Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am I Allergic to Exercise/Sprinting?!?!?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last winter, my wife went through the same type of issue. She actually went into anaphylaxis after a workout. If she hadn't used an epipen, she would have died. Seriously.

Here's the good news...she went to an allergist, and after months of journaling and testing, they detirmined that she has histimine intolerance. Stuff like tomatoes, red wine and chocolate would agravate her system, and then when she got her heart rate/body temp up, it was just to much. She got all of that under control, and is working out like a maniac again.

It's not just you. Get yourself a good allergist, and don't get discouraged.

Comment

"Just because it may have an emotional cause, doesn't make it any less real." - I'm sorry, I didn't mean disrespect to emotional concerns! I definitely recognize the validity and seriousness of emotional stresses/disorders are just as serious as physiological ones!"

One more thing, the ER nurses tried to tell my wife she was having a paniac attack, and that the problem was all in her head. Typical of CW to try and write off any conditions that the pharma reps have not told them exist. Never hesitate to advocate for better treatment options.

Comment

i would say that, too, if you are happy with what you are doing, then go ahead and continue with it.

i mean, astanga prepped me for long hikes. I was doing astanga and/or power vinyasa yoga about 4-5 classes a week (at 1.5 hrs each) plus my normal walking, and when we went to hike the upper part of the AT, i was kicking butt. the boys were all like "you need to get into shape like us!" which was mostly lifting and going on easy hikes near where we lived. and i was like "you need to do more yoga." and i was 1. not sore after 14 hours straight of hiking (seriously, i think we stopped for two breaks and i didn't eat on either of them-- just had water and hiked); and 2. i was out in front and not wheezing the whole time like they were. LOL

so, i think that you have appropriate substitutions -- plenty of activity, plenty of things that work for you -- so it doesn't have to be specific to this plan.

i'm not saying don't do anything about the allergy, but i am saying that even if you do, and you can do a 5k or sprints or whatever, you don't have to.

Comment

For what it's worth, ashtanga yoga, martial arts, swimming, and lifting sounds like a pretty good exercise regime to me. I used to have exercise-induced asthma (which should really be called cardio-induced asthma, or something like that), and tae kwon do would get intense enough to trigger an attack once in a while. So you do get spurts of intense exercise, even though you're not actively outrunning a sabre-tooth tiger.

Also, have you tried sprinting in the pool? You get a flotation belt and mimic the action of running while upright in the pool in deep water. It's lesser-impact than actual running, so I used to use it to keep in running shape while recovering from an injury. And since just pool-running is phenomenally boring, I would add "sprinting" intervals to most of my pool workouts. It might be close enough to swimming to not cause you problems. And if you do feel poorly, you don't move very far very quickly, so you can stick close to the edge until you're sure you're not going to freak out and drown.

Comment

Working...
          X