Chronic...weight training?!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chronic...weight training?!

Ok so there are alot of comments about how bad chronic cardio is, but what about chronic weight training? Can we train full-body daily? Construction workers do, sorta, right?

There's always such a thing as over training

Gotta give them muscles some rest man

Comment

Oh my, I wouldn't even dare weight train every day. My muscles are so sore the next day, I end up doing weights every 3rd day.

Comment

I just lift heavy 3x a week

Plus a circuit 1 day a week

Doing more than 4x a week is a bit harsh on your body, plus muscle growth needs recovery time or it ain't happening since lifting is essentially breaking your muscles, then you need to recover so they can grow bigger

Comment

You don't want to work the same muscle group more then once every

seven days. Your muscles need time to repair the micro-tears resistance

traning creates.

Comment

Raises cortisol levels. Not good.

Comment

Crossfit does 3 days on and 1 off. this isn't strength training per se but it does involve lifting heavy weights. Most Power Lifting and Olympic Lifting programs advocate several rest days a week.

Rest and be lazy sometimes

Comment

If you can lift a heavier weight the next time you are in the gym, you are not over training. If you can't... you are. You need time to release the toxins created by the heavy work out so your muscles can heal and grow.

Straia only works one body group per month. That is the result of intense lifting.

Comment

Whoa, thank you all for the comments...unfortunately I should've logged in earlier... trained again...I realize I have a 24 hour gap between workouts...still not enough time to recover I guess? I also drink 5 gallons+ of water a day, doesn't that help with ketone utilization?

I also read studies that says high-fat diets increase skeletal muscle mitochondria...maybe I'm using fat?

http://www.pnas.org/content/105/22/7815.short

http://www.fasebj.org/cgi/content/meeting_abstract/22/1_MeetingAbstracts/1164.2

I'm gonna lock the weight room starting tom...

Comment

I would say five gallons of water a day is excessive and perhaps harmful...though I don't have any research to back it up.

I train my entire body (1 exercise per muscle group) three times per week, then on the days in between (2) I do some cardio for 30 min. Then I take two complete days off (Sat and Sun) before starting again.

I am completing the program from "Sculpting Her Body Perfect". It is basically a 9-month long program (at least) that moves you from body conditioning to body sculpting. I'm still at the beginning, about one month in.

Comment

"Ok so there are a lot of comments about how bad chronic cardio is, but what about chronic weight training? Can we train full-body daily? Construction workers do, sorta, right?"

What is the goal?

If you mean:

-Can we lift heavy for all body parts every day?

Sure, if you want to injure yourself. Each muscle group (when lifting heavy) needs it's time to heal/rest before going strong again. If you lifted heavy every day for all muscle groups, your strength gains would fall off, and your injuries would play a huge role in that. The most productive muscle-building happens in your sleep, not at the weight pile.

Construction workers use specific muscle groups depending on the job they do. But like any other (repetitive) job, I'd say that they don't all utilize muscle confusion, which is key for gaining muscle and burning calories.

Again, what would be the goal for "chronic weight training?

Even the pros don't work every body part every day.

Comment

Some great responses so far. I'll just note that Mark discusses this topic in the book (pp. 180-185) and here http://www.marksdailyapple.com/training-rest-periods/

You got the idea though - rest is important. You don't get better while you're training. Improvement comes during rest between sessions.

Comment

Muscle builds during rest. Lifting every day is counterproductive.

I do 3-on, 1-off cycles:

Day 1: Heavy lifting (low reps, high weight)

Day 2: HIIT (hill sprints or escalating quarters)

Day 3: Muscle endurance (high reps, low weight)

Day 4: Rest/play

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Comment

FIVE gallons of water a day? I'm surprised you aren't dead. Seriously. People have died from less than that due to electrolyte imbalances and deficiencies. I love water and even in summer in CO w/o AC I was doing +/- 1 a gallon a day. Add another 1/2 gallon if I was doing hard manual labor, and it's still 3.5 less than what you are forcing yourself to drink.

(That's FORTY glasses a day. I bit above the Urban Legend of 8 a day.)

Comment

I think I got the metrics wrong...5 Litres heheh...about a gallon give or take :

Got it, I have to lock the weight room...immediately. I just read an article here about a year ago "endorphin mainline" ~ I think I got hooked...

Comment

Working...
                              X