2010 NYC Marathon

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2010 NYC Marathon

I had a blast yesterday watching the NYC marathon. Check out my blog today to see some photos and read more of my thoughts on the 2010 NYC Marathon.
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

sigpic

Here's a cool timelapse video of waves of humanity progressing along various routes. Neat stuff.

Al Roker did the marathon this year - that guy has made some amazing strides (no pun intended).
    carl's cave

Comment

That's a cool video, carlh.
      "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Comment

Originally posted by carlh View Post
        Here's a cool timelapse video of waves of humanity progressing along various routes. Neat stuff.

Al Roker did the marathon this year - that guy has made some amazing strides (no pun intended).
        Cool video! However, I believe your pun may have in fact been intentional.
        "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

sigpic

Comment

Our strengths usually = our weakness

In a way, it is inspiring that the Chilean miner finished the marathon. That kind of determination helped him survive his time under ground. Inspiring.

And it is really stupid to finish a marathon when you are obviously doing lots of damage to your body. It is stupid to run at all without months of long distance training. Dumb.
          Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Comment

Nice pictures Al!

Even though as PB'ers we should be saying "down with this sort of thing", I can't help feel a nagging sense of respect for anyone who does run a marathon, it is one of those things people should try at least once in their lives.

I ran NYC in 2001 and I gotta say it was an amazing feeling, the huge level of support (from everyone) and togetherness in the city at that time, both during the run and in the days leading up to it.

dc

Comment

Even though as PB'ers we should be saying "down with this sort of thing", I can't help feel a nagging sense of respect for anyone who does run a marathon, it is one of those things people should try at least once in their lives.
              Careful now

Actually i agree - I ran a half marathon a few years ago, and since then I've been thinking I'd like to try a full one. Mind you I keep thinking I'll do it 'next year'...

Comment

Originally posted by gingergenocide View Post
                Nice pictures Al!

I ran NYC in 2001 and I gotta say it was an amazing feeling, the huge level of support (from everyone) and togetherness in the city at that time, both during the run and in the days leading up to it.

dc
                Thanks! Anyone who has run a Marathon has earned my respect. All the backlash against distance running in the primal community disappoints me.

The positive energy out there on race day is undeniable - it must have been really intense with everything New York was going through back in 2001.

sigpic

Comment

Mollymoe, go for it I say! I think if I were to run a marathon again, I'd look for an off road/trail marathon and I'd attempt it primally, so slower than before and on a diet of streaky bacon!

I was in London at the weekend and I can't think of a nicer way to take in the city...well maybe a boris bike..though london drivers don't seem to notice them...stop me if i'm going off on a tangent...

dc

Comment

The positive energy out there on race day is undeniable - it must have been really intense with everything New York was going through back in 2001

Yeah, it was pretty intense alright, so many runners doing it on behalf of lost ones, and with minimal training. The support from the NYPD and FDNY (is that right?) was tremendous, as was the support from the crowd. The run up to the day was exceptional, I was over with a local charity with a well known Irish runner, Eamon Coughlan, we briefly met Michael Johnson out on a run in Central Park the day before - so all in all a great week.

dc

Comment

Mollymoe, go for it I say!
                      I second that!

Yeah, it was pretty intense alright, so many runners doing it on behalf of lost ones, and with minimal training. The support from the NYPD and FDNY (is that right?) was tremendous, as was the support from the crowd.
                      Yes, FDNY is correct.

The run up to the day was exceptional, I was over with a local charity with a well known Irish runner, Eamon Coughlan, we briefly met Michael Johnson out on a run in Central Park the day before - so all in all a great week.
                      Meeting Michael Johnson the day before a Marathon? Can't ask for better inspiration than that!

sigpic

Comment

Nice pictures Al!

dc
                        Agreed. Everyone should do a full or half marathon at least once. I am proud I did a half. To me, doing a full would involve to much damage considering that my body is already somewhat damaged from many years of doing jobs that were hard on it. I'm 67.

Like Mark says, if doing marathons is your passion, go for it. Just do it primally, which I did. Months of gradually longer distances once a week. Sprints twice a week. Lots of rest. Walked the race at a brisk pace.

My point about the miner is that he had not trained anywhere near long enough. He obviously was doing lots of damage to his body. I still admire his (and the other miners') spirit.

People's strengths are usually the same as their weakness.
                        Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Comment

Originally posted by Hedonist View Post
                          Agreed. Everyone should do a full or half marathon at least once. I am proud I did a half. To me, doing a full would involve to much damage considering that my body is already somewhat damaged from many years of doing jobs that were hard on it. I'm 67.

Like Mark says, if doing marathons is your passion, go for it. Just do it primally, which I did. Months of gradually longer distances once a week. Sprints twice a week. Lots of rest. Walked the race at a brisk pace.

My point about the miner is that he had not trained anywhere near long enough. He obviously was doing lots of damage to his body. I still admire his (and the other miners') spirit.

People's strengths are usually the same as their weakness.
                          I agree. I'm all for running Marathons, but you gotta train for it properly or you're asking for trouble. Doing a marathon without the proper build up would be like trying to deadlift 300lbs without gradually working towards it.

So far I've done 3 halves and 1 full. I expect those number to go up over the next several years.

By the way, I like that line about peoples' strengths being their weakness. I might use it sometime!

sigpic

Comment

Hedonist - agree with you on the training front.

However, that said (time to contradict myself) I love the idea of someone just deciding to run a marathon without any training - and this happens, all the time! It's the action of someone with a flagrant disregard for their body yes but it's also indicative of a certain primal instinct and of course free will, sure it goes against what is advised, but is that not what we (PB'ers) are doing?

Al, best of luck with those marathons! I ran mine in normal runners of course, and whilst I was always a reasonably fast marathoner, 3hrs 15min, I couldn't walk to save my life.

dc

Comment

However, that said (time to contradict myself) I love the idea of someone just deciding to run a marathon without any training - and this happens, all the time! It's the action of someone with a flagrant disregard for their body yes but it's also indicative of a certain primal instinct and of course free will, sure it goes against what is advised, but is that not what we (PB'ers) are doing?
                              Comedian Eddie Izzard did this a few years ago, to raise money for a sports-based children's charity. He ran a bunch of marathons all over the world, on really minimal training, and blogged about it. He finished every one. He acknowledged the damage done, but he felt it was worth it for the attention and awareness he raised for the charity.

Comment

Working...
                              X