The Best Bodyweight Exercise You're (probably) Not Doing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Best Bodyweight Exercise You're (probably) Not Doing

Hey Guys - I just posted a new blog about an often overlooked bodyweight exercise: the back bridge. Feel free to leave any comments or questions for me on my blog.
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

sigpic

Perusing through a friends Bikram Yoga book a few weeks back the 2nd movement is to lean over backwards which I found to be somewhat difficult to say the least. I've never practiced bending over backwards, and I have been looking for ways to improve my ability to do this. I think these exercises will be a great way for me to work me up to that level.

Thanks.

Comment

Back bridges just feel so great. I love that nice full stretch you get through the rib cage and abs!

Last summer I randomly decided to work on "kickovers" from the back bridge. Not sure what made me think to try them, but it just seemed like a cool skill to learn. They were a LOT more challenging than I expected! It took me a good 2-3 weeks of solid work to get them. Anyway, it was a lot a fun and an amazing ab workout at the same time -- just a suggestion for anyone who has back bridges down and wants to take things a step further!

Comment

Originally posted by Grok View Post
        Perusing through a friends Bikram Yoga book a few weeks back the 2nd movement is to lean over backwards which I found to be somewhat difficult to say the least. I've never practiced bending over backwards, and I have been looking for ways to improve my ability to do this. I think these exercises will be a great way for me to work me up to that level.

Thanks.
        Yeah bridges are harder than they look!

Glad you found this post helpful. Keep training hard!

Originally posted by ciep View Post
        Back bridges just feel so great. I love that nice full stretch you get through the rib cage and abs!

Last summer I randomly decided to work on "kickovers" from the back bridge. Not sure what made me think to try them, but it just seemed like a cool skill to learn. They were a LOT more challenging than I expected! It took me a good 2-3 weeks of solid work to get them. Anyway, it was a lot a fun and an amazing ab workout at the same time -- just a suggestion for anyone who has back bridges down and wants to take things a step further!
        Nice - kick-overs and walk-overs are really hard! I can't do one yet, but maybe one day!
        "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for posting this, I think I'll try it out today.

Comment

I remember doing bridges all the time in gym class in elementary school in the early 80's. I loved doing them. Between that and the crab walk was wicked fun. I'm gong to start working on those this weekend. Thanks Al!
            Georgette

Comment

Originally posted by Enamel View Post
              Thanks for posting this, I think I'll try it out today.
              Right on!

Originally posted by geostump View Post
              I remember doing bridges all the time in gym class in elementary school in the early 80's. I loved doing them. Between that and the crab walk was wicked fun. I'm gong to start working on those this weekend. Thanks Al!
              You got it! And of course the best part for you is...you can do these from home!

sigpic

Comment

Don't forget bridge "walks"; moving while in the bridge position! (I can go a couple of feet before my arms give out on me!)

Comment

I do bridges all the time. We spend so much of our lives sitting, bending forward and not enough time correcting that imbalance.

As Al stated, if you havent done them before go gently....full bridge can HURT a tight spine and the location of the adrenal glands means they can be activated during this pose if there is stress there.

Can I suggest if you are having a hard time with full bridge another good couple of transitional exercises....I do these as a warm up to full bridge each time

Warm up with cobra pose, then start the stretch with Camel or bow pose

If you are really tight in the back...and many people all, doing a bridge over a stability ball as a warmup stretch is a gentle way to move the back.
                  MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

Comment

your idea of fun is distinctly different from my idea of fun. crab walks were the devil
                    I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

Comment

Originally posted by runnergal View Post
                      If you are really tight in the back...and many people all, doing a bridge over a stability ball as a warmup stretch is a gentle way to move the back.
                      Definitely a good idea to try the easier moves Al outlined rather than just going for it (especially if you haven't done one in awhile..) As pointed out, there are some potential dangers to back bridges:
                      http://www.livestrong.com/article/17...dge-exercises/
                      --
                      http://runningwithdummies.tumblr.com/

Comment

Originally posted by federkeil View Post
                        your idea of fun is distinctly different from my idea of fun. crab walks were the devil
                        They were easy when I was 8. I can't do the crab walk now. It's funny seeing my 10 yr old daughter doing the crab walk around the house. Now at almost 35, I can barely bend even the slightest bit backwards. I should have my bro-in-law, the paramedic their just in case I injure myself.
                        Georgette

Comment

Good stuff as always, Al. I'd like to add something to the commentary on the full bridge, though: when in position, it's really beneficial to activate the lower abdominals, if not all of them. The backbend pushes the internal organs against the abdominal wall, and this keeps them in place as well as being somewhat protective of the lower back as well.

Comment

Funny, I always thought of this as a stretch, not a bodyweight exercise. Thanks for the different perspective, Al!
                            Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
                            Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
                            Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

They were easy when I was 8. I can't do the crab walk now.
                              I recently tried the crab walk for the first time since elementary school. (A friend came to visit and we were challenging each other to weird races up and down the hallway for fun... there *might* have been alcohol involved.) It was SO HARD compared to how I remembered it, lol. My poor triceps. I couldn't even make it all the way across my living room!
                              "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

Comment

Working...
                              X