The Elusive Free-Standing Handstand

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TURF WAR!!!!

riddle me this, Al Kavadlo, why do i just keep dropping into left-handed cart wheels when i reach 5 seconds?

also, there's a great way to find the straight-torso balance with the "donkey kick" version. Instead of swinging legs up, just go from a "downward dog" position and do a light hop up, bringing hips over hands, and knees into the chest. find the "hang time" there, and then once you have that hang time, it's pretty easy to take the legs up straight. it's nifty to do that with a small ball (like a softball) between the thighs just above the knees. really gets that sense of extension going.

but i still get up there and cart wheel out, ball flying in the other direction.

btw, nice work.

Comment

Originally posted by Funkadelic Flash View Post
      HSPU were(still are) my favorite exercise of all time. I managed to get up to 12 against the wall and a few free-standing before losing my balance...until I ended up breaking my back at the end of October. I can't wait to get back to 'em! Another favorite of mine was attempting to alternate between crow pose and a full handstand. Anyone with the strength should definitely give it a try; it's a blast!

Thanks for all of the dedication, Al!

ETA: HA! Just saw you included the crow pose to handstand in the end of your video. EPIC!
      Thanks - best of luck on your recovery! I'm still working towards the full range of motion on the free-standing handstand push-up. Currently, I can only go half way down otherwise I tip over on the way up. Hoping to get those eventually!

Originally posted by dragonmamma View Post
      I've practiced against the wall every day this week, and today I got brave enough to back away a few inches. (I'm awfully glad that wall is there; I still need it after half a second of balancing!) I kick up in sets of 10, alternating the leg I kick up with; I always want to lead with my left leg, but now I'm almost as confident with my right.
      Sounds good - keep it up and in time you'll get more and more confident away from the wall.

Originally posted by iniQuity View Post
      I've been getting some 2-3 second holds free standing. It's exciting stuff. I'm getting more confident with my kick ups and finding the right amount of kick I need.
      Nice! Keep it up!

Originally posted by zoebird View Post
      TURF WAR!!!!

riddle me this, Al Kavadlo, why do i just keep dropping into left-handed cart wheels when i reach 5 seconds?

also, there's a great way to find the straight-torso balance with the "donkey kick" version. Instead of swinging legs up, just go from a "downward dog" position and do a light hop up, bringing hips over hands, and knees into the chest. find the "hang time" there, and then once you have that hang time, it's pretty easy to take the legs up straight. it's nifty to do that with a small ball (like a softball) between the thighs just above the knees. really gets that sense of extension going.

but i still get up there and cart wheel out, ball flying in the other direction.

btw, nice work.
      I am familiar with the donkey kick style kick up - there are a lot of ways to get into a handstand! For me this gymnastics type kick up feels the best, but it is good to mess around with different stuff too.

As for why you can't hold your handstand longer, remember that the free standing handstand is very elusive! It is just plain ol' hard to maintain your balance in that position.

Try to relax and go in with confidence. Don't expect to fall or you'll live up to that expectation.
      "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

sigpic

Comment

i just love to play with it. and btw, my left shoulder is seriously sore, because i was forcing myself to pick up if i dropped, that is to say, not drop, which is to say that there is some sort of something there. it might also be noted that my left side is a bit more rounded (likely some rotator cuff stuff), and it's connected to my neck in some way, as my feldy-guy pointed out last week.

it is interesting for me to work on this process, handstand or no. i also note that my one-arm chins really stink on the left, but are solid on the right. These are, of course, modified by using a lower bar and a bench, nevertheless, there is a striking difference.

i also get pain in my left arm (from anyway being), and that's been interesting to puzzle out with a combination of massage, energy work, acupuncture, yoga, and whatever other things i can throw at it.

Comment

Haha I recorded a video the other night when I got further from the wall and I wasn't expecting a hold but I held it for 4-5 seconds (felt longer, but video tells no lies), I would post it but I ended the video with a "F--- off!!!!" I tend to curse when I'm happy. Also, I was wearing snoopie PJS. .. ;(
          I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

Originally posted by zoebird View Post
            i just love to play with it. and btw, my left shoulder is seriously sore, because i was forcing myself to pick up if i dropped, that is to say, not drop, which is to say that there is some sort of something there. it might also be noted that my left side is a bit more rounded (likely some rotator cuff stuff), and it's connected to my neck in some way, as my feldy-guy pointed out last week.

it is interesting for me to work on this process, handstand or no. i also note that my one-arm chins really stink on the left, but are solid on the right. These are, of course, modified by using a lower bar and a bench, nevertheless, there is a striking difference.

i also get pain in my left arm (from anyway being), and that's been interesting to puzzle out with a combination of massage, energy work, acupuncture, yoga, and whatever other things i can throw at it.
            Like you, I'm a lot stronger on my right arm and have better range of motion, etc. in it too. Also, I agree 100% that the important thing is the process, handstand or not, so keep at it!

Originally posted by iniQuity View Post
            Haha I recorded a video the other night when I got further from the wall and I wasn't expecting a hold but I held it for 4-5 seconds (felt longer, but video tells no lies), I would post it but I ended the video with a "F--- off!!!!" I tend to curse when I'm happy. Also, I was wearing snoopie PJS. .. ;(
            Congrats! It always feels like so much longer when you are doing it! I've broken a minute on a couple of occasions but it felt like an eternity. When you are concentrating that intensely time has a way of slowing down.
            "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

sigpic

Comment

snoopy pjs and an excited swearing is not a problem. i can shame a sailor, myself.

Comment

Very detailed guide !

I saw some of your videos where you did some cartwheels. If someone is interested, I put up a nice guide on the subject here: How to do a cartwheel
                Want to handstand like Bruce Lee ?

Check lostartofhandbalancing.com

Comment

Thanks Logan!

sigpic

Comment

On seeing this one again, i love how encouraging you are. It's good to just "give it a go."

Comment

Ah this is somewhat depressing for me. I'm STILL working on the HS but this time around I sought actual teachers and have been using their techniques, but it's still a work in progress for me.

Shoulder opening/flexibility is a huge issue for me I've learned, and doesn't allow me to get into the right alignment, so I have to use more back bend or whatever to stay stable. I've had better holds but still randomly kicking up doesn't usually end well. I like to work at it though so even though it's still not happening for me I still like to train toward it. Hopefully I'll be better with it before December!
                      I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

Working...
                      X