Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This morning my Polar told me that...(and a question)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This morning my Polar told me that...(and a question)

I was no longer 'fairly fit', I am now 'adequately' fit! One more Fitness OwnIndex point and I'll be in the 'good' zone - I've only had the thing a week!

This is good. Sarah likes this.

And, I know it doesn't mean anything (because I know we're not supposed to judge how many cals we burn) but I've gone from burning 3.25 cals/min last week to 5.5kcals/min this. Though, disappointingly, only my fitness is improving this week, not my fat burning (though this does beg the question, if I'm not burning fat, what am I burning? I'm never coming out of Zone 2 (except when I sprint). Zone 2 is between 60 and 75% max HR, which I thought was the 'golden' FBZ? The most it's ever told me I've burnt, fat-wise, is 42% - so what was it burning the other 58% of the time...?)

It's a Polar FT60, if anyone knows anything about 'em...
    La tristesse durera toujours...

Well done Sarah. Try and focus on the general pattern and flow of the numbers, not each and every one; ebbs and peaks

Comment

Originally posted by Shrinking_Violet View Post
      so what was it burning the other 58% of the time...?)
      You're burning glycogen (stored sugar), which is your body's primary energy supply. You're probably also burning a bit of protein. Regardless of intensity, your body is almost always using a combination of fuel sources.

Originally posted by chronyx View Post
      Well done Sarah. Try and focus on the general pattern and flow of the numbers, not each and every one; ebbs and peaks
      I concur.
      "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

sigpic

Comment

Hi Sarah,
        The Polar %fat burning is just an estimate based on the %hr that you are training at. To figure out how much fat YOU are actually burning at various intensities requires a much more complicated test. If you're able to work harder and burn more calories at the same effort, you're definitely burning more fat too. Eating a lower carb diet will also generally cause a higher %fat utilization. So I wouldn't worry about it. Sounds like you are doing an awesome job getting fitter

Comment

Working...
        X