Snow Grok Exercises

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snow Grok Exercises

I live in the Northeast and was hit with 2-3 feet of snow! I hate being indoors so I still did my workout outside although it took an hour.

This is what I did tell me what you think or any suggestions for Groking out in the snow. The entire work out I carried a heavy duty backpack with small free weights unevenly distributed for a total of 25 pounds.

Basically I alternated between walking and sprinting the entire time through uneven snow drifts. Brrrr.

I also alternated how I carried the weighted back pack during the walk/sprints such as:
    Traditional School Bag style
    One Handed on top of Right/Left Shoulder
    Gripping the ends out in front and away from my body
    Close to my body balanced on forearms
    Lifted over my head
    Held tightly to my chest

Then....
    3 sets of 12 Squats in the snow holding the backpack to my chest.
    10 times Throwing the backpack both in front and behind me

I also did some shoveling but I'm not counting that.

Any other ideas for deep snow? Honestly just trying to walk through it over small hills got my heart-rate up.

Thanks!
    Silly rabbit, grains are for birds.

Awesome! I wish I'd thought of that!!

My husband and I took a four mile walk through the snow (which took way longer than normal!). I sprinted through some of the driftier bits. I did practice some muay thai clinching techniques on my husband, dropped him into the snowbanks a few times. He did not like this, but I have mad skillz, and was able to withstand his counterattacks.

The walk took almost two hours, and my legs and butt were pretty tired by the end.

Comment

Thanks Frances! I'll still be off from work tomorrow maybe I'll try a walk with the backpack for a couple hours because I was so bored today.

Haha sounds like your husband has some practicing to do!

Comment

Shoveling. Seriously. I know you didn't count it, but digging a car out of waist-deep snow is a hell of a workout on the legs and shoulders.

Comment

Two cars! I did my elderly neighbor's as well. I think if most people are home from work again tomorrow I'll stick to shoveling. Pretty sure I freaked out my neighbors throwing a backpack around while wearing ski goggles and dragging a shovel behind me.

Comment

Originally posted by LaurenKM View Post
            Two cars! I did my elderly neighbor's as well. I think if most people are home from work again tomorrow I'll stick to shoveling. Pretty sure I freaked out my neighbors throwing a backpack around while wearing ski goggles and dragging a shovel behind me.
            Good on you, being all neighborly. I would imagine if you're shoveling them out, your neighbors would probably overlook the backpack tossing.

Comment

Hopefully!

Comment

After just two months of PB eTing and fitness I have noticed that shoveling my driveway is not nearly the workout that it was last year. I already have so much more strength - especially in my core.

Comment

that sounds like a really good workout. doing anything in the snow makes it harder.
                  i agree about shoveling...you're using a ton of different muscles.
                  i also think that building a snow man could be a really primal exercise. you grok crawl to get a good sized snowball moving, you push around a ton of weight (make it a big snowman), and then you lift a bunch of weight. this also doubles as playing, which is key.
                  http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

Originally posted by skline2 View Post
                    After just two months of PB eTing and fitness I have noticed that shoveling my driveway is not nearly the workout that it was last year. I already have so much more strength - especially in my core.

That's great progress already. I really need more exercises to strengthen my core I guess anything that uses my whole body would do that though.

Comment

Originally posted by primalrob View Post
                      that sounds like a really good workout. doing anything in the snow makes it harder.
                      i agree about shoveling...you're using a ton of different muscles.
                      i also think that building a snow man could be a really primal exercise. you grok crawl to get a good sized snowball moving, you push around a ton of weight (make it a big snowman), and then you lift a bunch of weight. this also doubles as playing, which is key.

I have off the rest of the week. Looks like I'll be doing some shoveling and snowman making!

Comment

Lauren - I am amazed at how just five simple exercises (the PB ones) work my entire body, which means the core has tone working a lot in all of them. I have never really lifted weights or anything and sporadically did cardio. My main exercise has always been playing golf while walking and carrying my bag. For those that don't know a golf course is about a five mile walk and a golf bag weighs anywhere from 20-40 pounds. (i have done trips where I play 11 rounds of golf in 6 days.) Weather permitting I do this twice a week on a very hilly golf course. What surprised me about the PB exercises, especially the side planks is how much stronger the core muscles on my left side are. As a right handed golfer I pull through the swing with my left hip.

Comment

In the spring you mulch your own garden. I need about 10 cubic yards of mulch - it is the size of my car in my driveway. That's a lot of work with a pitchfork.

Comment

Sprinting in the snow or sprinting in waist deep water is a whole new feeling.... having to use muscles to pull your legs up is killer.

Comment

Originally posted by skline2 View Post
                              Lauren - I am amazed at how just five simple exercises (the PB ones) work my entire body, which means the core has tone working a lot in all of them. I have never really lifted weights or anything and sporadically did cardio. My main exercise has always been playing golf while walking and carrying my bag. For those that don't know a golf course is about a five mile walk and a golf bag weighs anywhere from 20-40 pounds. (i have done trips where I play 11 rounds of golf in 6 days.) Weather permitting I do this twice a week on a very hilly golf course. What surprised me about the PB exercises, especially the side planks is how much stronger the core muscles on my left side are. As a right handed golfer I pull through the swing with my left hip.
                              Yes I totally agree that the PB exercises are not only effective but they are fun so people are more likely to do them consistently. I used to work as a Sales Counselor at a Fitness center that was partially funded by a research hospital so almost all of our trainers had Bachelor Degrees in exercise science and other related disciplines. I used to be a slave to the gym and never felt this good (I did intense cardio 6 days a week with some short weight lifting sessions maybe twice a week). I was in decent shape but had little muscle tone and followed a low fat, moderate carb diet (I also ate very little protein) and was miserable and hungry all the time.

As far as the garden I live in a condo so no luck there

Comment

Working...
                              X