Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bulking upper body

Time to unleash the inner bro'tard:

In two months I am looking to get some work as a bouncer. To increase my chances of employment I want to add a bit of size to my upper body - i.e chest, upper back, arms and shoulders.

What are the best exercises for gaining size in those muscles as soon as possible?

What is the best way to eat but still stay primal (and maybe no dairy)?

So far I am thinking:
    DB bench.
    Deadlift.
    Cleans
    Shoulder Press or Military Press
    BB Curls
    A steak a day keeps the doctor away

imho I'd say it depends on if you just want the look of the bulk, or the actual functional strength too..

The olympic lifts are good, along with military press, but I'd ditch the bicep curls and replace them with pull ups / weighted pull ups as then you get the added bulk to your lats at the same time as working your arms (and other muscles). Oh, and chuck in some bench presses too.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

If your going for pure bulk plenty of calories and moderate to high reps.

Add squats to the routine, it's a good all around bulking exercise.
      - Follow me on Twitter | Read my blog! - www.PaleOZ.com -

Free Robb Wolf Paleo Meal Generator for iPhone
      IF Timer - The Original Intermittent Fasting iPhone App

Comment

All those exercises you listed are good but you want to flert with the 6-12 rep range (anything over 12 reps is TOO LIGHT and does not count!) so you can get both myo. hyper. (functional) and sac. hyper. (The bulky non functional mass you need to look intimidating as a bouncer)
        I actually help people look good naked. Seriously, I do this for a living and have fun doing it! Don't believe me? See the people I've helped for free

Comment

I'd go for an all around bulk...

squats, deadlifts, bench press, standing overhead press, barbell rows, weighted pullups, weigheted dips, power clean and press, etc.

Eat what you're eating now but add an extra whole chicken

Comment

on rest days, watch RoadHouse at least twice.

sigpic

Comment

Pull ups and chip ups would be good to add to your list as well.
              http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

Comment

Up the eggs, lift heavy and in higher ranges...

... would suggesting to "go for the pump" be irresponsible? I always went for the pump in high school and ate whatever I wanted and never did cardio and I got muscles... and fat but hey, most bouncers aren't exactly cut up fitness models, a little bit of flab will help you out in the cold bro-head.
                I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

Originally posted by arthurb999 View Post
                  I'd go for an all around bulk...

squats, deadlifts, bench press, standing overhead press, barbell rows, weighted pullups, weigheted dips, power clean and press, etc.

Eat what you're eating now but add an extra whole chicken
                  +1

Originally posted by MeatMe216 View Post
                  LOL @ Roadhouse! One of my favorite movies as a kid!
                  "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

sigpic

Comment

Dalton rules!!

Comment

Originally posted by Misabi View Post
                      imho I'd say it depends on if you just want the look of the bulk, or the actual functional strength too..

The olympic lifts are good, along with military press, but I'd ditch the bicep curls and replace them with pull ups / weighted pull ups as then you get the added bulk to your lats at the same time as working your arms (and other muscles). Oh, and chuck in some bench presses too.
                      Definitely the bulk. I need to look the part. After I get guaranteed work I'll switch back to something more functional.

Originally posted by MeatMe216 View Post

Never seen that movie. Will do.

Originally posted by iniQuity View Post
                      Up the eggs, lift heavy and in higher ranges...

... would suggesting to "go for the pump" be irresponsible? I always went for the pump in high school and ate whatever I wanted and never did cardio and I got muscles... and fat but hey, most bouncers aren't exactly cut up fitness models, a little bit of flab will help you out in the cold bro-head.
                      Fuck cardio. I doubt I'll get much flab at all (if any) since I'm not going to be carbing up: i.e eating McDonalds all the time.
                      A steak a day keeps the doctor away

Comment

If you are just really looking for size and "looks". http://www.t-nation.com/ .
                        This is exactly what body builders do.
                        I would never, but it seems like you are pragmatic about this and know why you are doing it
                        Eat a LOT of fat!
                        Muscle + fat will make you bigger than just muscle.
                        Muscle + fat + water would be make you look still bigger. So if you really want to get big you should try to bind some water in your body before the interview. And you know the easiest way to do this...

This is clearly very non-primal advice

Don't get stuck though

Comment

I would stick to pullups ( the best bicep workout you will ever get will be a great back workout ), pushups, and, most definitely, handstand push ups (HSPU). The HSPU will demolish your shoulders, triceps, and trapezius. While a big chest is fine, most people are more intimidated by broad shoulders than a thick chest.

-PK

PS If you really only care about stretching the tape, you want to be carb loading. This will make you retain water and make you fatter, both of which will add to your bulk. The traditional bodybuilding whey protein shake with GI carbs is a sure fire recipe for a massive insulin spike.
                          My blog : cogitoergoedo.com

Interested in Intermittent Fasting? This might help: part 1, part 2, part 3.

Comment

Oh, PLEASE do the "all-around bulk." That big-upper-body-on-little-toothpick-legs look is ridiculous, and women are laughing at you behind your back. A man can't ever go wrong with some big legs!!
                            "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Comment

If your not already using it, be sure to pick up some creatine. There's a lot of questions about whether the loading faze is worth it, but I do it regardless... it's not like the stuff is super expensive. Be sure to drink plenty of water while your taking it and keep working out regularly. This should help you put on 8 to 15 pounds of muscle and improve your strength quite a bit. Also be sure to take plenty of protein... I recommend the whey isolate, but watch out for all the sugar and extra crap they put in those things. If you can get the natural stuff, it's the best.
                              Last tip... buy some shirts that are too small to show off the gunz!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X