Primal Workout - weight lifting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primal Workout - weight lifting

My workouts include weight-training w/ dumb-bells (a pair of 10 lb) 2 times a week, squats, stroll for 1/2 an hour whenever I can, sprint once a week and a long walk usually on the weekends. I would like to include more Primal workouts and lift heavy weights. What is the right way to do it? I have membership to a well-equipped gym that I rarely use (it's a family membership and the hub uses it). If I want to start proper weight-training, would I need a trainer? Any tips on lifting weights would be greatly appreciated.

What do you mean by "proper weightlifting"? I consider heavy lifting doing exercises like deadlifts or power cleans, which can be really dangerous if you don't know how to do them properly. I would suggest getting a trainer if you wanted to try these, since you'll be lifting a LOT of weight and can easily hurt yourself.

Some days I'll just find heavy things in my yard and lift them (controlled and with a straight back!), lug them, or run with them over my shoulders until my arms give out. I never did much "heavy lifting" in the past (I've been weight lifting for about 3 years?) and got pretty strong with dumbbells (just keep increasing the weight), bodyweight exercises (especially during a HIIT workout,) and PULL-UPS!

Oh, and online videos are REALLY helpful. Watch them, take notes. Crossfit.com has a section full of instructional videos. But I'm still warning you...Be careful and take things SLOW! You don't want to throw your back out!

On a mission to help others master movement, build unbreakable strength, & eat MORE food (can't beat that.) Weekly fitness, health & nutrition articles at indulgentfitness.com.

Comment

Thanks Jess. I'm still doing weights the conventional way - bicep curls, tricep extension - by isolating the muscle groups. I want to do more functional ones that involve various muscle groups.

Comment

Try doing shoulder presses, deadlifts with your dumbbells (try them one-legged too!), chair dips, renegade rows, squats with weight, and push-ups/burpees. These use more major muscle groups and are a little more demanding than a bicep curl, for instance...Do you feel like you're really WORKING when you're doing your isolation exercises?

On a mission to help others master movement, build unbreakable strength, & eat MORE food (can't beat that.) Weekly fitness, health & nutrition articles at indulgentfitness.com.

Comment

Not really. I do about 10-20 min of weights and although my muscles tire, it doesn't feel difficult at all. I used to use 5lb dumb bells until recently. And I didn't find the transition to 1o lbs difficult at all. Also, I feel like I can easily do 12-15 reps with the weights. I read on another thread that if you can do more than 8-10, then the weight isn't heavy enough.

Comment

Maba, I thought on another thread you said you wanted to do P90X?

Comment

Yeah P90x! I just did shoulders and arms last night, and I felt pretty worked with 12lbs. Seriously maba, try doing bodyweight exercises during a HIIT. My muscles always feel fatigued the next day when I'm doing fast circuits without rest.

Comment

@Jedi: Yeah, I got the P90X DVDs but my current schedule does not permit me to spend 1 hour everyday doing it. I hope I can in the future.

@Jess: Do you do it everyday for an hour as recommended? Can it be adapted for a shorter but more intensive workout?

Comment

Maba--Tony Horton says you can do one round of each exercise (normally 24 exercise, just do half) this will still give you 80% of the benefit. I've done 3 rounds of X and am starting another one...I do abs on the non-lifting days to keep it shorter too...

Comment

On my strength training days, I do pullups, squats (often with a loaded barbell), chest presses (again with a loaded barbell or dumbells), shoulder presses, deadlifts, walking lunges and pushups.

One of the better books I've found is New Ruled for Lifting for Women.

Start weight: 250 - 06/2009
                    Current weight: 199
                    Goal: 145

Comment

Hey Maba, I forget where you said you were located in the Pittsburgh area, but I can refer you to my trainer, he is awesome and the first workout/consult is free of charge. Let me know and I will shoot you his info! I can tell you that I have made enormous gains since I started seeing him and I only go once a week. I also do p90x, which is great, but I firmly believe that a trainer is needed to ensure that proper technique (no cheating!) is maintained.

Comment

Thank you all. Katt, I will check out that book.

PJAP, awesome! My email id is mamathabaloo[at]hotmail[dot]com.

Comment

I have done the P90X and they are good work outs. Now I do one every now and then I really like the yoga one.I am currently doing turbulence training. they are real good full body workouts. http://www.turbulencetraining.com/

You also can go on youtube to find them.

Comment

Maba you need to progressively increase the weights you are using. 10 lbs probably isn't enough for bicep curls.

Since you have the P90X DVDs I recommend going through them and doing the exercises along with Tony and the kids. I agree with Sully, if you don't have the time to do the full workout, just do the first half. The only thing P90X won't give you is compound movements like deadlifts and squats. Well you do those in the Legs & Back video but with little or no weight. But those exercises can be very effective with just body weight. I guarantee you that you will be sore for at least three days after doing the Legs & Back workout.

Comment

Maba, my PT reccomended that it was actually better to do half the DVD rather than the full hour, but just do the exercises faster and with more intensity. I followed the scheduled "routine" for P90x for the first month until I hurt my rotator cuff (completely unrelated by the way,) but now I might do a full segment on a random day, and then other times I'll just take certain exercises from the program but follow the short workout/higher intensity principle. Mix it up, keep your muscles guessing. There are TONS of good exercises from all of the P90x DVDs, I'm sure you will get WORKED!

Comment

Working...
                              X