Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What can I do?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Noctiluca View Post
    I like to say there is no such thing as bad weather, there is just being dressed wrong for it!
    So just make sure you layer up so you can shed or add layers as needed and head outside! ENJOY the crisp air! Play in the snow. Watch the frost glisten on the trees. Find the magic in the moisture freezing out of the very air so that even the AIR is sparkly. Laugh and make Calvin and Hobbs faces when your boogers freeze. There is no reason to be afraid of the cold!

    Oh. And you might try snowshoeing too! Just about as simple as walking but a good way to get out in the snow and get a good workout going!
    I learned a long time ago to enjoy even love the magic of winter. It is beautiful. I decided that if I'm going to live here, I better enjoy it.

    That being said. We are heading for the dead of winter and there will be days when our high won't even hit zero for the day. (Tomorrow is actually forecast for that already.) That will usually be joined by a wind chill factor that will make it feel it is -30 or -40. We can stay there for days at a time. When the weather is like that it is dangerous to spend extended periods outdoors. I'm just trying to be practical and think ahead for when we are in the deep freeze and I can't exercise outside for a week.

    I've always wanted to try snowshoeing but I haven't thought I could do it. Maybe this year I'll try it. There must be someplace I can rent a pair in the area.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by TigerLily View Post
      Shoveling snow/clearing walkways! And because you're such a great neighbor, do theirs too.

      Chopping wood! It doesn't even need to be actual wood -- just go through the motion. The reverse of that movement -- called the reverse ax -- is one my physical therapist has me do. Oh yeah, you'll get buff!
      Last time it snowed, I asked my husband to let me do some of the shoveling. He didn't. Next time I'll just have to beat him to the task. :-D

      I love the idea of chopping wood, except I want to actually do it. I can definitely find some wood to chop.

      Comment


      • #18
        Walking is great and is how I lost alot of weight a couple of years ago. Don't get discouraged during the winter. Inclement weather and longer nights may be a deterrent for some. Take it slow and easy at first increasing your distance over time. Snowshoeing is great too and a beginner pair for trekking on easy trails in local are fine to start with. Treadmill indoors may be boring but is also an option to supplement walking outside. Walking up hills and stairs are great. Stick with it and when the weather gets better there are better options and real fun begins

        Comment


        • #19
          I am an older woman who is very obese too. I'm just starting to walk due to old and newer injuries. As you have stairs you can do step exercises on the bottom two steps, just one up and back down, changing the leading foot eery so often. When your muscles start to tighten up or you feel breathless, then you've done enough.

          In our house I'm lucky, I can do a loop, but then, our climate is mild and sub-tropical so the only thing to stop me walking outside is rain.
          Odille
          F 58 / 170cms / SW 131.5 kgs / Current 112.4/ GW 65
          following Primal Lifestyle and swimming my way to health

          My Primal Blog / Photo Blog / RedBubble shop / My Calendars / My Facebook

          Comment


          • #20
            If the weather is truly nasty outside, you can also do some bodyweight exercises - and you get more work if you have more to lose LOL.

            Here's a routine I like, which is exhausting, and for which you drive the pace:

            6 exercises, done for 30 sec each, alternating body area emphasis (so the round of exercises totals 3 minutes)
            1. squats (air squats) - work with your limits until you can get the crease of your hips below your knees
            2. pushups (Mark's PB Fitness - FREE!! - has a fine progression if you can't do "real" pushups)
            3. lunges
            4. pullups (or any pulling exercise - lift something heavy from down to up)
            5. twists
            6. get-ups (get down to the floor and get up from the floor - very good for flexibility)
            rest 1 minute
            repeat the cycle 2 more times (4 if you're a real stud)

            These are example exercises, and lots of variations are possible. The point to do as much as you can of that exercise for 30 seconds and immediately start the next exercise. I have a countdown timer on my watch, and I set it for 32 seconds with a repeat (giving me 2 seconds to change positions, if necessary). Pick exercises you can do, some easier than others.

            Mix something like that in with your walking, and I think you'll find (after the soreness abates) that the feeling of strength and being capable of movement is astonishing. And addictive.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Annlee View Post
              If the weather is truly nasty outside, you can also do some bodyweight exercises - and you get more work if you have more to lose LOL.

              Here's a routine I like, which is exhausting, and for which you drive the pace:

              6 exercises, done for 30 sec each, alternating body area emphasis (so the round of exercises totals 3 minutes)
              1. squats (air squats) - work with your limits until you can get the crease of your hips below your knees
              2. pushups (Mark's PB Fitness - FREE!! - has a fine progression if you can't do "real" pushups)
              3. lunges
              4. pullups (or any pulling exercise - lift something heavy from down to up)
              5. twists
              6. get-ups (get down to the floor and get up from the floor - very good for flexibility)
              rest 1 minute
              repeat the cycle 2 more times (4 if you're a real stud)

              These are example exercises, and lots of variations are possible. The point to do as much as you can of that exercise for 30 seconds and immediately start the next exercise. I have a countdown timer on my watch, and I set it for 32 seconds with a repeat (giving me 2 seconds to change positions, if necessary). Pick exercises you can do, some easier than others.

