working up to a proper pushup

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• working up to a proper pushup

i'm the first to admit it, i'm kind of a wuss. i've always been the scronny kid. you would think that carrying a 15lb wiggly weight (aka baby) all day would make me strong as an ox, but i still can't do a proper pushup! this might seem like a stupid question, but are there any exercises that i can do to work up to a proper pushup, or do i just have to try and try again until i can do it? i can keep my body straight, and my core strong, but my arms are just a bit too weak to get myself low enough to touch my nose to the floor and back up again. actually, i can't get down to the floor without feeling like i'm going to drop myself.
    my primal journal:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

Do them at an angle, such as on a bench or counter, and work your way lower and lower.
    Stats: 5'6" female, 21 years young
    Starting Weight: 187 lbs (March 2010)
    Current Weight: 143 lbs (Oct 2011)
    Goal BF: 20%

Super D Omega 3 daily & BCAAs preworkout

Comment

I know Mark's PB Fitness e-book goes through progressions that start you out real easy and gradually work you up to the full thing.
      My blog: My Primal Adventure

"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubble gum."

Comment

Do them on your knees to start. If's that too hard do them vertical against all wall, move your feet further away from the wall as its get easier.
        Another option is build some strength with dumbells - dumbbell press.

Good luck.
        Fear of the unknown...They are afraid of new ideas. they are loaded with prejudices, not based upon anything in reality, but based onÖ if something is new, I reject it immediately because itís frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.

Comment

I was able to work up to a full pushup by using the stairs. I started out doing 3 sets of five on the 5th stair, worked my way up to 3 sets of 20, moved down to the 4th stair, worked my way up to 3 sets of 20, and then moved down to the 3rd stair. Once I was able to do 10 on the 3rd stair, I tried the floor, and can now do two proper pushups! Obviously, I still have a way to go, but the stairs provide a very convenient progression.
          The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

Comment

Originally posted by skink531 View Post
            I know Mark's PB Fitness e-book goes through progressions that start you out real easy and gradually work you up to the full thing.
            +10000 Best progression I have ever seen in my 10 years as a Personal trainer.
            Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
            Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
            Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4JbOu2acx8

top left is all you.

Check parts 2 and so on until you can work up to a proper push up (which I think is step 5 or 6). Do them just like that guy is.

and Uh... I don't think carrying a 15lb baby would make you as strong as an ox! maybe a 400lb baby
              I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

obviously you have never carried a 15 lb baby around all day! i guess it's more endurance than outright strength. thanks for the tips guys, i'll try the progression.

iniquity- awesome video. i'll probably do more than just the wall pushup!
                Last edited by Saoirse; 11-19-2010, 01:50 PM.
                my primal journal:

Comment

Another vote here for following Mark's ebook progression. I can actually do a few proper pushups after only three weeks. I started at the bottom for every exercise rather than taking the test just to try them all out. The wall pushups were no problem the first workout, but I still felt it. I was able to breeze through the knee pushups and could actually do all 30 in a row the second and third workouts. Next up is the incline pushup if I can find something in my house to use.

Comment

Originally posted by Saoirse View Post
                    obviously you have never carried a 15 lb baby around all day! i guess it's more endurance than outright strength. thanks for the tips guys, i'll try the progression.

iniquity- awesome video. i'll probably do more than just the wall pushup!
                    Of course! challenge yourself, the wall push up is just the easiest way to start, wasn't calling you weak or nothing.
                    I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

the e-book's progression is great.

another thing is to get help with proper form. once you get the leverages right, it's easy. you'll be able to do them in no time at all! and then you can start rocking out videos like Al.

Comment

Originally posted by iniQuity View Post
                        Of course! challenge yourself, the wall push up is just the easiest way to start, wasn't calling you weak or nothing.
                        ha! i called MYSELF weak. but, strength is subjective, *I* think it takes a lot of strength to carry my babe (is this a contradiction?). maybe you could try carrying a 15 lb weight around for a few hours while you're trying to multitask, and you can judge for yourself. I tried the wall push-up, but it was way too easy, so i'll have to try a different angle (i was almost parallel to the wall, so of course there was hardly any resistance). i'll try again once the babe's in bed.
                        my primal journal:

Comment

your not weak girl....thats allll in your head. i started with knee push ups...worked up to 3 sets to failure....then put a bar across 2 counters and started again.... what i found was to do good pushups i needed to use my shoulders, its like a feeling of bringing your shoulders to a rounded positiion as you push up....youll fele it when you do it, and until i figured out that i was pushing with the wrong muscle my pushups were prtty back dependent and usually resulted in dropping my lower back/butt....make sure your totally solid planked out with a tight butt and use your shoulders...yourr get there i did you will too b
                          Get on my Level
                          http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

Comment

thanks for the encouragement! my core could use a little work, but it's actually pretty solid compared to my upper body. where should i feel the "burn" if my form is correct? i tried different angles to the wall, and nothing seemed right, so now i'm pushing off of the futon. when I do a few "push-ups," i feel a little sore in my pecs right by my armpits, in my abs just below my rib cage, and above my shoulder blades. how does this look? should my elbows jut out from my body, or should my arms be mostly parallel to my body?

my primal journal:

Comment

+1 on Mark's progression:

counter/wall pushups
                              knee pushups
                              pushups from something hip height.

'grease the groove' = doing a few whenever you can. you'll get stronger and will eventually get that first pushup.

K

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

Working...
                              X