Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone interested in the following challenge?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone interested in the following challenge?

To become a U.S. Navy Seal you have to do the following:

 500 meter swim using breast stroke or a modified freestyle (called Combat sidestroke) in 12:30, competitive time of under 10:30
     42 push-ups in two minutes, competitive count of at least 79
     50 sit-ups in two minutes, competitive count of at least 79
     6 consecutive dead hang pull-ups, competitive count of at least 11
     1.5 mile run in “boots and trousers”in under 11:30, competitive time of under 10:20

I don't want to start this until about April when the weather breaks up here.

The objective is to improve your own score. Around the first of April we post our base line and sometime in June we call it quits and post our final gains.

I think it would be fun if we post our planned method of training and how we adapt and bounce ideas off of each other. We can use between now and to set up thoughts on the challenge.

I'm in.
    Sandbag Training For MMA & Combat Sports
    Sandbag Training Guide on Kindle
    The Complete Guide To Sandbag Training
    Brute Force Sandbags
    www.facebook.com/sandbagfitness
    http://fitedia.com/ - Health and Fitness eBooks, video, audio and workshops

Comment

You just want to see me do the pull ups.

Comment

easy breezy- but I`m not putting on boots

Comment

I'm in, but couple clarifications - no running in combat boots, I ain't buying them. Does this all happen on the same day / consecutively, or what ?
          "competitive count" - means to have a shot you actually need 79 pushups in 2 min, or you need to get them done in 79 sec?
          Let's say first week of April till June 30, you can spread the test out over 24 hrs max. That actually fits my own fitness goals really well. Nice post vick!
          If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

Originally posted by tfarny View Post
            I'm in, but couple clarifications - no running in combat boots, I ain't buying them. Does this all happen on the same day / consecutively, or what ?
            "competitive count" - means to have a shot you actually need 79 pushups in 2 min, or you need to get them done in 79 sec?
            Let's say first week of April till June 30, you can spread the test out over 24 hrs max. That actually fits my own fitness goals really well. Nice post vick!
            Since we are competing with ourselves... maybe we can set our own tests. To be honest, I'm more interested in the sharing of the training and the diet during the program. It will be nice to see you and I working together instead of bashing heads... our ratings will be way down you know.

Comment

Originally posted by slowcooker View Post
              easy breezy- but I`m not putting on boots
              I just noticed your location. I'm about an hour south west of hogtown.

Comment

Originally posted by Vick View Post
                Since we are competing with ourselves... maybe we can set our own tests. To be honest, I'm more interested in the sharing of the training and the diet during the program. It will be nice to see you and I working together instead of bashing heads... our ratings will be way down you know.
                That's fine, and I agree, it's nice to remember we all have the same basic goals. To qualify into the Navy SEAL program in middle age! A year ago my goals were: lose 15 lb and be able to do 20 pushups. My, how times change!
                If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

I turn 55 in June. For me to qualify is one hell of a birthday present. It is the 6 chin ups that scare me.

Comment

Then you are not too far from me. I`m in Burlington. I know a great cow farmer out your way.

Comment

I'm in Brantford. I've a nice farmer for grass fed beef, bison, venison and elk.

Comment

I think all those goals are pretty easily attainable except the running in the boots part. I remember my brother running in his boots a few years ago ripping his achiles tendon and he was using a cane for months. And running 1.5 miles in 11:30 isn't super easy either. I have a neighbor who runs 3 times a week and he was just recently able to break a 10 minute mile (He normally runs 3 miles total). I know a few people who can't break 10 minute miles on their jogs, and doing 1.5 in 11:30 would be hard for them. But then again its only 1.5 miles so it will be a lot easier to max out, as my friends go a lot longer than that.
                        "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Comment

Where did these requirements come from? I know there are a lot more things seal recruits go through than this, but if this is some kind of test they have to pass I am pretty amazed because any moderate level athlete would breeze through this and be ready for round 2. Either way, it's a great goal for many people to set for themselves, I just imagined seal requirements would be higher.

Comment

I agree, they don't look very tough at all for a fit young guy, but they are a lot harder than Army PT requirements. It is kind of shocking that, say, a wounded soldier carry or a rope climb or a full-gear sprint are not part of the test. I'm sure this is just one minimum standard and there are mental tests, etc. Actually, you could probably pass this test and still be too weak to carry a wounded buddy off the field.

Comment

Originally posted by tfarny View Post
                              I agree, they don't look very tough at all for a fit young guy, but they are a lot harder than Army PT requirements. It is kind of shocking that, say, a wounded soldier carry or a rope climb or a full-gear sprint are not part of the test. I'm sure this is just one minimum standard and there are mental tests, etc. Actually, you could probably pass this test and still be too weak to carry a wounded buddy off the field.
                              They should do Murph with a 20# weighted vest as the entry exam!
                              For time:
                              1 mile Run
                              100 Pull-ups
                              200 Push-ups
                              300 Squats
                              1 mile Run

WORST WORKOUT IN THE WORLD!

Okay, not really, but it freaking sucks.

edit:
                              I forgot my content! Once my knee heals, I plan on doing the seal entry stuff and recording my times. I'd like to know where I stand out of sheer curiosity.

Comment

Working...
                              X