Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horseback riding

Hi,

How good of an exercise is horseback riding? I go once or twice a week, three hours each, some trotting, some cantering, but mostly walking.

Thanks,
    ~k
    Started Atkins:: 1996
    Started Paleo: 2003
    Illness Started: 2008
    Started Leptin Reset: 01.10.2012
    Thighs Starting Size: 54.8 cm
    Thighs Goal Size: 53.5 cm
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread46986.html

well, depends on your level, and on what you do... mostly walking surely is not much exercise, but still all your muscles work in order to stabilize you on the horse...
    I think of it as play! especially if you go outside!

Comment

Sounds like good exercise.....for the horse.

Comment

It's good for your stomach muscles, bum and thighs. I had rock hard thighs from years of horse riding.. maybe I need to get back into it.

Comment

Is it true that women can get an orgasm from riding a horse? Or is that BS?

Sorry, but I've heard this tale so many times that I just had to ask this question.

Best to all,
          Grizz

Comment

Never happened to me but I'm sure the friction could cause it.

Comment

Some girlies pop their cherries on the horsey, true fact amigos.

My gf used to be on the equestrian team and she says it's definitely a bit of a workout. Gotta be mindful of your posture, your legs, your core, your arms, etc. Whenever I tried riding my butt was sore as shit the next day but no other part of my anatomy. I wouldn't file it under "moving heavy things" even though that's precisely what you're doing. I would look at it as play and fun!
              I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

My friend was going easy on me because I had not ridden a horse in 6 years. We have only gone out twice so far and next time she would like to trot/canter more. They are her horses and she needs help exercising them. I definitely felt my thighs while trotting. I agree, the walking wouldn't be much exercise for me, but the trotting/cantering sure felt like it was.

Thank you for the replies!!

~k
                Started Atkins:: 1996
                Started Paleo: 2003
                Illness Started: 2008
                Started Leptin Reset: 01.10.2012
                Thighs Starting Size: 54.8 cm
                Thighs Goal Size: 53.5 cm
                My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread46986.html

Comment

Originally posted by iniQuity View Post
                  I wouldn't file it under "moving heavy things" even though that's precisely what you're doing
                  One could file it under 'heavy things moving you'

Comment

I ride and I think it's probably best filed under play, but then again it is a great workout for your core and thighs. Even walking. I ride English style and the horse is controlled through the core, seat, hips, and thighs. It's great fun though
                    "For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks." - Terry Pratchett, Equal Rites

My Facebook (please send a message to introduce yourself though!)

Comment

Speaking of horses, what pieces of shit they are! every time I ride with my gf they listen to her and not to me, makes my man ego deflate considerably. We even switch horses mid-way (because her horses tend to behave better) and I guess they notice a complete novice is sitting on them and start acting up while my previously mischievous horse becomes a sweet darling angel under her tutelage.

Can't wait to eat one of them SOB's.

http://theoatmeal.com/story/eat_horses
                      I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

Working...
                      X