Anyone ever done the Tough Mudder?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone ever done the Tough Mudder?

I'm thinking about doing the Tough Mudder in Austin this January. It looks pretty primal/crossfit in it's description. It's hard to get a read on how difficult it is. Of course the website touts it as the toughest event on the planet, but I'm wondering if anyone here has participated and what you thought. Thanks!

I have never done it but my good friend has. She loved it!! She thougth it rocked, seriously. She had me considering it but I have some time before it comes back round this area. She is athletic but she is not a maniac or anything the average runner stamina and she did fine with it.
    ~*Lori*~
    my Primal journal : http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...-momofredheads
    my food blog http://iamhungrywhatsfordinner.blogspot.com/

SW 231 as of 1/1/2012
    CW 192

Comment

I am realllllly considering it. Like I look at the website a few times a week. Not sure about running 10 miles though. I twisted my knee at a 5k mud run last week and it made me even more apprehensive. According to the site it is very challenging. I see very few women in the photos, unlike smaller mudruns.

Comment

I did the MuddyBuddy in Dallas two years ago. It was only a challenge because I pushed myself, but was not a difficult course. It was at Joe Pool lake.

Comment

I suspect the mudder is hard as hell. Hope to do Seattle next year.

Comment

Muddy buddy, warrior dash, et al seem pretty mild compared to the tough mudder. They aren't super challenging for anyone in decent shape IMO.
            There is a warrior dash in Austin nov 20,21st. Maybe try it out and assess your ability to do 10 miles after that?

Comment

I am sorry but you might be a little disappointed, 1: DONT believe the hype, I did the first tough mudder in bear valley, It was 4 miles NOT 7 I Gps'd on my watch along with several others, there were huge line ups, 45 minutes because the obstacle could only hold 1 person at a time, the parking and generally everything about the day was hugely disorganized, I have done several other events like the warrior dash and the spartan race who I may say are hugely more organised and as tough. I later learned they have 2 lawsuits against them by the British Tough Guy Event as they took photos and claimed it was their event and generally stole the whole concept from them. BEWARE $180 for a 4 mile fun run with obstacles is WAY over priced.

Comment

Originally posted by sam_hale View Post
                I am sorry but you might be a little disappointed, 1: DONT believe the hype, I did the first tough mudder in bear valley, It was 4 miles NOT 7 I Gps'd on my watch along with several others, there were huge line ups, 45 minutes because the obstacle could only hold 1 person at a time, the parking and generally everything about the day was hugely disorganized, I have done several other events like the warrior dash and the spartan race who I may say are hugely more organised and as tough. I later learned they have 2 lawsuits against them by the British Tough Guy Event as they took photos and claimed it was their event and generally stole the whole concept from them. BEWARE $180 for a 4 mile fun run with obstacles is
                WAY over priced.
                Disappointing.

Comment

Reply from Tough Mudder

Same_Hale:
                  We are sorry that your first experience with Tough Mudder did not live up to your expectations. We do recognize that, depending on when participants arrived at the event, some people experienced lines at obstacles and delays with parking lot shuttle buses. We assure you that we have examined these issues closely and fixed them going forward. We just finished our NorCal event this month with 5,000 participants, and had no lines at obstacles and smooth operations (parking, registration, etc.)
                  We also increased course length and amped up obstacle difficulty. We expect record turnout in NJ this November and the TOUGHEST Tough Mudder yet!

Saturday event fees start at $100 for early birds and increase every other month leading up to the event. Sunday event fees are always $20 less than the Saturday price, and we also have several discounts to take advantage of: Up to $10 off for participants registering as part of a team, and $25 off for Mudders who agree to raise money for our official charity partner, the Wounded Warrior Project. The event is only $180 if you register under the "Late Registration" price... Saturday entry only, within one week of event day.

Kyle46N: We hope you'll try it out in Austin this January!

Originally posted by sam_hale View Post
                  I am sorry but you might be a little disappointed, 1: DONT believe the hype, I did the first tough mudder in bear valley, It was 4 miles NOT 7 I Gps'd on my watch along with several others, there were huge line ups, 45 minutes because the obstacle could only hold 1 person at a time, the parking and generally everything about the day was hugely disorganized, I have done several other events like the warrior dash and the spartan race who I may say are hugely more organised and as tough. I later learned they have 2 lawsuits against them by the British Tough Guy Event as they took photos and claimed it was their event and generally stole the whole concept from them. BEWARE $180 for a 4 mile fun run with obstacles is WAY over priced.

Comment

Thought you might be interested in this

http://blogs.forbes.com/mikeozanian/...-tough-mudder/

Comment

Hmmm this post looks rather like another post apparently made by Richard Lee the Marketing Director of Spartan Race. It seems Richard has a habit of bad mouthing other events. Shame on you, Richard - we thought you had moved on from these immature and unprofessional tactics . It really would be a better use of your time to be actually marketing your own events. And for the record, lines at any obstacle at Tough Mudder NorCal were never more than 8 minutes and the course was a full 7 miles. The comments above from 'Sam Hale' (aka Richard Lee) are nothing more than complete fabrications. Our advice: don't believe anything Spartan Race tells you.

Comment

I just signed up for Sunday in Austin!!

Comment

8 minute line at an obstacle? That's unacceptable. Any time I have to stop during a race is unacceptable....especially if that race is billed as one of the toughest, if not the toughest. This is the biggest question I have about this Tough Mudder race....stopping at the obstacles. All the toughness goes out the window, if I'm getting breaks at every obstacle.

Comment

Guys - this is a run. It is not a race - they make that clear on the website. They stress teamwork and having a good time over speed.

Also - 7 miles and expect to finish in about 2 to 2.5 hours. That's also not a race. It's a fun day.

I'm already signed up for the Colorado one next June. Looks like fun.
                            Never, never, never quit! -- Winston Churchill

Comment

@ColoradoSteve i totally agree with you--I did NJ, and there's no way anyone'll think this isn't tough. Only 78% of people finished. There were great obstacles, including REALLY cold water w/ underwater tunnels, the new and improved fire obstacle, the monkey bars, and of course the mystery obstacle with electric wires. I didn't have any issues w/ car parking issues or lines at obstacles--seriously, the lines were like 3-5 minutes when there were lines at all, but as you said, it's not a race. Also they've now raised over $600k for the Wounded Warrior Project. I'd say the best part of the day was the camaraderie--dudes helping you up muddy hills when you thought you'd never get there, etc.

Here are a bunch of the photos: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...d=121520047789
                              http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...d=121520047789

Comment

Working...
                              X