What do you do: Move Slow for 45+ minutes vs. Sprint for 20 mins

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you do: Move Slow for 45+ minutes vs. Sprint for 20 mins

Okay, so I've been doing my move slowly workouts, maintaining HR at 65% of max. My issue is that there is no 'fat burning zone,' exercise is all about getting the caloric deficit. Is it better to go all out every day (or more than once a week) in order to maximize fat burn through calories burned? Most of the time I don't even break a sweat when I do my move-slowly cardio workout...

So, I'll throw it over to you...go for 80%-90% of heart rate every day, or continue with the move-slowly workouts...

You need to get past the premise that "exercise is all about getting the caloric deficit". We exercise to build muscle (i.e. lift heavy things) and send the appropriate metabolic messages to our bodies (move slowly). Its not about burning calories, its about just staying active.

Comment

Walk for an hour most days. Resistance training 2-3 days weekly. Tabata/sprint 1-2 times weekly, and play.

Comment

Sprint.

Burns fat+builds muscle+improves nutrient partitioning+better endocrine profile+improves fitness+dramatic increase in smugness=epic win

Comment

Originally posted by picard View Post
          You need to get past the premise that "exercise is all about getting the caloric deficit". We exercise to build muscle (i.e. lift heavy things) and send the appropriate metabolic messages to our bodies (move slowly). Its not about burning calories, its about just staying active.
          +1 and remember a calorie is not just a calorie - a calorie of carbs has a totally different physiological effect on the body than a calorie of protein or fat

Comment

Also, it was my understanding that we have to consider our bodies ability to recover fully, lots of low impact/intensity activites have low chance for injury allowing for more success with the sprints/lifting

Comment

i mostly focus on this: "dramatic increase in smugness" LOL!

Comment

Thanks for the advice, guys! I did 40 mins on the elliptical @ 75% hearth rate this morning.

Comment

When did it become either/or? PB says do both, at appropriate levels and frequency
                  Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

1. How the heck do you "sprint" for 20 minutes?
                    2. Exercise does not cause weight loss through caloria burning! That is really, really well established. The (minimal) calories you burn are more than offset by added hunger.
                    3. The reason to exercise is to increase your muscle mass and cardiovascular fitness. This increases your metabolsim by increasing lean mass and more importantly by stimulating production of testosterone and HGH. It also makes you healthier in general and likely to live longer and better.
                    4. Do both, obviously. Also, lift heavy weights two or three times a week. And read the Primal Blueprint, it's a great book.
                    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

You 'sprint' for twenty minutes by sprinting fifty yards, resting fo a minute, sprinting again, resting again, etc.
                      I absolutely do not buy the whole thing about exrecise making you eat so much it'll outstrip the calories burned. If that were true, eveyone who exercises would be fat and overweight.
                      Hell, if it held water, I'd be famished after a workout, and HAVE to eat. I don't. I can workout, hard or easy, and just go on about my buiseness. In fact, an intense workout usualy reduces my hunger.
                      sigpicI'm not old, I'm Vintage!

Comment

There are a ton of studies demonstrating that exercise does not cause weight loss. In some studies, the exercisers gained weight over the non-exercisers. Not only does exercise increase hunger in most people, exercise doesn't burn as many calories as people think. 90 minutes on the treadmill is roughly equal to one corn dog*. Which is easier to do every day: run 90 minutes on a dreadmill or skip the corn dog?
                        Through the summer of 2009 I attempted to lose weight by eating "healthy CW" and exercising 2 hrs per day 5 days per week. I got stronger and lost 3 lb all summer and felt like crap. Lots of fun that was.

* for our international audience, a "corn dog" is a hot dog (cheapest sausage) dipped in cornmeal batter and deep fried in rancid vegetable oil. Served with ketchup and mustard.
                        If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

I tend to agree with roadrunner. I don't feel any more hungry after a hard workout than a moderate or light workout. I track calories pretty closely each day, and will give back about 80% of calories burned during any given workout, so I'm generally eating the same relative number of calories per day. In fact, the number of 'extra' calories burned during a hard workout is usually not that much more...100-200 more.

Comment

If i go into a heavy sprint session hungry i will always come out not feeling any hunger at all and usually it doesn't return for quite a while and even then it won't be as strong.

90 minutes on a treadmill would be about 1500 calories, that's more than half of an average person's calorie intake for a day and one hell of a corndog.

Comment

Walking and steady state running make me hungry. Sprinting kills my hunger. Not sure if that means anything at all.

Comment

Working...
                              X