Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another BS CW article, this time specifically about low-carb diets:

http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/nutrition_articles.asp?id=590

If you're a member of SP I welcome you to comment... I did. "Dietitian Becky" is getting on my nerves.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Comment

Well it does spout some typical CW BS but overall I wouldn't say it is that terrible of an article. I was glad to see her say not all carbs are created equal and while I don't agree with everything on her list of what to include, the list of what to limit and what to eliminate seems pretty spot-on.

What I really take issue with is:

"The risk of heart disease is greatly increased on a low-carb diet that is high in protein, cholesterol, fat, and saturated fat. A temporary reduction in cholesterol levels may be experienced, but this is common with any weight loss."

No credible study has conclusively shown that cholesterol has any impact on heart disease. We need to call people out whenever they spout such CW. Just challenge them to cite a study that supports that statement. Don't let them get away with saying "The AHA says...", "The CDC says...", "The FDA says...", etc.

Comment

Dave - I swear that's how EVERY "CW" argument starts..."But the AHA said!" With a few family members who recently ditched their AHA-approved diets to eat low-carb Protein Power/Atkins diets with great success (lower BG, lower cholesterol), I think I call major bull on the AHA.

So many CW theories go straight back to Ancel Keys' flawed studies. There's little balance in the argument and little regard for the history of civilizations. It's a lot of half truths, incomplete research, and hopping in bed with large agribusiness.

I'm so frustrated of arguing for the way I eat and live now I cancelled my membership in SparkPeople, Team Beachbody (P90X), The Daily Plate, and many Facebook groups. I'd rather just unload that unnecessary stress.

Comment

Working...
        X