Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Walkin barefoot is fibe, but standing REALLY hirts. Whats the proper foot position?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walkin barefoot is fibe, but standing REALLY hirts. Whats the proper foot position?

I have flat feet (or the opposite) im not sure. Ive been walking barefoot for a few weeks. Its going well if i put the balk of my foot first down when walking. But for standing, i just cant stand on the ball of my feet its toi hard so i have to put my heel down. It gets really painful fast. I tried to put my weight on the outside of my feet but that help but doesnt really eliminate the pain.

Whats the proper foot position when standing so your heels dont hurt?

i just walk around, maybe back and forth :/ it's uncomfortable for me to stand still for too long
    beautiful
    yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
    lol

Comment

Stand with knees relaxed, it will take some pressure of your heels.
      http://kitoikitchen.blogspot.com/

Comment

i would just put a slight bend in the knees, actually, which should take some of the pressure off. a lot of people "relax" their knees and end up hyperextending their legs, putting their weight back on their heels, hence the pain.

if you are flat footed, go to yogajournal.com and look up the "yoga for flat feet" article by Tias little. it's great, and will help your feet develop an arch.

also, work slowly toward bare foot. it might also be helpful to use scandinavian clogs with wooden bottoms. while standing, they'll support the arch and proper alignment of the feet, but they will work out the foot while walking. do this in addition to some time barefoot and yoga work, and you'll have a discernable arch in no time.

i know this to be true, on account that my husband had flat feet until about 7 years ago, after doing the yoga/barefoot/clog bit.

Comment

I haven't figured out how to put the ball of my foot down first while walking. I find it natural when jogging/running. However, with walking, the heel/ball/toe stride feels more natural. Which is "correct"?

Carrie

Comment

you'll find your stride. give it time.

Comment

Originally posted by carres1973 View Post
              I haven't figured out how to put the ball of my foot down first while walking. I find it natural when jogging/running. However, with walking, the heel/ball/toe stride feels more natural. Which is "correct"?
              I'm almost 100% certain that an efficient, natural walking stride involves a heel strike. The opposite is true for running, as you've found out. I don't believe it's possible to walk with a forefoot strike without being inefficient and looking like a fool.

Comment

Originally posted by radioplastic View Post
                I have flat feet (or the opposite) im not sure. Ive been walking barefoot for a few weeks. Its going well if i put the balk of my foot first down when walking. But for standing, i just cant stand on the ball of my feet its toi hard so i have to put my heel down. It gets really painful fast. I tried to put my weight on the outside of my feet but that help but doesnt really eliminate the pain.

I used to find both walking barefoot and standing barefoot very uncomfortable. For whatever reason, wearing my VFFs were necessary to be able to transition to barefoot. I still prefer the VFFs but if it's warm enough so that my feet won't get cold (I have Raynaud's) I can go barefoot - standing or walking...for hours.

Another helpful transitiion - for standing - was to have a small stool or chair available to I could prop up one foot then the other. I also prop one foot at a time up on the kitchen counter or bar while standing at the computer. Like I am now. lol

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

yes, heel striking is the most efficient way for us humans to walk around, that changes when we start jogging and sprinting. don't try to walk a certain way, just do what feels natural.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big L View Post
                    I'm almost 100% certain that an efficient, natural walking stride involves a heel strike. The opposite is true for running, as you've found out. I don't believe it's possible to walk with a forefoot strike without being inefficient and looking like a fool.
                    +1
                    Christine
                    Wag more, bark less

Comment

Funny that you should say that. When I went on my walk this evening, I tried not doing the heel strike thing but it was almost like I was walking on tip-toe. It felt completely unnatural. The good thing - it gets dark early so no one could see me! My only problem with the whole heel strike thing is that when wearing VFFs or other non-traditional shoes, my right heel KILLS after an hour walk. Maybe I just need to "bulk up" the heel. I just don't want to get heel spurs and be sidelined! I had plantar fasciitis a couple years ago (when I started the C25K program) and that HURTS!

Carrie
                      Last edited by carres1973; 11-24-2010, 07:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by radioplastic View Post

Do you have a job where you HAVE to stand a lot? I am just thinking that if not, you can work up to standing for longer periods. Maybe try one of those anti-fatigue mats. They are cushiony. That might help with the transition.

Carrie

Comment

I have the same problem, flat feet that hurt to stand on, though mine is compounded by ongoing Plantar Faciitis. In addition, the fat pads in the bottoms of my feet seem to be very thin, and the foot bones in the forefoot are very easily detectible with the fingers, and that's where it hurts, the metatarsals and heels. Even in my chucks, If I'm on a realy hard surface, it'll start hurting after a few hours. (feet feel bruised)
                          +1 on heelstriking being more natural when walking, unless I'm on gravel or a similar surface, then I forefoot strike, especialy if there are stones around I might step on. I think I'm just beyond help, footwise
                          sigpicI'm not old, I'm Vintage!

Comment

I walk six km each day with a mid foot strike. Its dead easy, just shorten your stride. Nothing foolish here but the inexperienced pundits
                            Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

Originally posted by peril View Post
                              I walk six km each day with a mid foot strike. Its dead easy, just shorten your stride. Nothing foolish here but the inexperienced pundits
                              My understanding (based merely on reading a handful of articles on the subject) is that the "inverted pendulum" motion we use when walking is most efficient with a heel strike. That's not to say you can't land on another part of your foot first, merely that doing so is a less efficient way to move. You know, kind of like heel-striking when running.

As to my comment about looking foolish when walking in a manner other than the default, biomechanically efficient way, I apologize if I offended you. But maybe you protest too much.

Comment

Working...
                              X