The Clean and Press

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Clean and Press

I've been meaning to blog about this exercise for a while and I finally now got around to it.

Do you ever do the Clean and Press in your workouts?
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

sigpic

with kettlebells
    http://kitoikitchen.blogspot.com/

Comment

Great movement. C & P and the deadlift are strength test lifts that I do on my once every 2-3 mos trips to the gym. C & P my bodyweight and deadlift 2x is my standard. Been performing C & Ps with kettlebells for years. Just recently added doubles work into my rotation. One of my variations with the barbell is to front squat after the clean, stand, and press.
      Last edited by primalclubber; 10-20-2010, 10:37 AM.

Comment

The clean and press is an outstanding lift.

In the words of Dan John, "If all you did was clean and press, you could be awesome."

That said, what you are demonstrating with both the barbell and kettlebells is the clean and push press, in fact, you are demonstrating a power clean/push press hybrid where the two lifts flow into each other.

The clean and press is a clean or power clean which finishes with you standing upright followed by a strict press. (ie no hip or knee movement at all in the press)

Both are fantastic lifts, but they are not the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by kitoi View Post
          with kettlebells
          word.

Originally posted by primalclubber View Post
          Great movement. C & P and the deadlift are strength test lifts that I do on my once every 2-3 mos trips to the gym. C & P my bodyweight and deadlift 2x is my standard. Been performing C & Ps with kettlebells for years. Just recently added doubles work into my rotation. One of my variations with the barbell is to front squat after the clean, stand, and press.
          It's a great lift to throw in now and again just to make sure you still got it. I like the clean/front squat combo too.

Originally posted by aussieluke View Post
          The clean and press is an outstanding lift.

In the words of Dan John, "If all you did was clean and press, you could be awesome."

That said, what you are demonstrating with both the barbell and kettlebells is the clean and push press, in fact, you are demonstrating a power clean/push press hybrid where the two lifts flow into each other.

The clean and press is a clean or power clean which finishes with you standing upright followed by a strict press. (ie no hip or knee movement at all in the press)

Both are fantastic lifts, but they are not the same thing.
          Thanks for the clarification. I'm not always so good with all the exact names of the different variations. I tend to put them all under the general umbrella of clean and press. It's like how I sometimes call a chin-up a pull-up.
          "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

sigpic

Comment

I do them with both kettlebells and barbells. I do different styles as well with a barbell - more Olympic style lifting. There is no better total body move. I love them.
            Christine
            Wag more, bark less

Comment

10 reps can REALLY get your blood going! Great way to wake up!
              I do these at home, and have witnessed significant strength gains. You can certainly use the clean and press for a "sprint eqivalent" - ie tabata style.

For functional strength and power, I consider this the most effective exercise. I do 3 sets of 10 reps with about 2/3 my bodyweight. That alone is a decent workout, in my opinion, especially if you're low on time...

Great content as always Al!

Comment

Clean and push press was the fourth lift I learned, right after the deadlift, high pull, and clean. (yup, I was learning Oly, and yes, the program was much like the 'rapid assent' program outlined in Dan John's exelent book, From the ground up.)
                A wonderfull lift with Barbells, Dumbells, (missed that variation in the vid, Al) Kettlebells, or even sandbags or random heavy objects.
                Well done!
                sigpicI'm not old, I'm Vintage!

Comment

I use Med Balls, Dumbbells, Kettlebells, plates, rocks, bars and anything I can think of to do the lift. I love O-lifting and generally do the lift for warm-ups with light weight, or break down the movement into dl, shrug, high pull, power clean, hang clean, high hang clean and front squat. Then I do push press, push jerk and behind the back jerks along with split jerks. Lots of technique and fantastic for short high intensity workouts!

Comment

I do Clean + squat + press with heavy sandbags as a regular part of my workout (clean the bag, squat, then a strict press)

Comment

Here is a link to a great article and a fantastic workout by Jim Schmitz. This workout looks easy on paper, but it really isn't, and conservative weight selection is important. I bet if you did nothing but this workout once or twice a week, good things would happen.

http://www.ironmind.com/ironmind/ope..._one_lift.html

Comment

Originally posted by Andtckrtoo View Post
                        I do them with both kettlebells and barbells. I do different styles as well with a barbell - more Olympic style lifting. There is no better total body move. I love them.
                        Right on - there are so many variations on the "pick a heavy weight up over your head" concept. It's good to mix it up with different styles.

Originally posted by goneprimal View Post
                        10 reps can REALLY get your blood going! Great way to wake up!
                        I do these at home, and have witnessed significant strength gains. You can certainly use the clean and press for a "sprint eqivalent" - ie tabata style.

For functional strength and power, I consider this the most effective exercise. I do 3 sets of 10 reps with about 2/3 my bodyweight. That alone is a decent workout, in my opinion, especially if you're low on time...

Great content as always Al!
                        Thanks! If you've only got time for one exercise, the clean and press is certainly a great choice. And like you said, if you do enough reps it can definitely be used as a nice sprinting alternative.

Originally posted by 979roadrunner View Post
                        Clean and push press was the fourth lift I learned, right after the deadlift, high pull, and clean. (yup, I was learning Oly, and yes, the program was much like the 'rapid assent' program outlined in Dan John's exelent book, From the ground up.)
                        A wonderfull lift with Barbells, Dumbells, (missed that variation in the vid, Al) Kettlebells, or even sandbags or random heavy objects.
                        Well done!
                        Sounds like you must have had a good coach starting out!

Sandbags, dumbbells, etc are great ways to do the clean and press, maybe I'll do a separate post about non-traditional C&P at some point down the line.

Originally posted by kmacphee View Post
                        I use Med Balls, Dumbbells, Kettlebells, plates, rocks, bars and anything I can think of to do the lift. I love O-lifting and generally do the lift for warm-ups with light weight, or break down the movement into dl, shrug, high pull, power clean, hang clean, high hang clean and front squat. Then I do push press, push jerk and behind the back jerks along with split jerks. Lots of technique and fantastic for short high intensity workouts!
                        That sounds like a very thorough workout!

Originally posted by claude512 View Post
                        I do Clean + squat + press with heavy sandbags as a regular part of my workout (clean the bag, squat, then a strict press)
                        Nice! Sandbags are much harder to maneuver than weights - but I guess you don't need me to tell you that.

Originally posted by aussieluke View Post
                        Here is a link to a great article and a fantastic workout by Jim Schmitz. This workout looks easy on paper, but it really isn't, and conservative weight selection is important. I bet if you did nothing but this workout once or twice a week, good things would happen.

http://www.ironmind.com/ironmind/ope..._one_lift.html
                        That is a good program. I like how he gradually takes the load off the shoulders as they fatigue by switching from military presses to push presses to jerks as the sets go on.

sigpic

Comment

C&P with kettlebells is the staple of Pavel's programs from his kettlebell books. Recently finished the Rite of Passage C&P component (75 reps per arm) with a 32kg. Brutal. Trying to motivate myself now to do doubles work, which is exhausting as well.

Comment

Pavel is the man - that sounds like a hell of a workout! Are the 75 reps all one set?

sigpic

Comment

Once a week. I feel it has really helped to keep my core, front and back, healthy and stable. Of course the benefits to your shoulders goes without saying.

Comment

Working...
                              X