              Mix something like that in with your walking, and I think you'll find (after the soreness abates) that the feeling of strength and being capable of movement is astonishing. And addictive.

              Wow! Thank you very much.

              I looked through Mark's fitness information last night. I am very impressed with the amount of information he gives us. I will start incorporating these moves into our routine.

              Comment


              • #22
                http://rosstraining.com/blog/2010/09...-loss-journey/

                We're not huge fans of endurance events around here but I thought this video was worth sharing in this case...

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by arthurb999 View Post
                  http://rosstraining.com/blog/2010/09...-loss-journey/

                  We're not huge fans of endurance events around here but I thought this video was worth sharing in this case...
                  That made me cry. Very inspirational, I'm going to save that link and refer to it often.

                  Thank you for sharing.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    That video brought a tear to my eye.

                    FeelingBetterAlready: Have you seen Mark Sisson's blog entry from yesterday (Friday)? If not, you'd better go look. I spit my food at the computer screen when I saw the after photos. Was NOT expecting what I saw.
                    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      You may not be there yet, but you're closer than you were yesterday. A year of hard work later... you're there.
                      It's that simple.

                      Welcome to the Primal Blueprint.

                      -Arthur

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by arthurb999 View Post
                        You may not be there yet, but you're closer than you were yesterday. A year of hard work later... you're there.
                        It's that simple.

                        Welcome to the Primal Blueprint.

                        -Arthur

                        Arthur, thank you for the encouragement. It means a lot.

                        TigerLily: Thank you also for pointing out Mark's blog. I hadn't read it. I'm glad I did. When I read she started in May of this year - OMG that's truly AMAZING!!!

                        My husband and I have decided for the next 30 days we are going to walk/ski every day for a minimum of 15 minutes. We'll cross the days off on the calendar that we've actually done that. We will probably incorporate some of the Mark's PB body weight exercises too. We're just determined to get moving.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Hey, FBA, not sure if this would be too much for someone your size but I figure I'd post it anyway:



                          These are all the Level 1 progressions of a program called Convict Conditioning. It's a strictly bodyweight program.

                          The steps you and your husband can most definitely start with right away are the top left and top right corners. Wall push-ups and wall pull-ups (or rows) respectively. Both of these are low impact but done in higher rep ranges will start to develop strength in your arms, shoulders, chest, back and core. All the others can be a bit much. The top middle exercise I wouldn't recommend, but it's the precursor to doing squats so maybe start with half-squats, lower yourself only halfway then stand up. I think you should also be able to do the bottom left and bottom middle movements. Bottom right is tough even for me and I'm pretty light. Holding a headstand is harder than it looks, I can hold a handstand better, which makes no sense to me.

                          Good luck! and be careful of course. You can follow the youtube link to level 2, 3 and so on... If you need detailed explanations on any just ask or send me a PM.
                          I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            You can buy a cheap or used treadmill or elliptical machine to use when the weather elements are bad. You can add resistance training by using your own body weight with squats, planks, pushups. And you can use resistance bands/cords that are pretty cheap to buy and use it for hundreds of different exercises. You can also skip some rope. There are tons of activity you can do in your home even with limited space on bad weather days. Good luck!
                            "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

                            People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by iniQuity View Post
                              Hey, FBA, not sure if this would be too much for someone your size but I figure I'd post it anyway:

                              These are all the Level 1 progressions of a program called Convict Conditioning. It's a strictly bodyweight program.

                              The steps you and your husband can most definitely start with right away are the top left and top right corners. Wall push-ups and wall pull-ups (or rows) respectively. Both of these are low impact but done in higher rep ranges will start to develop strength in your arms, shoulders, chest, back and core. All the others can be a bit much. The top middle exercise I wouldn't recommend, but it's the precursor to doing squats so maybe start with half-squats, lower yourself only halfway then stand up. I think you should also be able to do the bottom left and bottom middle movements. Bottom right is tough even for me and I'm pretty light. Holding a headstand is harder than it looks, I can hold a handstand better, which makes no sense to me.

                              Good luck! and be careful of course. You can follow the youtube link to level 2, 3 and so on... If you need detailed explanations on any just ask or send me a PM.

                              Hey iniQuity- Thanks for the video. I can definitely do the wall push-ups/pull-ups and the bottom middle. (Our chiropractor actually recommended that exercise to my husband to strengthen his back.) The bottom left will be difficult for me but I'll do the best I can. How many reps/sets should we shoot for? Just go until we can't do it anymore?

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by Balance View Post
                                You can buy a cheap or used treadmill or elliptical machine to use when the weather elements are bad. You can add resistance training by using your own body weight with squats, planks, pushups. And you can use resistance bands/cords that are pretty cheap to buy and use it for hundreds of different exercises. You can also skip some rope. There are tons of activity you can do in your home even with limited space on bad weather days. Good luck!
                                Ironically, I had a treadmill years ago and sold it. (I moved out of state and didn't want to drag it with me. I should have hung on to it.) I'll look into the resistance bands. I imagine there will be exercise instructions with those so I know what to do with them.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X