchester 10k in June) with MDA forumite Megalodon.
      The Primal Journey of Mr and Mrs Fist
      Blog
      sigpic

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by irenesom View Post
        high fives!

        I know what you mean about chronic cardio - so done with that. I used to think more was better, spin then weights. Long runs then weights. I have been doing my weights at the gym and then I hop on the treadmill and do 30s sprint (13km/h or so) and rest 30 seconds and maybe do it 5 times. I think I am getting faster too. Its intense but over in flash. I actually think its kind of fun.

        When I look around the gym I see all these women slogging it out on the cardio machines, I just feel relieved I don't have to be one of them anymore. Some of them are very slim but they look so fragile. What a battle they must have to maintain that. I might do a few 10k this year but I won't really train for them. Just a few longer runs before hand. I like the shiny medals. lol

        What sprinting are you doing?
        My "sprint protocols" (ooer get me!) are either 30" at 13/13.5 km/h then walk til HR hits 72% (for me thats 120 bpm) then sprint again - or 20/30/40/50/60/20/30 etc intervals with walking to get to 72%. I do that for 20'. I warm up by incline walking - up to 14% elevation and at about 6.5km/h for about 15' and cool down by walking myself to "completely recovered" and then stretching a LOT!! Thats it. Today I actaully played at walking up and down and fast and slow for about 45 extra minutes - just cos I felt like it. No pressure to do it that way every time though.

        I still don't sprint and do weights on the same day - I usually do a spin class to warm up for weights (and sometimes that class is a sprint interval class too!! Nice for a change). Somehow in contrast to what I used to do that seems SO little!! No doubt as time goes by I will lose the spin and just do really heavy weights.

        then thing about all those women on the machines - many are at the same intensity as they were a year ago! And I also notice NO improvement in their bodies - though as many say they are "just maintaining" - you can't comment. I don't want to "maintain" - I want to improve and I'm willing to work for it!! Nice to think I might finally have found a way that will deliver! Enjoying it is such a bonus.

        Still smiling!
        Last edited by denise; 02-15-2011, 11:20 AM. Reason: I put 12 bpm - not 120. Be hard to do that

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Primal Fist View Post
          Sprints are so much more fun (kind of) and less boring than running slower for two hours. I just run a 10k a year now (the City of Manchester 10k in June) with MDA forumite Megalodon.
          and have you found your fitness level is ok for that 10k to still be "easy" and fun?? (I do still want to enjoy my long runs. I plan to begin to put in some miles across the summer so i can enjoy the holiday runs in September.)

          as for "sprinitng is fun" - well I guess we are just happy masochists?? And of course it's soooo nice when it stops!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by denise View Post
            then thing about all those women on the machines - many are at the same intensity as they were a year ago! And I also notice NO improvement in their bodies - though as many say they are "just maintaining" - you can't comment. I don't want to "maintain" - I want to improve and I'm willing to work for it!! Nice to think I might finally have found a way that will deliver! Enjoying it is such a bonus.

            Still smiling!
            OK is not good. Fine is not optimal. And maintenance, when improvement can be achieved with reasonable effort, is stagnation. Sprinting is definitely fun -- there's something to be said for being able to move that quickly under your own feet.

            Comment


            • #7
              I had the same mindset as you before. I would run 5-6 miles per day and add in a 10-12 miler once a week. Then I would hit the gym and lift weights 4-5 days a week. I was so tired all the time and was eating a lot of CW foods. At work I would just feel terrible and tired all the time. But since I found Paleo I stopped chronic cardio and started walking instead of it. I sprint and play basketball twice a week. My sprint protocol is 4x400, 4x200, and 4x100. On my last few sets of 100s there is pretty much nothing left in the tank. Those last few sets are definitely not fun lol but they doing it is extremely productive in my opinion. My 5k times have been getting progressively faster the more sprinting I do and the less jogging I do. And with sprinting your whole body gets pretty ripped.
              "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

              People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Balance View Post
                My 5k times have been getting progressively faster the more sprinting I do and the less jogging I do. And with sprinting your whole body gets pretty ripped.
                oooh, I do hope so, I like the sound of that!!!!!!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by denise View Post
                  and have you found your fitness level is ok for that 10k to still be "easy" and fun?? (I do still want to enjoy my long runs. I plan to begin to put in some miles across the summer so i can enjoy the holiday runs in September.)

                  as for "sprinitng is fun" - well I guess we are just happy masochists?? And of course it's soooo nice when it stops!
                  Well, last year I did absolutely zero training for it, so even just one sprint session a week will be an improvement. But nearer the time I plan to include a few very slow 10ks to get the distance back into my legs. Mark recommends something similar in the PB book.
                  The Primal Journey of Mr and Mrs Fist
                  Blog
                  sigpic

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Primal Fist View Post
                    Well, last year I did absolutely zero training for it, so even just one sprint session a week will be an improvement. But nearer the time I plan to include a few very slow 10ks to get the distance back into my legs. Mark recommends something similar in the PB book.
                    Thanks, thats close to my plan then, gentle longer runs some days in the summer just to get some "miles" back in my legs. Hopefully by then I will have transitioned enough to using fat for fuel so i won't "bonk" on the run! Not tried any distance since cutting carbs right back.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Oh, I remember well being about halfway round a long run (ie the furthest possible distance from home) and having a total carb crash. Horrible. Just be very sure to get enough dietary fat otherwise you likely will 'bonk'.
                      The Primal Journey of Mr and Mrs Fist
                      Blog
                      sigpic

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        ergh, thats what i dread. I have even had that when running on a CW high carb diet a couple of times and its like - well, I can't think what its like. Your brain is still telling your legs to move but they just.....don't. I'll work up my distances slowly, start what i consider to be short, eat fats the night before, maybe even some fruit? (can't eat before exercise it makes me barf) and just experiment. IF I hit that wall, I will just have to slowly walk home!

                        (and yes, it is ALWAYS at the furthest point from home - just like when I fell and broke my ribs on a run)

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Argh, you did what?? Yeesh, that sounds horrendous. Did you have to walk all the way home?
                          The Primal Journey of Mr and Mrs Fist
                          Blog
                          sigpic

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Primal Fist View Post
                            Argh, you did what?? Yeesh, that sounds horrendous. Did you have to walk all the way home?
                            on a long run along canal towpaths and trail, I had successfully missed tripping over tree roots, falling down rabbit holes, truning my ankles on mole hills - all sorts of uneven terrain. Then I got to a bit of flat concrete (a weir) and I guess I let my concentration "go". BAM!! No time to even put my hands out, my knees never made contact with the ground. Only my rather large ribs stopped me hitting the ground with my face and knocking out my teeth!!

                            I knew I had hurt myself a lot. BUT theres a short period of numbness and adrenaline isn't there. SO, I decided to "jog" as long as I could. Which I did. Then I walked. When I literally began to not be able to breathe very well, I slowed more and more til I was at an "old lady with zimmer frame" pace. I was about 4/5 miles from home I guess when i fell? It felt a lot further!

                            Took a while to be able to do ANYTHING again, including rolling over in bed!

                            But I'm ok now Still wary of that weir though!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I saw a similar thread awhile back where someone suggested 100 burpees for an indoor sprint workout and to shoot for less than 8 minutes. That didn't sound too hard, only 12.5 per minute. Soooo, 23:45 later I finished my first attempt. I do it every two weeks or so now.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X