Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

5k run in three weeks, best way to train?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5k run in three weeks, best way to train?

I've been asked to do a 5k run on Nov. 15th. I've accepted and was wondering what's the best way to train for such a thing? I don't run now, only brisk walking and weight lifting. Last year when I was 244, I was running about 5k on a treadmill but that was long ago and at a heavier set. So, is there a way to train for it without killing my shins on a treadmill beforehand?

Buy a pair if vibrams. What I did was run 5k one day at a fast-ish clip (7mph?) and the next day I would do hill intervals at a slower pace (5?)

I can't stress enough using minimalist footwear. Oh...I was able to run mine in 24:47, and I am sort of a fatty.

Comment

7! That's fast, to me. I do 6 at most from what I remember. I'm thinking more like 5 - 5.5, a modest pace, but also a sustainable one.

Comment

Vibrams can really hurt and chafe your feet until you get used to them, especially if you start with a 5k in them.

5k isn't such a big deal, though. I think you should try a 2k run this week, a 4k the next, and then a 5k the next. Throw in a couple sprinting sessions, too.
        You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

It is CW that you need to train for a 5k. I run a 5k race about every other month and have done no more then sprints 1/week and then my regular body weight routine. I consistantly run under 22 minutes. Unless you really enjoy running there is no need to do any regular mileage. It also keeps you from getting the chronic injuries that plague runners.
          Check out my primal blog: http://primalroar.posterous.com/

Comment

Vibram themselves warn against going too far too fast right away. I think to run a 5K just 3 weeks after getting them is a setup for injury. And I'm a huge VFF fan.
            Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
            Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Comment

Lots and lots of sprints and intervals. On hills when possible. I never run more than 800 meters at a time at my gym, and rarely that much and I can easily run a 5k when I need to.

Comment

I agree with the minimalist shoe recommendation. I think that people should ease into running, period, regardless of what kind of footwear they have. I would do a program like Couch-to-5K or Hal Higdon's novice 5K program (though you can start on a more advanced week if you'd like) and do the race as a walk-run. I see no reason to do sprints at this point in terms of 5K training; sprints are considered speedwork, and I would focus on actually running 5K without stopping, it's silly to work on getting your 5K time down when you're not even completing the distance yet!
                My food blog ~ http://stuffimakemyhusband.blogspot.com
                My primal success story

"Boxing seems to contain so complete and so powerful an image of life -- life's beauty, vulnerability, despair, incalculable and often self-destructive courage -- that boxing IS life, and hardly a mere game." --Joyce Carol Oates

Comment

All good recommendations! I'm going to ease into it this week by running 2k a couple of times, then advancing up from there each week. Thanks to all!

Comment

Speaking of the Vibrams, I love mine, but I made the mistake of running a 5k way too early (2 or 3 weeks), and my right calf was TOAST for several weeks after it...

Be warned..

Comment

Originally posted by afsjesse View Post
                      All good recommendations! I'm going to ease into it this week by running 2k a couple of times, then advancing up from there each week. Thanks to all!
                      Also, you don't really have to run the whole thing. It's 3 miles so not long but can be challenging it being your first time. I did a few back in the day, I used to do almost daily 5k's before finding MDA though, and I didn't stop because of MDA but I started strength training instead. I belonged to the "run the weigh off but eat however you want" camp..

Just start walking the 3 miles, then jog some sections, honestly I wouldn't even really "train" specifically for it, just start getting used to the distance and like I said, try to jog a mile, walk a quarter/half mile, jog again, etc. I'm assuming this is an "event" 5k like for a cause? tons of people walk 5k's, push yourself, but don't injure yourself needlessly.
                      I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

I ran a 5K a couple weeks ago and didn't do any running training for it. I ran my first 5K in March and did Couch to 5K to prepare. Time difference between the two was 90 seconds - the first one was faster BUT I ran the first one in regular running shoes and the second one in Vibrams. I was definitely holding back my pace b/c I was worried about finishing in the VFFs since I'd never run that distance in them before. Without holding back, I think I could have beat my first 5K time. Bonus: I really enjoy running in VFFs, whereas running in regular shoes is pretty much torture for me. Sucky part: my calves were toast for about a week.

I think if you have an otherwise good training program, a 5K at a moderate pace shouldn't be a problem even without any specific running training.
                        Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Comment

Here's my opinion:
                          1) Run 3x/week. If you are shooting for a specific time then do some sprints/hill work but if you're just going to have fun, then just run easy. Make sure that you can run at least 2.5 miles if not the full 3.1 miles prior to the race.
                          2) If you are trying to post a PR, then do 1 sprint workout a week (1 min walk, 2 min easy jog, 30 sec sprint - repeat for 3 miles). Then do 1 hill or tempo work out. Tempo = running slightly harder than you think you can run but you have to be able to maintain that pace. And, do 1 "long run" which, for a 5k, would probably be 4 miles.
                          2) Wear good shoes. I've not done the minimalist thing although I find it intriguing.
                          3) Have fun. Walk if you need to. There's no "run-police" on the course that's going to issue you a ticket if you walk. Again, unless you're trying to win your age group or post a new PR, then just go have fun.

My thoughts.
                          Darlena

Comment

Sorry...three weeks is not enough time to ease into vibrams. Not really enough time to train for 5k either.

Comment

Originally posted by Lojasmo View Post
                              Sorry...three weeks is not enough time to ease into vibrams. Not really enough time to train for 5k either.
                              +1 on the vibrams. You shouldn't be thinking of running a 5k in VFFs for several months of wearing VFFs.

Don't quite agree on the time to train. If you're routinely walking long distances, are in reasonably good shape and do sprints periodically, should be relatively easy. If you were a couch potato, I'd agree with Lojasmo, but if you're moving a lot already, shouldn't be too bad.

Comment

Working...
                              X