Slackline! Great form of Play

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slackline! Great form of Play

As I have been reading I have noticed that alot of people have the same issue as I do. Low intensity cardio is boring! I like to walk as much as the next person but sometimes it just gets boring and I want something to change it up!

Well as you know the primal blueprint says to Play and to do the low intensity cardio, lift heavy things, andddd do some high intensity every once in a while too.

I think i found the perfect thing to combine all of those and it's pretty primal in itself. I mean Grok could have built one of these things if he wanted to!

What I found is called Slacklining and it's done on a SLACKLINE. Basically it's a tie down strap/ratchet strap whatever you want to call them, run between two trees or poles level to the ground. Between 1 and 2 feet off the ground is good. You use the ratchet to get all the slack out and make it really tight, then you can walk on it, stand on it, balance on it, do pushups on it, or if you get really daring like some of my friends do flips off of it. Just don't break your neck though please!

Caution: After doing this for a couple hours, you will have sore muscles on muscles you didn't know you had.
    Warning: May significantly increase your ability to surf, ski, snowboard, balance, skateboard, and pass sobriety tests.

Sooo has anyone ever done this or am I the only one?
    "It is your responsibility to control the outcome"
    "In our society, people respect weight loss. Even if you do nothing cool or interesting or memorable for the rest of your life, you'll have done that."
    "Is a brief moment on the lips, worth a long time on the hips?"

love it, in college (at CU Boulder) we would spend hours and hours every day slacklining...havent done it in a year or so (moved to CA and no backyard)...good stuff, i was pretty good after a couple years, could surf the line, jumping 180s and 360s. no flips though...i could jump mount too up to about 40" off the ground

Comment

Nice! I keep practicing but I'm not getting much better. Parts of my body ache that i didn't even know I was working though so I guess once I develop these muscles more I'll get better. It is insanely fun though haha. I love it.
      "In our society, people respect weight loss. Even if you do nothing cool or interesting or memorable for the rest of your life, you'll have done that."

Comment

I want so badly to try this! I'm hoping my tai chi balance skills will help. It looks like a fun challenge.

Comment

Must. Try. This.

HOW did I not think of this? It's brilliant! I can totally see me AND the boy have waaaay too much fun-and the occasional crash-with this.

Tonight, I mow.
          Tomorrow-slackline!
          Chief cook & bottle washer for one kid, a dog, 6 hens, 2 surprise! roosters, two horses, and a random 'herd' of quail.

~The ultimate ignorance is the rejection of something one knows nothing about and refuses to investigate~

Comment

It is insanely challenging. I tried doing it barefoot and with shoes. Barefoot it hurt my feet so I switched back to shoes. Now I ordered a pair of those Vibram barefoot shoes and i am excited to see how well they do. I was much better at it barefoot so we shall see. It is really fun to do and all my friends and their littler siblings have loved coming over to mess around on it. I do P90X yoga so I am anxious to see if slacklining has helped my balance. I'm willing to bet that it has. Plus my leg muscles have never been so sore.

Comment

we had one at our grokfeast in florida, everyone really enjoyed it.
              Starting Weight : 338lbs 6/11/2010
              Current Weight: 266lbs
              High-school Weight: 235lbs
              Goal: ????

Comment

Sounds awesome, and definitely something I'd love to try! Are you using actual ratchet straps or the specialized slacklining stuff?
                The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

Comment

Originally posted by theholla View Post
                  Sounds awesome, and definitely something I'd love to try! Are you using actual ratchet straps or the specialized slacklining stuff?
                  Don'tcha love thread revival!?!

I started this sport yesterday for the first time. Last week, I pored over this website, and even bought the items he recommends in the "stuff you need" link. These days it cost me $80 (vs the $65 it cost him 5 years ago). Although I woke up this morning with a sore right foot, I am hoping to get past it so I can continue to learn to do this sport. It just seems like such an accomplishment!! My wife and I tried this for about 5 or 10 minutes before we were both sweating and sore. I can't wait to be able to do it (although I will say that I can see it will take a lonnng time to even stand on the line). I am not discouraged by that, only more motivated by the challenge!
                  Last edited by PBNewby; 05-12-2013, 04:35 AM. Reason: added parens
                  Began Primal Living: 25 Sep 2012
                  Starting Weight: 82kg (180 lbs) - Lost 30 lbs since going Primal!

