Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need Tabata Ideas? Try This One And Post Your Own Faves...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nick, how about tabata MDA forum posts? that's the one I do. It is a great finger work out. LOL. It's friday afternoon --- gotta have some fun.

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

Comment

Just because someone doesn't sustain 170% of VO2 max doesn't mean they can't get good results. I don't know any figures, but when Tabatas where a regular part of my routine I made huge anaerobic conditioning strides.

Like someone mentioned, we call them Tabatas because of the 20/10 time just to make it easy. Personally I use them in a work capacity format, where I will note how many reps of each exercise I averaged per 20 secs and the next time I do them, I try to increase the reps/20 secs.

Comment

For those who have joint problems like me, maybe you could try swimming! My Tabata swimming workout is:

Repeat 8x for Breast stroke, then 8x for Freestyle:

Swim 40 meters all-out (heart rate goes to 165, takes about 35 seconds). Wait about 20 seconds for heart rate to reduce to below 140, then go again.

You can adjust to 20 meters, 25 meters, 40 meters or 50 meters depending on your ability. I vary the workout by changing my rest periods, sometimes alternating between 15s and 25s rest periods.

I do this work out AFTER my 20 minute weighlifting routine. Total time invested is 1 hour, and I do it twice a week. With this intensity level, you have to let your body recover!

BTW, I bought a $35 Timex HR monitor at Costco, and it works great in water. Most expensive heart rate monitors do not work well in water. You don't even need a HRM, just listen to your body!

Comment

I like the tabata sledgehammer on a tire idea.

Nick, what workouts are you doing if you think that Crossfit workouts are so easy they involve tea cozies...? That's just crazy talk.

Also, what the heck's a "fainting couch". Are you from the 1800's?

I do agree with you with regards to the intent and greater effectiveness of tabatas being done with 20 seconds of work using simple exerwith little or no weights.

Comment

Sorry, I was just trying to make a point about people using isolation exercises to attempt to reach a Tabata level of exertion. I know Crossfit's no joke. Doesn't mean you can do 20 seconds of really hard wrist curls and have it be 170%VO2max.

Comment

Just because lots of people call a 20/10 time pattern Tabata doesn't mean they should call it that. As Nick said, it's *not* a Tabata Protocol unless you're doing it exactly like the study. There's really no wiggle room here. I've played around with them on a stationary bike (and tried to do them on my singlespeed bike) and it's not an easy protocol to do.

A really good interval protocol I use (not Tabata) is 35/35 seconds x 14 sets of two handed swings with a heavy kettlebell. Two handed swings are a lot more effective (for me) than one handers if your goal is a killer, max HR interval workout.

bruce.b

Comment

Nick, I agree with you. I was just giving you a hard time...but I forget sometimes that people in a forum don't know me or my sense of humor and that humor doesn't always translate well in type.

Comment

bruce, I do agree, eg bodyweight squats won't get my HR up enough to call it tabata at all. I also like the two handed swings, works for me

Comment

Here's a great explanation on tabata intervals, from strength coach Dan John: http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/the_tabata_method

He recommends front squats and thrusters. They are killers. I've used rope skipping, medicine ball slams, cycling on a stationary bike, KB swings, bodyweight squats. I want to try the sledgehammer on a tire. Whole-body exercises work best.

I live in Tokyo. If I find Prof. Izumi Tabata, I'll try and interview him but he may only give me 20 seconds of his time.

Comment

http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_a..._faster_longer The author I mentioned above now says tabata thrusters are too hard and squats are best.

Comment

Working...
                      X