Alternative sprinting ideas.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative sprinting ideas.

This winter has been nasty, actual sprints are completely out of the question for me right now.

I've been doing indoor "sprint" sessions once a week using burpees, but I'm hoping to throw a second weekly sprint in the mix. I could just do more burpees, but I'd feel better mixing things up and rotating with a few different exercises. Anybody have any other good, full-body moves that work well for sprint sessions? Jumping jacks done with enough intensity to qualify as a sprint kill my ankles. I've also tried mountain climbers, but I'm just not feelin' em.

How about HIndu squats?

Comment

burpees and jump squats where you also spread your arms like a stretch
      Biotivia
      Transmax
      BioForge
      BioForge Pro Max Phase II
      BioQuench

Comment

Skip rope. You can also do intervals this way.

Plyometrics. Many of the jumps are really intense.

Gordo

Comment

I've got a single speed road bike on a trainer in the kitchen. I do 90 second sprints standing up and they will wind you.
          Brad

late onset type1 diabetic 4-27-10 @ age 30

Comment

Dance!
            Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
            Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
            Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

Thanks for the ideas.

I LOVE working out with a jump rope. Nice and simple, but gives you a good ass-kicking of a workout. But, I don't really have enough open space in my house for it.

I'll give some of those squat variations a try tomorrow.

Comment

If you want to skip rope in the house but dont have space, I recommend an indoor skipping rope, i got mine from avon believe it or not. Its two handles with rubber balls attached which you spin as though you were spinning the rope to skip. They also come with a plastic skip rope which you can interchange for using outdoors. I had to invest after i took out the lampshade and coffee table after skipping indoors eek!!!

Comment

I'd like to jump into this thread instead of posting a new thread to ask a similar question.

For certain reasons, I cannot do any of this kind of exercises:
                  - running
                  - swimming
                  - cycling
                  - jumping

So I am on the lookout for some high intensity exercise alternatives to sprinting that are very easy on the heating up of the groin area. Any more suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by Piglet View Post
                    So I am on the lookout for some high intensity exercise alternatives to sprinting that are very easy on the heating up of the groin area. Any more suggestions?
                    Tabata anything is your friend here. For "sprints" you need to move your body weight, fast, over a given (albeit short) distance. Whether you are moving your body weight via your own legs, arms (think rowing, pull ups, push ups, body rows, cross-country skiing, swimming, etc.), wheels (bicycle, roller blades). Just about anything you can do to move your body forwards, backwards, sideways, or up (not necessarily down) will work...if you do it quickly enough for bursts of time or distance.
                    Striving to live a life extraordinary.

Comment

I'd like to jump into this thread instead of posting a new thread to ask a similar question.

- running
                      - swimming
                      - cycling
                      - jumping

Have you tried battling ropes? I'm a certified Battling ropes coach and I can tell you that for cardio/sprinting/HIIT you can't beat the ropes. Doing a 30/30 for 30 minutes on the ropes once a week will easily satisfy the "sprinting" portion of your PB workout. The only other thing that comes close is KB swings.

Comment

For me, the next best thing to actual sprinting is kettlebell training

Comment

- running
                          - swimming
                          - cycling
                          - jumping

Swimming heats up the groin? I never knew that. Maybe I shouldn't have spent all that time on the swim team.

Look to upper body sprints. try Australian pull ups at half distance and very fast. You can make anything a sprint if you push hard enough.

Comment

Working...
                          X