Sick for Over A Week

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sick for Over A Week

I've been crossfitting for 2 1/2 to 3 years now and the longest break I've ever taken consecutively would be around 4 days.

I've had acute tonsilitis for the past week and it could be as long as another week until I'm okay enough to start hitting the WoDs again.

I feel so absolutely disgusting right now not having exerted myself in almost two weeks and I am going to go crazy if I don't get well enough to WoD soon!

Can I expect to have regressed a lot during this period? How can I most quickly bring myself back up to speed?

Sorry to hear of your illness, Rivvin. I think you're first workout or two back you might feel like you've regressed a lot, but if you have years of consistency behind you, it shouldn't take long to start progressing again.

Think of it this way, if you'd been sedentary for the last several years, would you suddenly be fit after a week or two of exercise?
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

sigpic

Comment

Sounds rough Could all that sauerkraut have irritated your throat and left it prone to infection?

A trainer friend of mine says that after a 2 week break, it takes 6 weeks to regain the same strength. Could just be CW though--never seen a study on it.

Hope you feel better soon!
      Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
      Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Comment

two whole weeks? surely your muscles are mush by now.

freakin a, dude. take a break.

anecdotal evidence: i went TWO WHOLE WEEKS without lifting before. my strength actually improved when i got back on it.

recovery is important, and sometimes that's not just one or two rest days, either.
        sigpic

HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

Comment

Alright Alright, I suddenly feel foolish! I guess I'm just antsy from being so sedentary, thanks for slapping some sense back into me!

Comment

What batty said.

Also, have you tried gargling with warm salt water? Always seems to do the trick for me and my tonsils.

Comment

You're STILL sick? Crap! I was looking over your antibiotic recovery thread and wondering how you were doing. All I have for you (beyond what was said in the other thread) is sympathy. Ugh.
              "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Comment

Originally posted by Jenny View Post
                You're STILL sick? Crap! I was looking over your antibiotic recovery thread and wondering how you were doing. All I have for you (beyond what was said in the other thread) is sympathy. Ugh.
                Lol, yes, my tonsils are still ungodly swollen and disgusting looking. It's been over a week now and I'm just barely starting to get better. This has really been a crummy sickness, whatever it is.

Salt water has helped a little bit, though, in regards to pain.

Comment

I takes like a solid week of working out to be back to "normal".

Comment

Sorry about sickness

Well, your being sick also has a lot to do with your body needing rest. I go through spurts of not sleeping for more than 3 hours for days on end. Eventually I collapse. Enjoy your time off as best as you can and you'll be back to normal in no time.

You will not turn to much in a week or two...or even a month. Relax and you'll heal faster!

Be safe!

Comment

Could this be related to the pork and sauerkraut incident?
                      http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

Comment

It could be! This could be sauerkrauts way of saying "F U Buddy"

Comment

No I think your epic farts and shits were the sauerkraut's way of saying "F U Buddy."
                          You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

What happened to not stressing out & enjoying life? You have your whole life ahead of you. Many people would say that your body is trying to tell you something. As soon as you are well you will get back on point quiker than you think. Muscle memory is amazing. Feel better
                            "Don't dream it, be it"

-Dr. Frank-N-Furter

Comment

Working...
                            X