Newbie: What's the deal with jogging?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie: What's the deal with jogging?

Okay I wanted to ask you more experienced PBFs out there...I've always enjoyed going for short runs (20-30 minutes) 1-3 a week. However I understand the physical reactions to getting my heart rate about 75% at a sustained pace. Has anyone who enjoys jogging/running found something that works for them that fits within the PBF framework? Jogging at a slower pace, jogging less oftern, etc.? I'd love to know!
    "There are no limits. There are only plateaus."
    - Bruce Lee

To add to this in the PBF eBook Mark says "Once in a while it can be beneficial to exceed your 75% limit for a sustained workout." What does "once in a while" mean? Once a week? When you feel like it?
    - Bruce Lee

Comment

I go for a long run a week (3 miles)... it's fine. That's not chronic.

Comment

I'm all for jogging! Throw in some sprints (or longer "threshold runs") once every week or two and you're set.
        "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

sigpic

Comment

As an avid trail runner that is going primal I'm also curious about this. I'll do a 5 - 10 mile run once a week that takes between one and two hours depending upon the trail. I've done some calculations and determined that 75% of my maximum heart rate is around 135 - 140; I wear a heart rate/footpod watch and usually average around this for the entire run. Sometimes higher spikes, sometimes lower stretches.

So, I'm guessing this is all good.

Comment

I still jog once or twice a week. Sometimes I'll either throw a sprint in the middle or a walk during the jog just to keep my heart "guessing."
            Jogging for me is like yoga for others. It centers my mind and relaxes me. I think the chronic cardio Mark speaks of is geared more towards marathoners etc. A couple of times a week should be fine.
            Good luck!

Comment

The whole chronic cardio thing is a gray area, mostly because it's hard to define what chronic cardio is with any sort of consensus, since for some active people jogging 4-5 miles is a warm-up to lifting or what-have-you but for less active people (or those like me that just don't love to jog unless I'm chasing after a ball or something) 5 miles seems like "too much".

The way I figure it, if the ONLY reason why you're jogging is because you think that's the ONLY way you're going to lose weight, that's chronic cardio. That literally was me just a year ago, I would set out on daily 3-5 mile jogs in the morning, monday through friday without fail for about two months before I stopped because I was still as tubby as I was and I hated the jogging. That was right around the time I found MDA and the rest is history.

If, like Clint W said, jogging is something that relaxes you and you understand that you're not doing just for weight loss purposes, then more power to you, especially if you space out your runs and aren't hitting the pavement every single day and dreading it every time.

Running in general is a great workout, but like any other great workout it should be done moderately, I just see way too many folks sweating it out at any random time of the day (veeeery early in the morning is what creeps me out the most, go to sleep) and I often wonder if they know there's other things they could be doing to improve their body composition, both in diet and exercise. I'd say 80% of the time they are going along with CW.

Bit off topic but, has anyone else noticed that in most commercials for "healthy" food, people are always jogging? I can't remember a recent commercial in which somebody was lifting a heavy weight or anything like that, unless the commercial was specifically geared towards that audience. Most Kashi or cereal commecials are about jogging or something similar...
              I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

My two cents: It doesn't make a bit of difference in the long run. If you feel like jogging then jog. If I feel like having one of my mums' chocolate chip cupcakes then I'll have one. Don't sweat the small stuff.
                Here's my resolve.

Comment

Great post Iniquity

Comment

Thanks everyone this helps a lot! I definitely run because, like Clint W, jogging to me is like yoga to others. And I usually do a trail run that has hills and I'll do sprints or longer thrush-hold runs sometimes.

Also like Mattman said, this is why I love the PB...don't sweat the small the because that leads to burnout both on diet and exercise.
                    - Bruce Lee

Comment

Originally posted by aswimmy View Post
                      Okay I wanted to ask you more experienced PBFs out there...I've always enjoyed going for short runs (20-30 minutes) 1-3 a week. However I understand the physical reactions to getting my heart rate about 75% at a sustained pace. Has anyone who enjoys jogging/running found something that works for them that fits within the PBF framework? Jogging at a slower pace, jogging less oftern, etc.? I'd love to know!
                      Twenty-thirty minutes, three times a week, keeping it slightly slower than 75%. Also do a set of eight full out sprints two or three times a week.
                      Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Comment

Runner here as well..... short runs 3 miles or less a few times a week. or a 1 mile warm up run on the TM before lifting. 1 sprint session every other week, keeps me humming along.... It's the soul draining 60+ minute workouts on an arc trainer or eliptical would be deemed chronic..... especially every single day like I see all the dummies in the gym doing whose bodies have not changed in 2 years......

Comment

It's the combination of intensity, length, and frequency: running at a medium-intensity for a sustained period is stressful to the body, but so is lifting weights. Done at a proper frequency (depending on intensity and length, the greater the two are, the lower the frequency) it causes the body to adapt, becoming stronger. Done too much, you never give the body a chance to heal but instead keep it in a state of chronic inflammation -- not good.

Comment

Originally posted by PrincessGrok View Post
                            Runner here as well..... short runs 3 miles or less a few times a week. or a 1 mile warm up run on the TM before lifting. 1 sprint session every other week, keeps me humming along.... It's the soul draining 60+ minute workouts on an arc trainer or eliptical would be deemed chronic..... especially every single day like I see all the dummies in the gym doing whose bodies have not changed in 2 years......
                            I actually struggle with this. We're supposed to move slowly 3-5 hours a week, yet discourage long sessions on a particular device/machine. I do 40-45 minutes on the arc or elliptical with heart rate never going above 75%, and I don't mind spending that amount of time...

Comment

As a newbie, I'm reading and trying to soak in the primal lifestyle and I struggle with this portion of it as well. However, I'm not out running trails to primarily get into shape, I do it because as an earlier poster mentioned it's an enjoyable escape. Keep in mind that I use the term "running" loosely because there's a ton of walking on the uphills.

Comment

Working...
                              X