Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help! I'm a loooong way from that first pullup! What's an older woman gotta do?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! I'm a loooong way from that first pullup! What's an older woman gotta do?

I've watched Mark's videos and bought the doorway pullup bar, but no way can I do more than simply hang for a second or two. How is this 57 year old Mama Grok gonna get to the top of the bar?

Are there some transitional exercises that are specifically designed for (out of shape) women to build our upper bodies?

Do you have Primal Fitness?? In there he has a whole progression series to get to pullups. I'm there with you, mamagrok!!!

Comment

There was a whole thread on this a few weeks ago. Personally, I achieved the pull-up goal by using the Gravitron machine, although everyone else seems to think it's a piece of junk. (I'm 52, and I did my first one about 5 years ago.)

Comment

Woody Bands!

Comment

I see a lot of comments coming down the pike like ,"that was posted before", " find that under someone else's posts", and so on. That is great to refer people to previous posts where the topic was discussed and rehashed. Odd thing is that we could enter a first reply to just about any and all new threads------"that was posted before" followed by "use the search function of blog and threads"

Let's just close up and go home. If something new comes up the worker bees can send us all an e-mail.
          Tayatha om bekandze

Bekandze maha bekandze

Randza samu gate soha

Comment

Really wanted to post the following: Instead of a pull up, try a "lower down", ie, get on a chair or bench and grasp the pull up bar in the "raised" position, then gradually lower yourself. Someday you will probably get up there without the chair or bench. Another thing is to try pulling up from the floor with your body making a fulcrum, ie, heels on the floor and pulling up---think of a push up in reverse. Maybe some physical culturist will have real names and even pictures of techniques these moves.

I think that someone posted this before.
            Tayatha om bekandze

Bekandze maha bekandze

Randza samu gate soha

Comment

Originally posted by lolov View Post
              Do you have Primal Fitness?? In there he has a whole progression series to get to pullups. I'm there with you, mamagrok!!!
              Yes I have it, but am nowhere near Step 1...

Comment

Originally posted by periquin View Post
                I see a lot of comments coming down the pike like ,"that was posted before", " find that under someone else's posts"...(snip)
                Let's just close up and go home. If something new comes up the worker bees can send us all an e-mail.
                Heheh, exactly. My take is, it's a lot more helpful to actually LINK to that thread.
                http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...hich-is-better

Sure, people could use search themselves and find it... maybe... but here I am with the thread in-hand courtesy of my subscriptions folder. So why not...
                "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Comment

Would you happen to have access to a Smith machine? Gym? Gym at work? That is how I am doing mine (modified version). If I can do this, you can definitely do this! Both feet stay firmly on the ground. If you can get to a Smith machine somehow, let me know and I'll post further instructions.
                  "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Comment

Originally posted by Jenny View Post
                    ... but here I am with the thread in-hand courtesy of my subscriptions folder. So why not...
                    Oooh, I didn't know about subscribing to threads. What a useful tool. I keep wondering how I'm going to remember all the really great threads that have useful info in them.
                    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
                    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Comment

Video on how to do (modified) pull-ups (and push-ups) using the Smith machine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNaEsblExxw

Even if you don't have access to a Smith machine, you can still do this if you have some kind of stable, sturdy bar at roughly your chest height (tree branch??)
                      "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Comment

Originally posted by Adrianag View Post
                        I've watched Mark's videos and bought the doorway pullup bar, but no way can I do more than simply hang for a second or two. How is this 57 year old Mama Grok gonna get to the top of the bar?

Are there some transitional exercises that are specifically designed for (out of shape) women to build our upper bodies?
                        I am right with you! Even when I was younger and a lot lighter, I was never able to do a pull-up. Here are several options:

1. If you go to a gym, you can use the assisted pull-up machine. Basically, you put in how much of your weight you want the machine to "lift" for you and you only have to pull up the rest. For example, if you weight 150 pounds, and you put the pin at 100, you would only be "pulling up" 50 pounds. As that gets easier, you lessen the weight the machine lifts for you.

2. If you have access to a door (and who doesn't), you can buy a resistance band with handles and the accessory that fits in the door jam (you need to close the door :-)). You can buy bands online that go up pretty high in simulated weight.

3. if you have weight equipment at home, you can do lying/supine "pull-ups." I have Cathe Friedrich's Turbo Tower (manufactured by Altus). It is PERFECT for this.

4. Stand on a chair under your doorway pull-up bar and ATTEMPT a pull-up to the best of your ability. Don't hang. Keep feet on the chair for stability but don't press up into the pull-up (you might need to squat down). Even attempting a pull-up recruits the muscles necessary to complete a pull-up.

5. Realize at this point, you are not able to do a pull-up, don't sweat it, and do other exercises (like lat rows/lawnmowers) that work the same muscles.

Good luck to you in whatever you choose!

Carrie

Comment

Originally posted by lizch View Post
                          Oooh, I didn't know about subscribing to threads. What a useful tool. I keep wondering how I'm going to remember all the really great threads that have useful info in them.
                          Subscriptions are awesome. Whenever you reply to something, click "Go Advanced" and then you can choose your subscription method and a folder to throw it into. I always choose "through my control panel only" since emails can get overwhelming. I have one folder for reference, one for recipes, one for journals, and the generic subscription folder for everything else.

And you can still see all your subscriptions at once rather than check five folders -- just use this link: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...?&folderid=all

Oh and, if you don't want to post but do want to subscribe, just use Thread Tools above to do the same thing.

P.S.: As for the original thread -- we bought some Woody Bands to do assisted pull-ups. Haven't actually tried them yet because it feels weird on my pregnant belly, but afterward? I'm SO there.
                          Last edited by Jenny; 10-25-2010, 05:44 PM.
                          "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Comment

i worked my way up to pullups by doing the same thing you do with pushups, but upside down...you know how you do a girl pushup, then against a wall, then against things until you work your way down to a man pushup...well for pull ups i found a bar and posted it should width horizontally in front of my shoulders, then i let myself hang down from the bar with my feet on the ground in front of me. you can adjust how hard it is by how much push you give your feet off the ground... and now i can do pull ups!
                            Get on my Level
                            http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by periquin View Post
                              I see a lot of comments coming down the pike like ,"that was posted before", " find that under someone else's posts", and so on. That is great to refer people to previous posts where the topic was discussed and rehashed. Odd thing is that we could enter a first reply to just about any and all new threads------"that was posted before" followed by "use the search function of blog and threads"

I did search, read all of the related posts and did not find them very helpful. Only then did I post. SpecificallyI think there must be some 3 or 4 exercises that allow women to build up to where Mark starts his progression.

Comment

Working...
                              X