"I do not eat enough carbs to justify eating low-fat."
                  "Have some bread with your bread, pasta, bread, and HFCS." - Unicorn
                  "I also walk my dog twice a day now instead of paying someone else to do it." - IronGirl
                  "Tell me you're not weak minded enough to be outsmarted by a donut?" - not on the rug

Comment

Originally posted by PBNewby View Post
                    Last week, I pored over this website, and even bought the items he recommends in the "stuff you need" link.
                    Hey - thanks for the link, I've been wanting to do slack for awhile and had been using this site but I like the look of yours too:

Slacklining For Beginners – Step by Step | Slackline HiveFly

However, I am still laughing at something Ryano said....P90X has YOGA?! I'm trying to imagine; a hip-hop beat driven energetic yoga that gives you abs? It all seems so hilarious to me. I knew they used it for stretching and balance but somehow P90X offering yoga sounds .... funny.

“you aren't what you eat - you are what you don't poop.” Wavy Gravy

Today I am Fillyjonk. Tommorow I will be Snufkin.

Comment

I just purchased a slackline on clearance from REI. Haven't had a chance to try it yet, but I'm looking forward to it. I don't have a great location to use it in my yard so I have to find a good location at a park. I'm planning to install wall anchors on opposite ends of my basement where I have my home gym so that I can also slackline indoors.

Originally posted by spk View Post
                      However, I am still laughing at something Ryano said....P90X has YOGA?! I'm trying to imagine; a hip-hop beat driven energetic yoga that gives you abs? It all seems so hilarious to me. I knew they used it for stretching and balance but somehow P90X offering yoga sounds .... funny.
                      Clearly, you've never done any serious yoga. Power yoga is an great way to build strength and the P90X yoga video is a killer!

Peace,
                      Karen

Comment

We have one of these at my new gym. Haven't had a strong enough desire to make a fool of myself yet. Maybe next week.
                        The above should be viewed as complete and utter nonsense.

Comment

I got mine last summer. Had much fun and learned to stand on the line, walk a few metres, sit, lay, roll off... Standing is the trickiest part. Did it all barefoot. Love that tickling feeling in the soles of the feet after an hour or so on the line.
                          After the vacation continued during lunctimes in a park near to my job: packed the line in a diplomatic looking suitcase and a few office ladies joined me every day (weather permitting). We are all about 40-55 years old. Decided that the line is way safer than a horse - it doesn't spook from rustling trash bags. Also easier to have in the office, especialy where "No animals" policy is on.
                          My son didn't particularly like it (he is into archery) but my daughter likes it so much that we got the "slackrack" for indoors and installed in the garage for winter. That one works slightly different + the garage tends to become colder than the heater can heat up, so most of winter slacklining is short and with shoes on.
                          Its May already but the weather outside is not too nice, still waiting with the outdoors line.

Comment

I just got in to it recently. love it. I made my own from ratchet straps I bought from tractor supply, and 2 carabiners that i had laying around. it is definitely harder than I though it would be, but i'm slowly getting the hang of it. you really need to do it barefoot, or in some trail gloves of five fingers. with regular sneakers on you really can't feel the line at all.

Comment

Originally posted by PeaceKaren View Post

Clearly, you've never done any serious yoga. Power yoga is an great way to build strength and the P90X yoga video is a killer!

Peace,
                              Karen
                              Still, I am laughing and now that you made that ill informed comment, laughing even harder....yoga is not about abs-centric life, sorry you live in that world...

peace to you

“you aren't what you eat - you are what you don't poop.” Wavy Gravy

Today I am Fillyjonk. Tommorow I will be Snufkin.

Comment

Working...
                              X