Getting over the hump

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting over the hump

OK - maybe this has been posted on before, but I haven't found it: how do you get motivated to exercise? My main motivation my whole life has been to get thin and to feel healthy. I feel healthy and am relatively slim right now - without exercise. I want to start a fitness plan though. Has anyone else gone through this? How do you get yourself motivated to start?

I like exercise once I have started, but getting there is proving to be difficult without the "I feel fat" catalyst....
    Last edited by goingprimal; 10-27-2010, 06:50 PM. Reason: Spelling

I'm (sort of) dealing with that. I'm thin enough, but with more jiggle than I want. Maybe find a goal? Like being able to do x push-ups, pull-ups and squats? Maybe find a workout video from some other Primals, and say "I want to be able to do THAT" and do it, until you can do it like them.

Comment

+1

Instead of looking at fitness as work, look at it as improvement.
      Every Day is a New Adventure

Comment

Diana, that is a great idea. I HAVE always wanted to do a pull-up (or chin-up - either one really) and have NEVER been able to do it. I remember in the 'Presidential Fitness Test' in elementary school, I could run a seven minute mile no problem, do all the situps and pushups they wanted, but 0 pull-ups, even then. That is something to shoot for!

Comment

Finding a goal is a great motivator. Like many of you guys/girls that want to achieve a pull-up I’m working towards a Muscle Up (Al Kavadlo explains: http://www.alkavadlo.com/2009/11/muscle-ups/) so that’s my main motivator to do weighted chin ups, weighted dips, and train things like explosive pull-ups as Al recommends, and other such exercises.

Once I achieve the muscle up, I guess I’ll just do more of them, and start the road to another bodyweight feat. I was able to do a pistol pretty early on and with minimal leg training (much to my surprise) but it’s still very wobbly so another goal is tightening that up and getting more (good) reps. Lastly, I want to get a free-standing handstand and hold that for as long as I can. Balancing work is really cool and inspirational to me. It’s all about goals, training just to look good can be a goal, but it’s less tangible than being able to do X and Y.
          I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

I completely understand what you mean... finding the motivation is the tricky part.... you know you should do something but for some reason you just cant get off your ass to do it...

How about the 100 pushup challenge...
            http://hundredpushups.com/

Comment

Originally posted by goingprimal View Post
              Diana, that is a great idea. I HAVE always wanted to do a pull-up (or chin-up - either one really) and have NEVER been able to do it. I remember in the 'Presidential Fitness Test' in elementary school, I could run a seven minute mile no problem, do all the situps and pushups they wanted, but 0 pull-ups, even then. That is something to shoot for!
              I'm still working on getting that first one myself. OMG it's hard! It'll be a great challenge for you. Right now my challenge is to go through all 3 levels of 30 Day Shred again, since I've gotten soft over the last several months.

Comment

martial arts can be an intense & varied workout, you learn self-defense skills, train w/others, and have the different belts to move through as motivation....

Comment

I think about what I need to be strong enough to do.

I'm 5'3" and female. Every summer, I need to stack 25 tons of hay in 100 pound bales, 6-8 levels high. By myself.

Excuse me while I head to my gym!

ETA: Having a nice butt comes in handy at times, too.
                  Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Comment

"strong people are harder to kill and generally more useful than weak people"

Comment

Originally posted by BarbeyGirl View Post
                      I think about what I need to be strong enough to do.

I'm 5'3" and female. Every summer, I need to stack 25 tons of hay in 100 pound bales, 6-8 levels high. By myself.

Excuse me while I head to my gym!

ETA: Having a nice butt comes in handy at times, too.
                      You are an inspiration! I sit on my arse most of the time, so the things I need to do don't require much effort. Maybe I need a kick-butt side job or hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by goingprimal View Post

I like exercise once I have started, but getting there is proving to be difficult without the "I feel fat" catalyst....
                        I think your own words are a key statement. All you have to do is open the door and step through. I work out a lot but many times I really don't want to. I too need to get motivated but I've been doing this for many many years so I know the secret. Just "start" doing something....anything. When I don't feel like it then I just say, " ok, let me just do a few pushups and crunches and that's all." Next thing I know I'm doing body weight squats also. Then before I know it I say...ok...just a few curls. By the time all is said and done I've done a whole weight workout as well as some kettlebell!!

Once you get started you like it right? So just start! Besides....the longer you go without then the more you will become that person who has to fight your way back into shape. It happens fast.

Comment

My goal is simply to "be strong to be useful".
                          It was my goal over 2 years ago when I started Parkour and I'm still working towards it, I know I'll never be so strong that I can't get stronger, when you feel you're as strong as you can get or are as good at something as you think you can be, that's when you stop improving.
                          Obviously I have smaller goals, but my overarching one is simply to "be strong", it's a neverending goal, it's what keeps me going.
                          Here's my resolve.

Comment

Working...
                          X