I want a bike.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want a bike.

Im looking to buy a bike for fitness and transportation purposes. I want to ride it to work/stores and to the gym and the occcasional ride for fun. I have not been on a bike since i was like 12. 22 now. I weigh 180 and im 6'0. I live in arizona there are some dirt roads but most of it is paved. What kind of brands should i look at? What kind type of bike?

Patro,
    if you are looking to use a bike a lot, then you owe it to yourself to head to a bike shop and get some advice from them. there are tons of brands that create quality bikes for decent money...without you having to pay for the big names like cannondale, gary fisher, etc., but the bike store owners will know best. also, you are definitely going to want to be sized for a bike so it is a good fit.
    i'm guessing that you are probably going after some kind of crossover bike--not a road bike or a mountain bike, but more of a cross between them or a cruiser. if there is more than one bike shop in your area, check out as many as you can. you want to weigh your options, and make sure that you're not getting screwed.
    it might seem like a little bit of a process, but buying and using a bike can be really rewarding
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

+1.
      You will PROBABLY want a hybrid. But definitely get fitted, and definitely try lots of bikes before you buy. And don't get talked into anything!!! Racers think road bikes are the only way, MTBers think mountain bikes are it, etc etc. Make sure the bike you get is the bike you LOOOOOOOOVE.

Comment

hybrids are nice and probably the way to go.
        +1 to going to a bike shop and getting fitted.

I trashed my hybrid by riding to hard on it for 2 years. Now I have a mnt bike and road bike.
        sigpic

Comment

Look into a touring bike. Lots of gears and pretty rugged. If I were in the market, I would definitely look at the Jamis Auroura Elite (disc brake model). you can set it up for commuting with fenders and a rack quite easily. I would also look at a Cyclocross bike. You can put some nice knobby tires on a CZX bike due to greater clearence than normal road bikes. Don't get a race bike, the geometry will most likely not be something you will like.

Comment

I'd also suggest checking out craigslist and so forth. You can often get really great deals on older bikes that still work just fine. Otherwise, for sure go to a bike store not a big box place. You don't necessarily need something crazy expensive but most real low end bikes are just super frustrating to deal with.
            For transportation, I'd suggest that you get something that you can mount a rack on.
            I have an older 10 speed that I use around town. Touring and cross bikes are also great choices. Cruisers are IMHO very cool but they are slower and generally really heavy - not too great in a hilly area. Hybrids vary a lot.

Comment

Dude, get a BMX. I'm thinking of getting one next summer to relive my youth. You know you want to.

Comment

I agree with a lot of the points mentioned. Go to a bike shop and get fitted for sure, then see if you can find what you are looking for on craigslist. Remember if you purchase the bike from the shop, they often in clude yearly tune-ups for free which might be worth it if you will be riding a lot.

I currently own a Giant and although I like it I htink that the frame is a bit too small for me. I have to have the seat at the highest setting to ride it. My husband owns a Trek, and I have owned a Trek in the past. Next time I get a new bike I will most likely go back to Trek.
                Meghan

My MDA journal

Primal Ponderings- my blog- finally added some food pron :P

And best of all my Body Fat Makeover!!

Comment

Thank you all. I will go get fitted at a bike shop.

Comment

Originally posted by Bane View Post
                    Dude, get a BMX. I'm thinking of getting one next summer to relive my youth. You know you want to.
                    +1. I'm in.

Comment

Bane's totally off. Get a sportbike, preferably a Triumph 675 or Yamaha R6. Chicks'll dig it.

Comment

ditto, get a hybrid/cross bike, though if you think you may venture off road more in the future, its also an option to get a hard tail MTB and run slicks to start . It gives you the option of having full off road capability by changing the tyres to chunky tyres.
                        Brands?
                        Specialized, GT, Trek, Giant are all trusted names, with huge selections. I am especially fond of Specialized myself.
                        Fear of the unknown...They are afraid of new ideas. they are loaded with prejudices, not based upon anything in reality, but based onÖ if something is new, I reject it immediately because itís frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.

Comment

You don't say where in AZ. Phoenix Craigslist has any number of listings for decent money. For a buck fiddy I like this: http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/bik/2051848428.html Prolly take a C note.

My sister was in Mesa for a few years and I remember it being dead flat. Those beach cruisers listed are something you don't see around here (Boston) and seem to be worth a test ride.
                          Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

Comment

Great idea to pick up biking, I spent about 400 bucks on a sexy Specialized mountain bike and use it everyday. :-) Definitely hit up a bike shop... Although they may have similiar models to the ones you see at Walmart or Dick's Sporting Goods, it really matters HOW the bike was put apart (it needs TLC, too!), what sort of parts/tools they use, etc. I would NOT reccomend a beach cruiser, I got a decent one and destroyed that thing by going too hard (they're meant for exactly that.... CRUISING.) Road bikes can be fast as hell, but can't handle other terrain very well, plus you REALLY have to be in a bent-over position (=crappy posture.) Although I like the idea of hybrids, if you ever decide to go through some trails, you might find yourself wishing you had a bike that can handle a little better in that enviornment. My friend struggled with a (very nice) hybrid bike when we hit up some fairly gentle trails, quite dissapointing for the both of us. I would say just go for the mountain bike, can't go wrong with the versatality. Really comes in handy when you want to take short-cuts through grass, dirt, gravel, etc. on your way somewhere, not to mention more fun than riding on straight road. Just remember to get one with GOOD SHOCKS!! ;-)

Although I am bias towards Specialized, I also really love my sister's Raleigh. Has lasted FOREVER! Great bike. :-) You won't regret either purchase!
                            On a mission to help others master movement, build unbreakable strength, & eat MORE food (can't beat that.) Weekly fitness, health & nutrition articles at indulgentfitness.com.

Comment

If you are going to use it for fitness on both shingle and seal, cyclocross bikes are ideal. like a road bike but made to handle rough surfaces. A very popular option in the UK and Europe. You can get them with 3 chain rings if you have steep hills to deal with.

Comment

Working...
                              X